03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Lordsmurf,
Do you or anyone else know which ati all in wonder capture card is windows vista compatable?
I've captured quite alot of vhs tapes with my old system which was XP and the older AGP cards. Any clue on a PCI card that will do what the older cards did?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I've avoided Vista like bubonic plague.

Does Vista not support AGP cards, or is it a newer system that only has PCI Express bus?

I know of no cards -- aside from $2000 Matrox systems -- that can do what the ATI AIW Radeon AGP series cards did.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Well, I guess that answers that question! Good thing I still have my P4 system as a backup. With the newer core 2 duo systems they have done away with AGP slots on the MB's. Now the hunt for a AIW card. Ebay here I come! It's still amazing that I need to return back to the past, but like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
03-14-2008, 03:05 PM

I'm keeping my P4 desktops. They work, ain't broke, not fixing it! I added a pair of fast laptops last year -- an Intel Core 2 Duo and an AMD64. Those are now where I offload encode jobs, especially ones that need filtering. Gigabit ethernet, just transfer files back and forth.

I upgraded the ATI AIW to a 9000-series card in my secondary system, an AMD desktop, and that's where I do capturing on a computer. My primary machine is just for authoring and editing now -- and storage of files.

Now I can edit, author, encode and capture all at the same time, on different systems. Use a KVM with a single monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. The laptop has dualview, so my monitor expands the laptops screen space with a secondary desktop -- very handy!

03-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the input.

All I need to do to get my P4 system up and running again, is to resink the processor (mainly because I want to install a newer processor fan) and get a dvd burner (IDE) and look around for a 9000 series AIW card, and away I go! Oh yea, and reinstall XP!

The only software I will install this time around will be for capturing, edit, restore, encoding, and authoring! Can't wait
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM

Running a "clean system" like that is really the best way anyhow. At most, I'll sometimes add Firefox, and the system is stripped of Windows eye candy and Windows automatic services (Firewall, Security, Updates, etc) are disabled. It's a lean machine just for the purpose of doing video work. The OS, some software to do video, and little else. The LAN cable is either unplugged, or I've got a STARTUP batch file that does an "ipconfig /release" command to take it offline at startup.

People who have problems are almost always the ones that have bloated systems full of extraneous software, games, illegal warez, etc.