07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Free Member

I am pulling my hair out here. My main issue is that when I try to capture VHS video, I am dropping many frames during all my shots that involve movement. I tried many things, and just recently on a prior post, I indicated that I tried to create an AVI file instead of an MPEG file. The AVI file continually gave me "Record Error". So I have gone back to capturing to an MPEG, but with all the changes that I have made, I am still getting the same problem...dropped frames!! HELP!!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Did you run down the list found on the Dropped Frames guide? Read that list at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...ped-frames.htm

"Record Error" may be due to several issues. A primary one is not having enough free hard drive space, or trying to record to a drive that is too busy or too slow. Capturing to a second hard drive is suggested. Also look to use the HuffYUV codec.

If the VCR is connected directly to the capture card, then it may be an issue of needing a timebase corrector (TBC). VHS signals are too messy for digital capturing devices, which rely on perfect or near-perfect signals in order to digitize the video.
Read more about TBCs at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...base-2251.html

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Free Member

First of all, thanks for the reply. I had researched the web for advice on this subject, and your site is the BEST site out there. Keep up the good work! Yes, I had read the article on dropped frames and went through each one step by step. I also have a 250 gig hard drive (not dedicated), with about 180 gig free for video editing. I will try to look into getting a TBC, but I am leary to spend the money for one, and then find out that it didn't solve my problem. I am trying to exhaust all my other avenues before I purchase one. BAsed on what you have said, it shouldn't matter if I capture to an AVI file or an MPEG file, correct? I have also tried HuffYUV..as a matter of fact, thats the first time I saw "record error". As I was reading the reviews on the top chice TBC's, I did not see anything with respect to eliminating 'dropped frames'. Did I miss something?
07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Free Member

I was wondering if Virtualdub is a better program to capture my VHS tapes with. I downloaded Virtualdub and have been playing with it. It appears to br fairly straighforward, except when I try to capture the VHS video, I haven't found a way to switch from my TUNER to the VIDEO1 input out of my VCR. Where do I find that selection?
08-01-2010, 04:19 AM

Just see these screen caps:

ati-cap-vdub0.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

ati-cap-vdub1.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

ati-cap-vdub2.jpg

Words not needed.

08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I did all that and was able to create an AVI file using Virtualdub. The results are the same. I am going to try a different VHS player next. The one I am using is a Panasonic. I also have a newer Sony that I am going to try. Thanks again
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Free Member

Well, the Sony is no different that the PAnasonic. I still get the same results. ....many, many dropped frames.
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Your issue is probably a lack of having a timebase corrector.
This is a classic example of trying to transfer VHS to digital without having TBC between the devices.

VHS is a noisy format, very chaotic. It's not clean enough for a digital device to lock on to. What happens is the signal is lost here and there, and the device simply drops those frames. With a TBC in the mix, continuous quality signal is ensured.

Get an AVT-8710 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

That should fix it.

08-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Free Member

Thanks. I have been looking at those. I am weighing wether its worth the price. If it was about 50 bucks, I would do it in a minute, but 200+ is a bit pricey. When I finish the tapes I have at hand, I don't plan on doing this again, so thats why I am having a hard time justifying the cost.
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
In the world of video, $50 is unrealistic, and $200 is cheap. Most decent video gear is $500 minimum new, with most items in the 4-digit price range. Converting VHS to DVD is a low-level pro activity, and cannot be done with only consumer gear. Some higher-end gear is needed to make it happen -- at least with any degree of quality and reliability.

You should do what many others do -- buy it for your projects, use it -- and then re-sell it when you're done. In the media professions, certain items don't lose value. Many professional camera lenses, for example. The same can be said for most TBCs, including this one.

In fact, this person did it: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...html#post12161
He has a TBC for sale, so consider buying his used gear. It'll save you about $40. These models of TBCs are not sold used too often, so take advantage of used AVT-8710's when you see them in new or like-new condition. Most 8710 TBC owners keep theirs for years and years (forever minus a day).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs