Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Free Member

I've been reading this forum for some time know and this is my first post. I've been trying to decide between an ATI AIW 9600xt and a Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

I just want to take my 8mm and Hi8 video and digitize them, so I can start editing them, archiving and eventually share with family members through DVDs and maybe online. I had my heart set on a Canopus ADVC box, but this forum has made me question that decision.

I have a newer core 2 pc, but also have a 8x agp pc. I know of other family members and friends that want to do this, so I figured I get good equipment if this is going to be an extensive project, but I dont want to be dealing with the hassle of using older technology if something like the ATI 650 or maybe a Matrox MXO2 LE can get the job done easier.

The tapes are in good shape so TBC will come later after the capture device is chosen and if I run into problems, but it will be the green one you guys always mention. Im going to use my sony camcorder for playback. I have an SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum pro, but also have MOTU 828 & 896 so getting the audio into the pc is no prob. Any help will be appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Free Member

I personally have the ATI 650 USB and please do check out the thread I created to get more info on it. It is most certainly not an "old piece of junk" and handles video capture quite spectacularly. It's not a hassle at all. The real question is, do you have an adequate VHS/8mm deck to play back the tapes on?
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Free Member

I wasn't saying the 650 was old. I said that if something newer and external, like the 650, could get the job done right then I would rather go that route instead of the AIW 9600xt. My sony ccd trv608 plays the tape back pretty well. It wasn't until I connected it directly to my flat-screen that I realized how much juice I could get out of those tapes, with the right equipment of course.
11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The ATI 9600 is going to be your best choice, in terms of hardware. But which version of Windows are you running? You'll need to be using Windows XP. Are you on Windows XP? If not, then which Windows are you using (Vista,Win7) as well as x86(32-bit) vs x64 architecture OS?

Avoiding the Canopus box would be ideal -- save it as last resort option only, which I don't think you'll run into.

If you're on Windows Vista, and have good USB2 ports that are open (not on a hub), and will mostly be capturing NTSC videos (not PAL), then your runner-up best choice would be an ATI 600 USB card. There are some concerns with ATI 750 cards that make 600 model more preferable, such as AGC gain and lack of included ATI CMC software.

While Matrox and Blackmagic cards are good, for your purposes it may be overkill -- like using a grenade on an ant bed.

And yes, a Sony TRV-608 is going to do an excellent job with Hi8 and 8mm tapes. That's a good camera for playback. Because of how 8mm/Hi8 tapes are recorded, and because of the cameras being used, you might be able to avoid false anti-copy issues that mostly plague VHS tapes -- meaning a TBC may not be required. Cross your fingers.

The "green one" is an AVT-8710 TBC, for those that may not recognize his reference off-hand.
Get that one from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
More info on TBCs at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...base-2251.html

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!

Last edited by admin; 11-01-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: removed 650 comment
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Free Member

Admin, why do you say concerns with the ATI 650 USB, when that was the model you recommended to me? I have not found any type of AGC problems so far, but there are problems with the 750. The 650 DOES come with CMC.
11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Why? Because I'm tired from a long day of work, followed by watching my favorite team lose the World Series. Much like Texas Rangers, it appears my head just isn't in the right place tonight, so I'm making errors.

I've edited my post to remove the erroneous 650 comment. Thanks.

Indeed, the 750 card is the one with reported issues.

I've seen some similar error reports from the 650 series cards, but I've not been able to confirm them from reliable sources -- it's just random online forum banter. Some of the most reliable recent information that I've gathered on the 650 cards is from you, and I thank you for your continued posts here, which will help enlighten both myself and others on the merits of this ATI card.

At this time, I do not own a 650 or 750, but I do have a 600 card, and suggest it highly based on it's performance even when compared to slightly dated professional cards from Matrox and others.

Hope that clears it up. Forbid I add confusion.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, the Sony CCD-TRV608 does have a built in TBC/DNR circuit. Granted its likely not full frame, but does help with playback. Sadly Sony abandoned their Video 8/HI8 "XR" format extension (boosted quality by about 10%) shortly after Digital-8 came out in 1999. Also the Digital-8 camcorders seem to lack the TBC/DNR circuit the analog units have and are only 2 head units, vs. the 4 head analog models.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: admin (11-02-2010)
11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Free Member

First of all, I feel you on the Rangers, my team did much worst, so much that if I say anything more Ill probably give them away, but that nightmare is over so lets move on to a new one, digitizing 8mm tapes.

Im going to rebuild my older pc with the agp board, an ASUS A8V Dlx, its not an Nforce 4 mobo, but its has agp 8x. The 9600xt should arrive by then. Thx for your help.
11-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Keep us updated.

Always good to have follow-ups with members, to see how their capturing setups and various projects are coming along. And to see if our advice has worked for you, of course. Thanks! I think you'll do quite nicely with that ATI 9600 card. I have that same card. Works well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs