03-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Free Member

I've recorded some tapes with a Sony PC-1350 DV Handycam, but I cannot transfer them to my PC for editing because Sony's firewire interface suddenly damaged. So, When I capture them from a Samsung VP-D395 DV camcorder, I get video without audio. I've tried many capturing software like Amcap, WinDV, Windows Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio etc. Note that:
1) Samsung playback fine all these tapes with video and audio, and
2) other tapes recorded in Samsung are captured both with video and audio.
Any help please?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Some manufacturers always have to slightly differ from the specs, creating a nuisance like this one. By no surprise, Sony is a common brand, with DV issues. There are several high-end JVC professional DV "VCRs" (VTRs) that won't properly play back Sony-made tapes, either. Unfortunately, the JVC VTRs were often blamed for being "bad quality", but the Sony DV cam was the real culprit.

You've verified the Samsung camera is fine, both in its ability to play the Sony-made tapes with analog out (and on-camera analog preview playback), as well as playback AND export of its own Samsung-made tapes. Therefore, the Samsung camera is probably perfectly fine.

The issue seems to be in how the audio was stored on the tape by the Sony. Although DV is supposed to be standardized, I know for a fact that this isn't always the case. There are a lot of little loopholes, be it via codecs or other things.

I've seen this problem posted in forums many times through the years. The only fix is to use another Sony DV camera. It doesn't even need to be the same model -- it just needs to be a Sony-branded DV cam, according to most reported "fixes". Here's an example of several people reporting the same issues as you, discussing how they've tried all kinds of software fixes, with the only working solution having been use of another Sony DV camera.

So track down a Sony DV cam. Either borrow one from friends/family, or buy one used from Amazon or eBay.

Your only other option is to do analog output from the Samsung camera, since it seems to play analog out correctly (from these Sony tapes), and then use a DVD recorder or capture card to re-capture the video. This is not the best option, but if you use lossless/uncompressed AVI capture, or 1-hour XP mode DVD recorder recording, then quality loss should be minimal.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much for your explanatory response.
By the way I have to complain about Sony products. In recent years, I've three cases (this camcorder, a TV set and a desktop DVD player-recorder) with fatal problems to new devices (1 to 2 years old). Maybe I'm a lucky one... Since then I've decided never buy any Sony again, although it's a so big and respectful brand.
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

What's good about Sony?
  • Sony makes great high-end televisions, both the SXRD projection line (now discontinued), many older CRTs, and the current XBR LCD series. Their premiere TVs are always really nice.
  • Sony used to re-brand excellent Samsung external computer DVD burners.
  • Sony's current model of DVD recorder, the RDR-GX257, is quite decent for recording TV.
  • Sony's software wing (their buyout of Sonic Foundry, now known as Sony Creative Software) makes great software: Sony Vegas, Sony Sound Forge
  • Some of their end-of-life VHS VCRs were decent, for a consumer product
  • Sony makes excellent CMOS chips for digital cameras, found in both top-of-the-line Sony DLSR and Nikon D3 series equipment.
So I wouldn't discount them entirely.

At least they're one of the few name brands that still manufacturers many of their own parts and products in 2010, unlike "big names" like RCA, Sanyo, Philips, Kodak, Polaroid, JVC, etc. Huge list of companies that just buy no-name products from companies like Funai, and then sell them cheap in the USA.

But that's really all that I can say positively for their company. Probably half or more of their other stuff is overpriced, be it video games consoles, MP3 "walkmans", camcorders, DVD players, lower-end TV sets, etc.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!