Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzblaster
Hi Sir Lordsmurf,
I looked at the buying guide. Just to let you know I have the jvc hr -s 7100u video deck
Do you think this would do a good enough job or would one of the higher models listed be a noticeably better. I don't know if that model has a built in TBC or any other stabilizing controls that a better machine might have.
Although I've not used this exact model, I do have quite a bit of knowledge on decks of this era. And I know others who have used these, and I do respect their information.

What you have here is a really old S-VHS VCR, from the late 1980s. It pre-dated most of the features and functions that made JVC S-VHS VCRs the darlings of the video capture professional and video hobbyists in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Will it be better than a consumer VHS VCR? Probably.
Will it be as good as (or better than) one of the suggested S-VHS VCRs? Probably not.

The list of suggested VCRs can be found at: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...uide-1567.html

Quote:
and what about those combo player recorders.I do have a good Toshiba standalone DVD recorder )and a panasonic, so I would just be getting that unit for the S vhs player.
Combo unit do two separate functions, often poorly. These decks were never really engineered for the two functions to meet. In other words, a DVD recorder + VCR was really made to record TV to a tape or a DVD, not to record a tape to a DVD.

A few high end JVC professional decks incorporated SR-V10/V101 S-VHS VCRs with LSI Logic chipsetted DVD recording. A few added in JVC DV playback (and recording?).
One of those scarce models can still be bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000HI3HGE

Quote:
The masters tapes are Fuji Svhs Pro, so that is good.
Yes, those are good S-VHS tapes. I've used quite a few of those myself.
TDK is another excellent tape.
Maxell was not. Not for S-VHS, at least. (Some of the high grade consumer VHS tapes were brilliant, however!)

Quote:
And what about the very talked about panasonic ag 1980. Do you think I should get one of those or a JVC. I have read getting both is the best, but I'd rather not.
Thanks for your input.
While I can understand and appreciate the sentiment to not want to spend more money (or time locating) the better VCR, it would be suggested. Not necessarily the AG-1980P, but any of the higher end S-VHS VCRs. Given the tapes your using, I'd look at one of the JVC decks, either a 7600-7900 series unit, 9600-99111 or SR-V10/V101 model unit.

The quality will be worth it.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your other advice. I have this unit. Do you know the specs. Is it worth havning fixed. I works for a while but sometimes shuts down. Don't know why. I probably can get away with using it even if I don't have it fixed. Would a higher model be much better. This the unit that I have JVC HR-S7100U
Given this extra info, I would suggest spending funds on a new and better unit, and not repairing an older and inferior deck. That would be the wisest use of your available video budget.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs