Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Free Member

Hi, I'm looking for a laserdisc player to transfer some laserdiscs on dvd/blu-ray/video file. any good recommandation on a specific model to get ? Also, if it can read pal and ntst discs, I'll be really interested.

Thanks to answer
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Private message to this dFAQ member: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/members/tranzor.html

Give him a link to this thread, and then ask if he would mind posting an answer for you here in the thread (not in PM). And then mention that LORDSMURF sent you to seek his expert advice on Laserdiscs. There's several members here that know about LD, and although it's been a while, I think he has some good information.

So there's one lead for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Hey Monks19 (and thanks for the info LS),

Honestly it all depends on how much you would like to spend. Pretty much any laser enthusiast will tell you to try and track down one of the later (well last) Pioneer Elite models

read this as it has some decent info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc#Pioneer

as well as this to get you started
http://reviews.ebay.com/A-Guide-to-P...00000007651498

Keep in mind not many players will do both PAL and NTSC. In fact it was only very recently that I was in need of a LD player that can do both formats (which I never ended up getting) and in that case it was a general search on ebay since I really had no idea what players were capabale of such a thing

if the PAL is not too important for the time being and funds are limited you can also get away with a decent LD deck from Pioneer in what would be considered mid range units. It may not have the built in tbc like some of the other higher end decks (mainly for cav features being used on a clv disc) but does a decent job of playing the LD (such as the cld-d503 which is the model I have now). I used to have an early elite or one model right below it that a friend gave to me. Wonderful machine but it is no longer here.

You really probably could get away with a mid range deck and be ok with it. It really also all depends on the other side of the fence as in what machine or capture cards you are using to record the LD to. Also anything can be virtually enhanced with encoders on the pc afterwards

I wish I could help you out more with exact model numbers, but it has been years since I dealt with that sort of info and I no longer have those resources at hand to check for you
03-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Also be mindful of comb filters, they are important with Laserdisc as its a high-res/high-quality composite video source. A good adaptive 3D comb filter is needed for best results.
03-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Hey Monks19! First off, how many Pal discs do you have I would really try to get seperate players, as I think that the Pioneer Elite players are the best. I haven't owned one, but I think that the Pioneer Elite CLD 97 is the best player. I personally own a Pioneer CLD D701 from 1992, and personally, I think that the quality is pretty damn close to DVD, especially when I upgrade the S Video to component on my Denon AVR 1708 receiver. Also, aside from looking for a top of the line LaserDisc player, you should also look to try to upconvert the signal. There are several devices out there that can upconvert the signal, but the one thing that I always do is to try to run it through my JVC HM DT100U DVHS VCR, which has an HDMI out.
The following users thank Jpass992 for this useful post: admin (03-30-2011)
03-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I don't know that there's any value from signal upconversion of Laserdisc. It's actually below 720x480 resolution, closer to around 400-600x480 range in a digital equiv. It's also composite video, so dot crawl is an inevitable issue.

Once it's converted to DVD, you're best letting a good HDTV do your signal conversion to its native resolution (be it 720p, 1080i or 1080p). Even DVD upconverting players tend to be a bit inferior to the hardware that comes in the TV itself. It's honestly one of those things that sold for no reason, aside from the ability to use HDMI for the DVD player. Connected by s-video or component, it would generally look the same -- possibly better, because the TV generally does a better job than the sub-$100 player and its cheap internal hardware. HDTV upconversion tends to be using Faroujda tech, or something similar. The players are often not.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Free Member

Hi, thank you all for your help. I'll try to get a good player out of a good website (not just ebay) that I hope somebody here can recommand me.

Thanks again, and sorry for the late answer.
04-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Free Member

I've had two Pioneer LD-V4400 for about 20 plus years and they are built tough! These are business industry models made to last. Just a FYI
04-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Free Member

The very best LD player is the Pioneer HLD-X0.

Nearly impossible to get, expect to spend upwards of $8,000.00 + shipping, if you can find one. (That's not a typo.)

This is a Japan-only model.

The 2nd best LD player is the Pioneer HLD-X9.

A bit easier to acquire, and also a Japan-only model, expect to still spend $2-$4,000.00 for this model. Example of "in stock" prices.

If you cannot go for either of these options, then you should consider the 704, 97, 99, S9, or S2. These are all USA good LD players.

*note* None of these players play PAL.

That's the best advice I can give you.