02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
For the sake of posterity, I'm also going to archive a copy of the excellent DV capture/transfer software WinDV.
(I just finished archiving Scenalyzer 3.5 and Scenalyzer Live 4.0 in another post.)

Read the Introduction to DV Video / DV Myth Guide for more information on what WinDV is, and why you should use it.

To download the files, simply register for the forum (it's free!), and then login and download the templates below. That's it. Your e-mail address is not sold (no spam!), and you'll be joining a community dedicated to digital media topics -- especially when it comes to creating high quality DVDs! We do this to prevent leeching and download abuse.

If you're not sure what to do with the attached ZIP or RAR files, then read this help post.

As an added extra, I've include the now-available (since January 2010) WinDV source code, which was released by the developer. Historically, releasing source code is never a good thing -- it often means the developer has completely lost interest and it's a dead project. It's worth noting that WinDV has not been update since 2003, and may or may not work well beyond Windows XP. However, since it's free, there's no harm in testing it. Be sure to report your finding in this post.

And for no particular reason, a screen shot of the original website.

Windows 7/8/10 install fix: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post52974

Attached Files
File Type: zip WinDV-1.2.3.zip (38.0 KB, 803 downloads)
File Type: zip WinDV-sourcecode-1.2.3.zip (39.6 KB, 212 downloads)
File Type: rar WinDV_screenshot.rar (120.6 KB, 250 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: captainvic (05-29-2019), NDX420 (11-25-2017), NowHereThis (03-07-2019), pipur (11-18-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Having the source code is a GOOD thing. It allows anyone to update to program if it breaks in newer versions of Windows, fix bugs, and add features.
02-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Having the source code is a GOOD thing. It allows anyone to update to program if it breaks in newer versions of Windows, fix bugs, and add features.
Yes and no.

When a developer releases source code on an old project (where source code was previously unavailable), it's generally a sign that the programmer has lost interest or moved on to other projects. On the part of the developer, this is a very noble and respectable gesture, as it means he or she would like to see it carry on in the hands of another open-source community developer.

However, with the rise of Chinese crapware in the past 5 years, coders from low-rent countries tend to simply steal the code and incorporate it into their monstrosity of a one-click program --- all for $39.95! From what I've observed in the past 3-4 years, you don't often see people taking over projects and continuing development, while retaining the original spirit of software freedom. I've seen a lot of that go on with WordPress themes and plugins in the past 2-3 years, and it's both sad and disgusting. In some niches, open source is very much on a decline, and video happens to be one of those areas where free tools seem to be. A lot of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X tools are aging, and many cease to function as the OS versions progress.

It's been more than a year since the source code was released for WinDV, and I'm not aware of anybody making good use of it. I mostly wanted to archive it here, just in case, should the original site disappear (as often happens, when somebody has lost interest).

I can't further the code, but I thought I could at least help in this small way, acting as archivist.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs