03-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

To make things easier got a Seagate media player were u plug in a hard drive and watch it on the TV.

Got a bunch of PAL recordings, which I didn't record.

Now when u play these videos on the hard drive they skip all over the place. It plays like X amount of seconds freezes than plays 1 frame back, than normal.

A lot of this stuff is old VHS material, which was recorded to DVD.

I also own a ton of PAL Store purchased DVD's they all play perfect on these VHS to DVD copies, the timing and motion is out of whack...It is like slo mo than normal, it doesn't play smooth.....(this is another problem)

they play ok on the PC cause of the refresh rates...

Thinking it is a field order problem, or the hard drive player, however they play just as crappy on DVD.

Now that I have spotted these skips, I am starting to see them in my recordings. I found a few, and than spotted a few on VHS playback....

The frames work like this....

the video plays, than replays 1 frame back than goes forward creating a jitter effect in the video.

I am sure this happens a lot but most people don't pick it up, or dive in to pinpoint bad frames in a video.....

On the JVC MV5 with an external TBC, I can play these video ok, it will sometimes bypass the skipping problem, but they still do happen...

It is also understood many different things can cause this to happen....

Any Advise?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is caused by poor conversion from the original NTSC sources to the PAL versions.
Or at least, that's usually the situation.

Were these native PAL sources? (Not common.)
Or was this an NTSC broadcast, film, etc -- that was later converted to PAL for distribution. (Most common.)

Many, many, MANY, official VHS releases are like this. The interlacing is messed up, as the work was budget grade -- sometimes even done on consumer quality gear (consumer off-the-shelf VCRs, not pro recording VTRs).

Ghosting is sometimes cured with srestore() in Avisynth.

Choppiness can almost be irreversible, depending on how many generations of signal conversion caused the problem.

If you mess up interlace, and then re-interlace it again, that can be beyond repair. Moreso if any resizing was involved. In these situations, I've found that sometimes you can load the video in VirtualDub, run Yadif deinterlace, then directly beneath it run a Deinterlace Area-Based filter. I did that just 3-4 days ago for a small clip. It worked. The Area-Based filter doesn't concern itself with interlacing exactly, but targets instead the combing artifacts. It can attempt to restore progressiveness with a true decomb, but the better choice can the blend the mess on bad recordings. Area-Based has both options. Try both, see what works.

One thing I've not yet tried is to run srestore() after the area-based decomber, when it was set to blend. That may be a fun experiment.

Not sure if any of these methods apply to you videos, however. To some degree, that almost sounds like more of a codec error, or a file corruption issue. I recently opened up some files that I made back in 1999 or 2000, using an early version of MPEG-4 encoding (Divx version 3, maybe?) and I could not find anything that would play it without skipping all over the place. What you describe for your videos actually sounds pretty close to what I saw then.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

These are pure PAL Recordings....

PAL VHS converted to PAL DVD

Using a Panasonic AG PAL Unit and JVC PAL Recorder

Models I do not know......
03-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'd have to see clips.
Snip off 29MB, and attach the .mpg file to reply post.

Use Womble MPEG-VCR, if you have it.

If these are 4GB ISO files, I could give you a temporary FTP to upload one.
Will take hours to upload, hours to download.
So several days minimum turn-around on that. 29MB clip faster. But the option is there, for Premium Members.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-31-2011, 01:50 AM
Premium Member

After reviewing this even more it is a duplicate frame problem. After I spotted this on the PAL recordings, now it is starting to show up on my recordings. Using the MV5 to record the videos.

Ripping them with VOB2MPG v3

Sometimes w/ VOB2MPG. is doesn't show 100% w/ the time stamps normally just re-record the video. Question can VOB2MPG v3 causing this duplicate frame problem when ripping DVD's created from an MV5 recorder.
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Question can VOB2MPG v3 causing this duplicate frame problem when ripping DVD's created from an MV5 recorder.
That's my initial thought, too.
Consider using DVD Decrypter, and then comparing the rips/extractions.

05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Ok, Started this topic back in march.

This has been kind of a nightmare......

Found a few different reasons for this problem...

The main reason was caused by windows 7

after downloading NET Framework 4.0

Kind of fixed this....
05-11-2011, 03:01 AM

Strange. I don't see the connection. But glad it works, all the same!

05-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

I didn't see the connection either. Tried to email the designer of VOB2MPG v3 but he never emailed back. Than on his website was reading around and saw a few things......

The problem never happened when I was working on a Vista or XP machine. Unless the disk was ripped on a Windows 7 machine. On disks ripped on the Vista or XP machine they would work fine unless I did the edits on the Windows 7 machine, than it would have duplicate frames.

Called an IT guy and we both said the problem was in VOB2MPG v3 and the software being used to edit the videos. So the software is now beening ran in Windows XP mode on the Windows 7 machine.

Supported Systems
Windows XP (SP2 min), Vista, Windows 7
32-bit and 64-bit versions of the above operating systems
.Net Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5

And than

(requires .Net Framework 2.0 and XP SP2 or greater)

* Please note all past videos which were ripped to the Windows 7 machines still have the duplicate frame problem. Those disks do need to be re-ripped.

** On some videos every once in a while the duplicate frame problem will show up in a video. It is now easy to fix.

#1 Re-record the video again
#2 Create a new frame table for the video
05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
"ChrissyBoy" (developer of SVCD2DVD/VOB2MPG) isn't responding? Hmmm.....
Seems he's been MIA since 16th Apr 2011.

The .NET Framework is a nuisance here, too. I have some programs that won't run properly on Windows 7, also. These are various utilities and web development type software, however, not video. And then I also cannot re-create your VOB2MPG Windows 7 error. One of those random Windows annoyances that's hard to peg down.

Another forum member is having issues with an ATI 600 card in Windows 7, and I have no issues here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs