Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Free Member

I'm glad somebody got something out of my dumb original post.
The following users thank vtak4 for this useful post: kpmedia (04-25-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

On the AG1980's, not really sure what to say, I have written many things about them in these forums.

I can get the machines to just about perfect working order. However, if the Video drum is shot, that is kind of a costly issue.

Depending on the unit, the problems, the costs of repair will vary. On the low end $80 up to $400 or $500 depending.

(than you have to ship the item back & forth) maybe another $100 just on the shipping....

Sometimes it takes a few months to repair these.

Personally, have never seen 1 of these machines that didn't need some kind of repair....

Sold a few of these units on this site, still have 3 left but they are not for sale....

To get an AG Unit may not cost much
To get it working perfect may be impossible with out the right repair shop

In the end the repairs will more than likely cost a lot more than the worn out ebay unit.....

It would be really hard to find a fully working AG1980, that has not been repaired in some way. In these units the CAPS go bad....(Plus a bunch of other things)

Last edited by deter; 04-26-2011 at 01:03 AM.
04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I bought one from a member here last month. It was mint, as far as I'm concerned. So they do exist. It came in the original box, hand the manual and warranty cards -- everything. (Well, the remote was missing, but I have one already, so not an issue.) It's just a matter of connecting to knowledgeable owners, as opposed to the potluck gamble that is eBay or Craigslist.

In fact, it was better than the one I've had for several years now.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Admin,

"It would be really hard to find a fully working AG1980, that has not been repaired in some way. In these units the CAPS go bad....(Plus a bunch of other things)"

That was the last line I wrote, you kind of need to trace the history of the machine you purchased, maybe it was brand new or even repaired at some point.

These units don't come with remotes, you don't need them anyway.

Like I have said in other posts, spent a while working on AG1980 machines so I kind of now know how everything is supposed to work and can pick were the faults are with in the unit itself.

It kind of sucks for the consumer who purchases these machines, cause they may not know if the machine has problems. A lot of times it can be a color problem were you get a different tint than the actual source tape.

It can be drop outs, to extra noise in the picture.

You can get one that works fine as you stated above...So....

On the flip side, I have rarely seen a bad JVC SVHS unit.
they pretty much need to be beat to hell, to get messed up.....

On the JVC DVD recorders, I have seen a bunch with were it goes in to loading over and over. On those machines again it is the CAPS that are bad. (They are much easier to fix than the AG1980's.)

Tags
ag-1980, ag1980, capture, tv402u, vhs