Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Free Member

you bet thanks about that. by the way, it's a us/canada model, right ? not a european ?

thanks to answer
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Japan / North American, yes. Sold originally in the USA.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Free Member

hi admin, tell me, for the playback hardware, what are the utility of those devices for the process:

- SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer $300
- Elite Video BVP-4 Plus Proc Amp $590

i'm asking because i want to know if i still have to get more video hardware, since i already got the s-vhs vcr, monster cables, multi system vcr ant a tbc (i almost got them all, infact).

thanks to answer

Last edited by monks19; 07-29-2010 at 10:46 PM.
07-31-2010, 03:47 AM

- SignVideo DR-1000 Image Enhancer
This device increases edge sharpness of video. It's almost identical to the "unsharp mask" function found in Photoshop -- but it's a piece of hardware that does it live, and on video. It can work well for VHS tapes, which are soft by nature. Only use it when needed.

- Elite Video BVP-4 Plus Proc Amp $590
This is a color processing amplifier, and it adjusts/augments the color, IRE, luma, tint, and saturation. It also adjust "brightness/contrast" by way of luma and IRE settings.

The thicker Philips cables can be just as good as Monster, but at a reduced cost. (In other words, not the cheap Philips sold at Walmart, but the better/thicker ones sold online and in some Lowe's and Home Depot stores.)

I use the Elite Video BVP4+ regularly, but the detailer less often. The disadvantage of adding edge detail is that it can cause aliasing, edge noise/ghosting, and increase bitrate needs of the MPEG. It needs to be used smart.

08-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Free Member

ok, but those functions aren't included with a tbc ?

by the way, for audio capture from any kind of sources (75, 33, 45 discs, video, etc) what device can you suggest me for proffessional capture and restoration, because right now i have to use the rear control panel to get sound, but it's very messy. any alternative ?

thanks to answer
08-05-2010, 01:53 AM

No.

The AVT-8710 has a wussy little proc amp inside, and it only does very minor little corrections. A dedicated proc amp can make far more powerful adjustments to video colors and values.

I don't know of any TBC that gives true edge sharpening like a dedicated detailer, or the sharpen slider on a Panasonic S-VHS VCR.

Run the audio through a mixer for pre-processing. Any decent $100 board from Tapco, Behringer, Yamaha or Mackie works fine. Just be sure it has at least 3 EQs, and multiple gain adjustments. My board has these in sliders, as opposed to dials, but both are fine. Be sure it's a stereo processing board, not a mono one.

For records (LPs), you need a good player. Those $100 USB "convert to CD" players are crap -- get a turn table that has a good arm and head. I still use a high end stereo from the 80s.

08-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Free Member

ok, can you give me adresses of online canadian (or others that can deliver in canada) stores where to find all this (proc amp, edger & audio pre-processing mixer) ?

thanks to answer
08-06-2010, 07:11 AM

Not really.

The proc amp can only be found used. Look on eBay, craigslist, or similar types of sites.

The audio mixers at Amazon Canada are not ones I'd recommend either.
At Amazon USA, look at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000J5XS3C
It's a Behringer Xenyx 802, under $100, good enough for this task.

08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Free Member

hi, i found these on ebay. wich do you recommand me ?

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

thanks to answer
08-08-2010, 05:40 AM

None of the above.

While decent, Vidicraft equipment is from the mid/late 80s and early 90s. It's composite connection gear. It's good if you're on a budget. I won't say anything bad about it, but it's not the best you can get. I've used Vidicraft gear in the past.

If you want "the best" in quality, opt for one that has s-video as the connection in/out of the box.

Vidicraft was bought out by Studio 1 Productions (Studio One) in the 90s, which was then renamed and/or sold to what is now SignVideo. Along the way, all of the Vidicraft gear was updated and upgraded by the various companies that owned it.

I have a Studio 1 Production "Image Enhancer" -- which is their name for the detailer (not the proc amp), at the time that Studio1 was making these boxes.

The current model is $450 directly from SignVideo, new: http://www.signvideo.com/single_dual...-processor.htm

You'll almost never find these on eBay, although it does happen if you are patient and check back once per week. Within 6 months, you'll find one for under $100. (Why so cheap? Well, because most people that want one give up looking after a few weeks or months. Other times, the seller fails to label it a proc amp.)

I'd just spend the $450 if this is a business cost.

08-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Free Member

hi, can you give me a link of the philips cable you have in mind ? because i didn't find any except the cheaper one from WM.

thanks to answer
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Philips s-video cable at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000BQU4OU
It just needs to be a thick shielded cable, not a thin and flimsy one.

Monster is another option, although it needlessly costs about double the price (or more).

08-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Free Member

hi admin, could you give me your opinion about the panasonic ag-3200 (s-vhs vcr) ? is it a good machine ?

thanks to answer
08-31-2010, 03:57 AM

The AG-3200 appears to be identical to the JVC HR-S101US.
Curiously, however, it cost $400 compared to the $300-350 price of the JVC unit.

Panasonic was known to clone units, from time to time, under its own brand.

Compare the images below...

Panasonic:
panasonic-ag3200-vcr.jpg

JVC:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

09-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Free Member

hi, if the JVC VCR JVC SR-V101 can't play some vhs, what other device /brand can you suggest me ?

thanks to answer
09-19-2010, 09:16 AM

The JVC series machines will play most all tapes. I'd have to say at least 90% of the time or more. It really depends on your collection, and its mix of SP mode, LP mode and EP (SLP) mode recordings. The longer play EP/SLP tends to be trickier to play.

Generally speaking, the Panasonic AG1980 VCR is better with EP/SLP mode tapes than the JVC, although not ALWAYS true. Again, just generally speaking.

Sometimes neither deck can play stubborn tapes well, easily or at all. Sometimes manual tracking and re-tracking is required. Other times, you'll need a spare VCR that is easy to adjust alignment for badly-made tapes.

Anything that's a cheap commercial SLP recording should just be replaced with another copy (and hope it's better). Homemade tapes obviously cannot be easily replaced, hence all the extra work and headaches.

It may always be a case where your JVC SR-V101 is not perfectly aligned, and is the cause of errors. In this scenario, you can either have it properly realigned, or simply add another JVC VCR that may be aligned properly/differently to your VCR lineup.