09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Hello,

I have installed ATI AIW 9600 apg 128mb board on a computer running Windows XP. The contents displayed in the CD “release notes” are:

Software release 7.963 dec 16, 2003,
Radeon display driver 7.963, MMC 8.7
besides Hydravision e Remotewonder.

There are some discussions in the forum about these software releases. I have got surprised to see how these old versions could be better under certain circumstances. I can not understand why ATI would undertake a new release to achieve a worst performance! I would appreciate help about this issue.

1. Should I upgrade to the newest version recommended in the ATI support page for this board? Or should I keep my CD installation version? Is there any upgrade I should do? In the ATI download page there are separate packages for Catalyst Suite and MMC. If some older MMC version is better, should I install it and then upgrade to the newest Catalyst anyway?

2. Videosoap is not available in my MMC installation CD (I suppose it is MMC 8.7). How could I implement it?

Thanks for help.
Edgar
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Having used ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards since 2001, the beginning of the AIW Radeon line, I can say that very few updates have ever been worth the effort.

Worthwhile updates have included:
- 2003 video capture drivers
- 2004 video capture drivers
- ATI MMC 7.7
- ATI MMC 8.1
- ATI MMC 8.7
- ATI MMC 9.02

Aside from those updates, ATI releases have done little to nothing for users, in terms of video capture. Any capture drivers (now known as the Catalyst package) tends to work fine, but the older drivers from 2003/2004 seem to work better.

I suggest either ATI MMC 8.7 or 9.02, as other versions have various flaws (crashing, bad settings, timer problems, lack of VideoSoap, etc).

ATI MMC 8.7 has VideoSoap. If you need a copy of ATI MMC 8.7, download it here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...ati-mmc-87.rar

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for your answer. Therefore, I will downgrade mmc! I’d like to try mmc 9.02 first. Would you please give me some link for it? I can’t find it at ATI download page.

Besides, I have some doubts about the process as a whole.
After downloading last ATI installation packages, there are five files to run in the following order:

Catalyst 7-8
1) 7-8 xp32 dd ccc wdm enu 50960.exe

Multimedia software
2) DAO 9-14 mmc uci.exe
3) dvd decoder atiCDwiz.exe (may be skipped, as your wrote in another post)
4) encoder package 6-12 xcode 38463.exe
5) multimedia center 9-16 mmc enu.exe

Therefore, multimedia center is the last step of the whole catalyst and multimedia software packages.
For the desired downgrade, should I just run mmc-9.02.exe instead of the newest version as shown above? Alternatively, should I look for all older drivers, DAO and encoders available when mmc-9.02 or mmc 8.7 was first released? Which set of drivers, DAO and encoders are better to support mmc 9.02 or mmc 8.7 ? Where can I find them? Catalyst 6.9 version is the oldest available at ATI download links.

Thanks again,
Edgar
09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

I recently upgraded my main system.
Previous: Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 1
Now: Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 2

I went ahead and installed the newest Catalyst 6.11 drivers, and everything works great. In fact, better than it was before. My main card is the 7200 from 2001, so I do run into some BIOS issues. Your newer 9000-series card should not have any issues.

I'd install Catalyst 6.11:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...11-drivers.rar

Then ATI MMC 8.7 or 9.02
http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...ati-mmc-87.rar
http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...ti-mmc-902.rar

Only those two items should be needed, nothing else.

As posted on the sticky, ATI does still archive many previous ATI AIW driver/MMC versions.
This page here has 2001-2005 files: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...uestionID=1328 (2009 update - ATI page appears to be dead link)

Hope that helps.

10-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Hello,

After many reboots during many days, I am back to report my frustrating experiences trying to unsuccessfully install ATI software for my AIW 9600 AGP. Maybe ATI software is incompatible with my system (Asus A7N-266, nvidia chipset, 1 GB memory, Athon xp1900, Windows xp professional sp2). It is hard to believe, Catalyst supports Virtual Dub better than supports MMC. But I want also to capture some live TV directly in mpeg2 to save space and time.

I have followed your directions about Catalyst 6.11 in order to install mmc 9.02, but it didn’t work.
There were two error messages early during unpacking process. “INF error Video driver not found” and “Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup”.

I uninstalled everything, then I ran Driver Cleaner and tried to install Catalyst 6.11 again. The same errors occurred. Then I let Windows find and install Radeon 9600 video adapter driver. Then I repeated the process and the same messages returns!

I have mmc 8.8 in the original installation CD. Anyway, this alternative does not work for me because it does not allow mpeg2 under PAL-M recording (Brazilian TV broadcasting system). Only NTSC (525 lines scan) and PAL (625 lines scan) are available in mmc recording wizard dialog. PAL-M (525 lines, the same as NTSC) is available for AVI recording only, but not for mpeg2.

The newer Catalyst 7.8 and mmc 9.16 installs without errors. The recording wizard dialog still does not include PAL-M (only NTSC and PAL), but surprisingly “one touch button” records PAL-M with correct colors under NTSC settings. MMC 9.16 works very bad, it does not allow disabling “TV on demand” (if I try to modify Windows registry parameters, it crashes) and it crashes too when stop recording avi.

So, please, what else can I try before sell that ATI board?
10-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

I'd install an older graphics driver (video driver). That may be the problem. Find one randomly at the ATI archives. http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...?deptID=894&ta sk=knowledge&questionID=1328

I don't know what to pick, but I'd suggest something that is a couple of years old. I do a lot of trial and error, so I'd try 3-4 drivers.

To change these, you'll do it manually in Windows. Go to Control Panels, be sure you're in the old-fashioned mode, where you can see the SYSTEM icon (not the new dummy-friendly mode that is default with XP). I forget what it's called, because I have XP eye-candy turned off on my main system that I'm typing at.

Anyway, go to SYSTEM and then go to the HARDWARE tab. Click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Find the DISPLAY ADAPTERS section, and click the little + to expand it. Right-click on the ATI (or Generic) driver and update driver. Update it with the driver you downloaded.

I'd go into further detail, but the ATI site has been down for days now when I try to dig for more files. The above link is not working for me. Ever since AMD bought ATI, everything has gotten messy.

I'll keep looking as best as I can, see what I can dig up. You may want to take a gander at the RAGE3D site, which is dedicated to the graphics half of ATI cards (not much on video there, just graphics). But you problem here is graphics, the display driver. Maybe you can try adding the driver off your CD?

I think everything else will work, it's just the display driver having issues.

You'll need to reboot a few times if and when the display installs fine, then try the MMC again.

11-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Thank you for your effort to help.

It is difficult to understand this error message (“video driver not found”) because Catalyst 6.11 includes a display driver in the so-called integrated software (dd, ccc and wdm). I have tried all possible alternatives since a generic VGA driver (after uninstalling all ATI software) until other ATI display drivers previously installed. The same error message appears when installing Catalyst 6.11. I think the problem is not with the display driver because other (older and newer) Catalyst versions don’t have display drivers conflicts. The message (“video driver not found”) only appears when I try to install Catalyst 6.11. I used both installation files (the one from the link you provided and the other from ATI download pages). Since other Catalyst software installs correctly, I’ll discard this version, which looks incompatible with my computer system. I have other more serious problems to solve.

I have installed Catalyst from installation CD. There is no information on the CD about version, but it seems to be something between Catalyst 3.9 and 4.8. Information in the CD release notes is: “Software release 7.963 dec 16, 2003, Radeon display driver 7.963, MMC 8.7”. It installed ok and didn’t display error messages. There are no display drivers conflicts. Device Manager looks ok also. There is some error messages displayed by pccheck, which does not recognizes correctly my hardware, but it installs anyway.

The problem with this configuration, as mentioned earlier in another post, is that “recording wizard dialog” enables only avi capture under our PAL-M broadcast system. But it doesn’t capture mpeg2 under PAL-M. If I set to NTSC, it captures mpeg2 with wrong colors. PAL-M is very different from PAL, but is very similar to NTSC, so that mmc 9.16 captures PAL-M correctly under NTSC specifications. Unfortunately, mmc 8.7 or 9.02 do not have this ability. The problem with mmc 9.16 is that it doesn’t disable “TV on demand” and it crashes after stopping an avi capture and it has sound issues...

As another forum member said in a post, I am having my horror experience too. ATI software is incredibly idiosyncratic. It looks a matter of luck to find the right combinations and configurations among computer system, AIW board, Catalyst versions, mmc versions and regional broadcast system.

Is there any other capture software that could work with AIW 9600? I have tried Chris TV, but I found sound issues.
11-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

What's really strange is that I'm using ATI MMC 8.7, on a 7200 32MB card, and I can capture PAL-M standard with it. I've got a VCR that plays PAL-M tapes.

ATI AIW cards pretty much require ATI MMC for MPEG captures, as it uses a special hybrid hardware/software encoding method. Anything else will be software-only, and not work as well. The only other product I ever saw that could capture decent was the MainConcept Encoder v1.4. I don't know if the newer versions of MainConcept still have this function, and the software does cost a 3-digit price. It ran okay on a P4 1.8Ghz system, but to work really well, I imagine that an Intel Core 2 Duo or Pentium D 3.2Ghz+ would be required.

Removing all ATI drivers and software may be required. Uninstall anything ATI, and then remove all ATI hardware in the Device Manager. Reboot, let it use a generic display driver. Run CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com and let it remove any stray ATI junk left behind. Start over with what comes on your CD. Then install a newer ATI MMC on top of it.

I don't know if that works, but it may at least give some ideas.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Ralpphilz (05-19-2020)