Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Free Member

ahh, I was thinking in terms of visual quality.
Of course cables vary in "longevity" quality.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Visual quality is affected as hampered by noise, as created by inferior shielding, wire gauge, wire/header composition, etc. A good wire is a good wire, and will get a good signal. A bad cable is a bad cable, and will give a bad signal (or none at all). There isn't really a sort-of-good or sort-of-bad cable. It tends to be all or nothing. Any flaw makes it bad.

So I don't think anybody's disagreeing with you.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
I don't know where you live but for example www.elfa.se product codes 42-204-80
and 42-204-45 together will provide what you seek.
Actually, I just found out that's probably not what I needed since those are DNC plugs, not Intensity-supported RCA plugs. However I just found this piece of info, and it pretty much confirms that a cable like the one I posted is indeed the correct way to go for connecting to the Intensity pro.

Anyway, I have made some screenshots wherein I compared my newly bought Panasonic NV-HS900EG to the JVC HR-S7950EU. Frankly, for my tastes it's a bit too sharp, even with the sharpness knob on the front turned to soft (is that one for playback though?). At the same time, someone has offered me a well maintained FS200 for 225 euros, and I was thinking of buying it until I tried out this Panasonic, which you assumed to be less sharp than an FS200.Then again, I think it's not a prosumer machine, because it lacks playback options. Maybe you can make a better assumption based on included screens. In any case, I'm thinking of returning it, unless someone here would want the device for €70,-

Note that I think the B.E.S.T. mode and/or at least the tbc was turned off for the jvc at this point because it was one of those annoying scenes the capture card couldn't handle for some part and I thought the tracking system was at wrong (currently I suspect my 1t-tbc is broken though, because it should be able to fix the jolly skipping to and fro between frames, as it's an error that doesn't appear on tv like I said).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lambada (7950 interne tbc uit).jpg (77.5 KB, 24 downloads)
File Type: jpg lambada (panasonic na koppenreiniging 117 138 136).jpg (93.7 KB, 22 downloads)

Last edited by Kereellis; 01-03-2011 at 09:20 AM.
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereellis View Post
Actually, I just found out that's probably not what I needed since those are DNC plugs, not Intensity-supported RCA plugs.
The products I referred to were S-VIDEO TO Y/C BNC -cable and BNC TO RCA -adapter. Which together provide workable solution. Just to be clear. And I completely forgot bhphotovideo. Postage might prove expensive tho.

Quote:
However I just found this piece of info, and it pretty much confirms that a cable like the one I posted is indeed the correct way to go for connecting to the Intensity pro.
I thought this was already established but good to have more thorough explanation.

Quote:
Anyway, I have made some screenshots wherein I compared my newly bought Panasonic NV-HS900EG to the JVC HR-S7950EU. Frankly, for my tastes it's a bit too sharp, even with the sharpness knob on the front turned to soft (is that one for playback though?). At the same time, someone has offered me a well maintained FS200 for 225 euros, and I was thinking of buying it until I tried out this Panasonic, which you assumed to be less sharp than an FS200.Then again, I think it's not a prosumer machine, because it lacks playback options. Maybe you can make a better assumption based on included screens. In any case, I'm thinking of returning it, unless someone here would want the device for €70,-.
It's a very difficult to say anything from still pictures and without "knowing" the material. That in mind, NV-HS900EG sharpness in the picture seems about the same as FS-200. Adjusting sharpness in FS-200 and HS1000 has pretty obvious results and doesn't make you think "did something happen". If you don't see a change when adjusting then HS900 does it differently. What options does NV-HS900EG lack? It seems to miss the advanced edit controls that HS1000 has, but those like most other options are not needed for capturing VHS.

I could be interested of HS900 for 70€

BTW the 1T-TBC "grid" is pretty evident in the first screen.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: Kereellis (01-03-2011)
01-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The products I referred to were S-VIDEO TO Y/C BNC -cable and BNC TO RCA -adapter. Which together provide workable solution. Just to be clear. And I completely forgot bhphotovideo. Postage might prove expensive tho.
Sorry, seems I mistook 'together' for 'either'. I also expected a single adapter like in that image I posted and didn't expect a workaround. However, I'm probably simpler, maybe even cheaper off importing that $7 cable from a US based dealer I guess.

Quote:
What options does NV-HS900EG lack?
Most notably a tbc-button on/off if I'm not mistaken..
Admittedly I didn't even know what that CVC button was supposed to do yesterday (every manufacturer seems to have a weird name for their image improving functions) and I may even had it turned off (explaining the apparent lack of influence of the knob perhaps?). I'll run a short capture test of that scene again to see if it matters. Also, I could take pictures of the front/ back/ remote for you to inspect.

Quote:
BTW the 1T-TBC "grid" is pretty evident in the first screen.
Would make sense, it seems the grid is more apparent or may only happen on smoother images. The Easycap usb stick adds a similar effect (not to bash the thing, I owe much piece of mind thanks to my earlier captures with it), but I didn't notice any grid until I switched from my Sharp to a JVC. On vhs sharpness is often graininess, and it seems the latter is easier to convert to pixels by some devices.