Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooks
Maybe add the JVC HR-S8600EU (PAL)
Seems to have both TBC and DNR according to the manuel.
Link to the manuel.
http://www.retrevo.com/support/JVC-H.../319ci067/t/2/
Thanks

forgot the links to my post.
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...=1#post1985212
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...=1#post1987954
cheers
I'll go ahead and requote your posts here, so readers don't have to flip back and forth between sites to read what you wrote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooks View Post
Hi thanxs for a very informative thread on VHS to DVD transfer.

I would like you to add the JVC HR-S8600EU (PAL) on the list.

My old Panasonic NV-HD610 VHS that i pulled out of the closet last year was broken, so I needed a replacement as i had decided to transfer my old family videos to dvd before it was tooooo late.

I learnt on the internet that a VHS with a s-video output would improve the pic quality. Throw in TBC and the quality, depending on the source, might or might not improve further.

s-video output seems to come from mostly S-VHS machines. Stand alone TBCs are too expensive and are hard to find used.
Then I stumbled upon this thread which gave a list of S-VHS which had both, quite help full indeed.
So using this as a reference i waited and nothing happened.

Then from Last month until now, all heavens broke loose.
1. Panasonic NV-HS 860, missed cos I was at work.
2. Panasonic NV-FS 200 - no remote, missed cos i was at a dinner. Very annoying indeed.
3. JVC HR-S7500, missed by an hour !!
4. JVC HR-S7500, the guy promised but never called back?
5. JVC HM-DH40000U, the ad claimed an american imported NTSC, but living in europe i have only PAL tapes.
6. JVC HR-S8600EU, this appeared yesterday and the ad claimed it had TBC. Not wanting another miss i decided to buy it. Not being on the list, I verified, and it seems to have both TBC and DNR according to the downloaded manual which goes like this.

"Your video recorder is equipped with the Digital TBC (Time
Base Corrector) that removes jitter from fluctuating video signals
to deliver a stable picture even with old tapes and rental
cassettes.
The on/off of Digital 3-DNR (Noise Reduction) which cuts noise
and enables clear picture reproduction is also linked to this
function."
* The default setting is "ON".

The VHS arrives next week so I hope it is not too worn out.

7. JVC DV S-VHS HRS1, this is still around but with no description except a picture which shows a DV & S-VHS combo and with a price tag of around $445 i guess this is goint to be around for a while.
I couldnt find any information on this combo, maybe it has wrong descriptions. Does any body have any idea on this unusal combo??
I hope I am not making another big miss on this one.
Here is the combos image link.

http://195.149.144.149/images/26/2607531205.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooks View Post
I collected the HR-S8600 yesterday and its seems to be ok so far.

@danno78 Yes I had already ordered the HR-S8600 as I couldnt find any information on the HR-DS1 or whatever the name used for the DV/S-VHS combo in the picture.
What I meant by miss, is if it is a better machine than the 8600 just like I missed the NV-FS 200. Thanx for the info anyway and if there is a next time i shall try the Panasonics.

@victoriabears and themasters1 I am new to bidding on the internet. That is good info. shall try it next time. Thanx
Just going back over your "missed" list, 1-7 VCRs, I'd say this:

1. Eh, not the end of the world. Not my first choice anyway.

2. Tough loss here. I'd still consider hunting one of these down for its ability to play back EP mode (SLP mode) VHS tapes better than JVC units. Then again, a lot of European tapes tend to be SP and LP only, so it may not be all that important for you.

3. The 7500 was a good deck. A bit older. That's mostly a PAL model, similar to the USA's JVC 7600 deck.
4. Same as last one.

5. Yeah, you didn't want that one. Great USA VCR, useless for PAL.

6. This is the 8600 you've asked about primarily, so I'll get to it in a minute.

7. I've heard this model number a good bit lately -- and I think it was discussed several times on this very forum. I don't remember all the minutia of the conversations, so do some searching and reading on this site.

Now then, back to the 8600...

How does this deck compare to the features illustrated on the current playback hardware suggestions guide? It explains the features of the JVC S-VHS VCRs and related hardware for getting good quality video transfers. See http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...k-hardware.htm

It sounds like it has everything that it needs to have, to be considered one of the better high end decks, but I want to double check before looking to add it to the list on both sites.

Thanks for your input!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors