digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   No sound on ATI All In Wonder capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2292-sound-ati-wonder.html)

bbartley9 06-26-2010 07:10 AM

Just to clarify, do I need this audio connection (external or internal) for proper capture, or is it only needed to play back sound into the computer's speakers when viewing live? My first capture did not have audio, so I was thinking this connection is needed (ie, SW is grabbing the sound from the system's audio card rather than over AGP bus from Radeon card)

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

admin 06-27-2010 06:35 PM

No sound on ATI All In Wonder capture?

4 Attachment(s)
The sound card is needed for audio. The ATI All In Wonder (AIW Radeon) cards only capture and record the video, using its hybrid hardware/software recording.

It only goes over the AGP bus if there is an internal wiring connection made.

Otherwise you have to do a loop-back from the audio card "line out" to the black ATI "output" bundle. That audio is actually an input, although most other wires on the squid are outputs for TV out (s-video and composite), as well as an SPDIF audio connector. Since I don't have any SPDIF, in or out, I don't recall if that's an SPDIF input or output.

... Let me take the side off my computer and take some photos for you...
... A benefit of being Premium Member, I'll add!

Alright, here we go...

Ideally, you want the internal connection. Here's a close-up of the insides of one of my systems, with the ATI All In Wonder 9600 Pro Radeon AGP card on top, and the Turtle Beach PCI audio card directly underneath it. It's connect by a 4-pin audio cable, with most of the cable tied into a coil because the distance is so short.

Attachment 873

Attachment 874

And then for illustration only, I've plugged in the audio bundle to the back of another system, which has an ATI AIW 9200 card. This one shows the audio looping out of the soundcard, and back into the capture card via the ATI "output bundle" (a squid of black wires).

Attachment 871

Attachment 872

I don't actually use this method -- all systems are internally wired.

Internally wired audio comes across the AUX channel in most cases. You'll need to be sure the ATI AIW card is set up correctly, using the Initialization Wizard found in the settings (checkbox) of ATI MMC (TV icon).

Some of this has already been discussed on the ATI All In Wonder capture guides --
-- specifically the sound setup guide at: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...d-settings.htm

If you need more help, just ask. :)

bbartley9 06-27-2010 07:19 PM

Excellent ... thanks! And the photos are very helpful. I need to grab a PCI sound card, since this PC only has onboard integrated audio right now, and the internal audio connector is hooked to the DVD drive's output.

admin 06-29-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbartley9 (Post 11957)
Excellent ... thanks! And the photos are very helpful. I need to grab a PCI sound card, since this PC only has onboard integrated audio right now, and the internal audio connector is hooked to the DVD drive's output.

There's really not much point in having the audio connector hooked up to an optical drive. Nobody uses it anyway. That wiring option exists for systems where the analog audio is piped directly into a soundcard from an audio CD. For more than a decade now, all audio tends to be run through digital audio extraction, and software modulated with a media player, bypassing that wire. I haven't seen drives with integrated headphone/speaker options in years now, the most common use of that wiring connection.

Note that I may be fumbling some of the terms here (it's been a long time). If nothing else, know that such a connection hasn't really been needed since the 1990s.

But...

All this said, however, you're better off with dedicated audio cards. Integrated cards are a common cause of audio sync issues and dropped frames.

I highly suggest a Creative Labs Sound Blaster card. You can get them at good prices from Amazon. Looking right now, I see cards from $3 used (plus shipping) up to the normal $50 range. That's what I'd buy.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to make Turtle Beach PCI audio cards anymore. (There's a few at Amazon, but I don't necessarily suggest those exact models. Not that they're bad, but just that I've not tested them in an ATI setup before.) The Santa Cruz cards were perfect in ATI systems. Maybe the other ones are, too?

Hope that helps. :)

bbartley9 07-20-2010 11:08 PM

Got the cables hooked up (ATI AIW 9000 to sound card Aux input) and figured out the sound/mixer controls in Windows for my sound card (Diamond XS5.1). I am noticing the recorded/captured sound and playback/speaker sound coming from my AV source (VCR right now) has distortion, the kind you get when a speaker is overdriving. I followed the online guide for audio, adjusted the rec volume and playback volume to try to find a sweet spot, but it just always has this distortion in the louder moments. My sound card sounds great playing a CD, and I even checked it's line-in input with another audio source and that sounded clean. So I am suspecting the AIW card CD-out connector is coming out too hot for the sound card Aux input.

I also tried the AIW output cable (external) connection to the sound card's Line-In, and I get slightly less distorted audio, but still the same kind of thing. The original source audio out of the VCR still sounds much cleaner when played right into a TV set, versus over the purple cable into AIW and then out of the computer speakers (or in the captured AVI).

Are there any other AIW settings I need to look at, to control the level going out over the internal cable? I don't see much in the TV settings to control audio, except sample rate (I'm using 48k and 16 bit).

admin 07-21-2010 01:31 AM

It's something with your audio card. Lower the volume for audio and video down to about 50% and then mute unused audio. You really only need Master, Wave and the one recording channel. Be sure all of them are set to 50%.

Also be sure you're not using a microphone port, or that it's not in some sort of "microphone mode" if it only has a single input. All cards appear slightly different in the Volume Control, and some have custom systray software (the icons by your clock) for various controls/features, so I don't have too many details to help you.

You've not missed anything in the ATI software.

The VCR may be the problem, too. Testing another source in the Line In of the audio card doesn't really prove anything. You'd have to plug the VCR into the Line In directly, bypassing the AIW hardware, to compare. For this, you'd need RCA-to-mini adapters or wires (from somewhere like Radio Shack). But the AIW wiring just passes the audio, it's not attenuating anything. So those tests are unlikely to give results pointing at ATI hardware/software faults.

Your wires could also be bad (not the ATI wires, the other wires from the VCR).

Are you using a PCI audio card, or is this still the built-in audio on the motherboard? (If so, know this is a common issue with motherboard audio -- they're just not very well made.)

Mejnour 01-31-2013 02:05 PM

Hello,

Your internal wiring setting seem to work for me, otherwise I will not have audio when capturing with virtual dub.

Is it normal that the only way to get audio when capturing is when I chose "Recording device" as audio capture peripheric. The 2 others choice are ATI rage and SB live. I tried to understand how the sound path work.

If I am correct the audio pass first by ATI rage that is link 2)SB live and then to the recording device??

Thanks

kpmedia 02-01-2013 03:20 PM

The sound path on every computer, because of differing hardware, is almost unique. Sometimes it cam take a while to figure out.
So the answer to your question is (1) It depends, and (2) I think so.

Mejnour 02-01-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpmedia (Post 24774)
The sound path on every computer, because of differing hardware, is almost unique. Sometimes it cam take a while to figure out.
So the answer to your question is (1) It depends, and (2) I think so.

According to what I read on digitalfaq, a good sound car is a must, but now, according to your answer, I have no certitude that the sound path is as it should be i.e. optimal :question:

kpmedia 02-01-2013 10:27 PM

A good sound card is required -- yes, check.

But the sound cards vary. Some, for example, come with built in ways to hear the audio while you capture on VirtualDub. Others do not. I know -- it's complicated to explain. You almost have to see a half dozen different systems in action to understand. I'd literally have to see your system, even the OS version and drivers versions it's using, to give that level of help. Audio cards are actually more challenging that video cards, because there's so many out there.

Mejnour 02-02-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpmedia (Post 24792)
A good sound card is required -- yes, check.

But the sound cards vary. Some, for example, come with built in ways to hear the audio while you capture on VirtualDub. Others do not. I know -- it's complicated to explain. You almost have to see a half dozen different systems in action to understand. I'd literally have to see your system, even the OS version and drivers versions it's using, to give that level of help. Audio cards are actually more challenging that video cards, because there's so many out there.

:) I guess I will have to do some experiments!

If I knew in what I was going into when I began this project, I will have think about it twice!

Just kidding:D