03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Free Member

I've begun transferring my tapes to my pc and I'm getting different results and I'm not sure how to fix it. As you can see, the third ATI screen cap is way too bright.

Equipment: JVC HR-S9600EU / TBC AVT-8710 / ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCI Express / (canopus advc-110)

If I try to make adjustments on the avt-8710, I feel like I can compensate a little. When I press reset on the tbc, the picture goes back to very bright, brighter than before, and after a while, it seems like it auto corrects itself, but still too bright. Is that the ATI Automatic Gain Control, that I've read about in another post?

Is it a matter of correct filtering/adjusting levels somehow? Buying a proc amp (I hope not)? I've tried searching for the answer, but there's a lot of info out there.

I hope you understand me. I'm Danish and my English is a little rusty and that goes for the technical terms too

My buying equipment thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ight-2923.html

VHS picture paused in VirtualDub (capture mode)

Canopus 110 paused in VLC

ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCI Express paused in VLC

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VirtualDub.jpg (44.6 KB, 96 downloads)
File Type: jpg Canopus.jpg (34.3 KB, 93 downloads)
File Type: jpg ATI 600 HD.jpg (39.1 KB, 97 downloads)

JVC HR-S9600EU / TBC AVT-8710 / ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCI Express / (canopus advc-110)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hikaru Ichijo / Rick Hunter -- awesome!
You realize Macross is available in perfect digital quality in three methods already, yes?
  • Macross DVDs in Japanese with English subtitles, OOP (out of print. I have these.
  • Robotech DVDs, second release "Protoculture Edition" is restored + uses original audio. I have these.
  • Macross English dub on Hulu -- I've downloaded the whole set, and even fixed the audio sync error on that one episode that Hulu messed up.

Anyway...

That does look to be an AGC error, but it's a mistake to assume the ATI 600 card is at fault. What happens when you go straight from the VCR to the ATI card? I ran into an issue today were a specific tape, combined with a Panasonic AG-1980P, and an AVT-8710 caused an AGC error that made the signal go black and white. The offending device turned out to be the AVT-8710. It was fine on other tapes that I tested -- this one tape was a problem.

In fact, the AG-1980 kept insisting the VHS tape was S-VHS if I inserted it after a specific spot on the tape. However, if I rewound the tape a bit more, and then played it, the VCR understood it was VHS and gave no further issues.

Isn't video fun?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Automan (03-21-2011)
03-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I ran into an issue today were a specific tape, combined with a Panasonic AG-1980P, and an AVT-8710 caused an AGC error that made the signal go black and white. The offending device turned out to be the AVT-8710. It was fine on other tapes that I tested -- this one tape was a problem.

In fact, the AG-1980 kept insisting the VHS tape was S-VHS if I inserted it after a specific spot on the tape. However, if I rewound the tape a bit more, and then played it, the VCR understood it was VHS and gave no further issues.

Isn't video fun?
I ran into that same strange AGC error with the AVT-8710, but it simply brightened the picture. It was a unique case however. The tape in question was a Macrovision protected VHS video that was dubbed to Betamax (Tale Spin if you are curious). The only thing I can think of is that some of the residual Macrovision protection was still present on the tape throwing things off somewhere.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: Automan (03-21-2011)
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Free Member

Thank you for your help . I've got:
  • Robotech Laserdisc's - Macross/Masters
  • Robotech DVD's first release
  • Robotech DVD's second release - Protoculture Collection
  • Macross DVD's - The super dimension fortress 1 Macross (boot I guess, from ebay)
  • Robotech VHS - Macross in Clash of the Bionoids (Do you remember love with English voices and censored if I remember correctly)
  • Macross VHS - Do you remember love
  • Macross Plus VHS part 1&2
  • Macross Plus DVD
  • Macross II DVD

Aaaand so on .. also got a lot of other stuff from the 80's.

The reason I'm trying to save this, is because it's with Danish Voices and it's rare. I'm normally against voice overs but I grew up with this and the voices are amazingly close to the originals. I was sick and my mom rented a tape with the first eps and I was hooked and bought the whole Macross Saga. Here about 20 years later, I thought to myself, now or never.

I've tried disconnecting the TBC and I picked a homemade tape, with Rocklords , and went directly from the vcr to the ATI card. Also made another recording with the Canopus. Also made the experiment with Robotech again. I think we can rule out the TBC.

Same result. The picture is bright with ATI. It's a great card though. I see the potential, but I'm not fanatic about getting it to work (yeah right hehe, I bought all this gear), because I'm somewhat satisfied with the Canopus+TBC. Maybe because it's known to get fair results with PAL?

I'm just curious and wondered if I could fix it. Even though I'm a novice, I like to try out stuff and learn. I really appreciate your help.

Yes video is fun

vcr - tbc - canopus (same without tbc)

vcr - tbc - ati (same without tbc)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocklords Canopus.jpg (31.8 KB, 83 downloads)
File Type: jpg Rocklords ATI.jpg (31.2 KB, 82 downloads)

JVC HR-S9600EU / TBC AVT-8710 / ATI TV Wonder HD 600 PCI Express / (canopus advc-110)
03-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Off-topic:

Yes, Clash of the Bionoids is a re-edit of DYRL, and with English dubs. It's not great, but it's also not horrible. My recording off PBS some 20 years ago is actually better/clearer than the VHS release I have.

You need Macross Zero, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier. Especially watch Macross Frontier. The "Lunar" fansubs are the best -- 720p MKV with excellent translations and using the .ASS (SSA) subs. That's as good as the original series -- and maybe even better (blasphemy, I know!)

And then the Macross Frontier Final Farewell Tour Budokan Live Blu-ray is a must-own. I have no idea what they're saying half the time, and I don't care -- it's awesome to watch.

Is that the Rocklords movie (with Gobots?) or the straight series? And if so, English dub or (more likely) your own Danish local language.

On-Topic:

Quote:
The reason I'm trying to save this, is because it's with Danish Voices and it's rare.
Understood. A few years ago, I partook in a similar experiment with one of my own favorite shows. I have horrible quality VHS video recordings with workable audio, and the DVD releases from France (French audio only). I re-sync'd the audio to the new video, and it came out perfect. So keep that in mind.

Quote:
I'm just curious and wondered if I could fix it.
With some effort, yes, I believe so. What that entails is yet to be discovered, but that's why we're posting back and forth, no?

Quote:
Yes video is fun
To follow up on my last post, it may have simply been a bad s-video cable. If I swap the tape over to the JVC S-VHS 9600, and leave the TBC, it's fine. If I replace the cable on the Panasonic 1980, sometimes it works (no chroma/color loss), and sometimes the AGC drops at least 50% of the chroma within 5 seconds and stays that way. The BVP4+ proc amp is an easy override, so it's not a horrible situation.

It's some combination of VCR and TBC and wiring.

I plan to borrow another 1980P this week, it confirm or deny it (hopefully) as a player in this odd little scenario.

It turns out that several tapes from that group misbehave. I don't (yet) get it.

Quote:
I hope you understand me. I'm Danish and my English is a little rusty and that goes for the technical terms too
Your English is perfect. I would have never known otherwise. I have a harder time understanding the teenage clerk at the local grocery store or gas station. Some of those kids may as well be speaking Russian or Greek.

Wanted to mention that.

As a cartoon fan/collector, you may be interested in http://www.TVPreservation.com/forum/

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Automan (03-21-2011)
03-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Is that the Rocklords movie (with Gobots?) or the straight series? And if so, English dub or (more likely) your own Danish local language.
It's from a rental tape with original voices & Danish subtitles. We had a local shop who had all kinds of different animated movies/series, that the usual shops didn't have. You never saw stuff like Robotech/Rocklords and so on, at the other shops, only Disney and "modern" cartoons with voice overs. Shrug.

I'm gonna do some more testing in the weekend and give it my full attention. Swap out cables, use home recorded tapes to be sure it has no macrovision etc.

My time schedule hasn't allowed me to spend as much time as I would, on the project. I'll be back.

03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Free Member

Off-topic:

I will definitely look into what I'm missing. I'ts been years since I started the hunt for missing shows, but I gave it a rest for a couple of years, and did other time consuming stuff (wow that I've quit ). I've made a "shopping" list of your suggestions. Thank you.

On-topic:

Sorry, I'm embarrassed, but I'm throwing in the towel. After spending a weekend of swapping quality cables, and experimenting with different tapes and settings, I didn't come any closer to a solution. Perhaps the BVP4+ proc amp would've helped, but I've reached my budget.

I've begun saving my tapes with "vcr - tbc - canopus 110", and I've already had fun with a tape with (what's the word? Jitter?) random jumpy pictures that made the TBC produce ghostly pictures, like the frame stopped for a sec, but the movie kept rolling. The tape is damaged (been like that since I bought it) and I just disconnected the TBC for that particular tape and let the "crap" in hehe. Maybe I can fix it but that's something I will look into later. It's still watchable. The other tapes looks fine.

Anyway, I'm happy now.

Thank you for your help.