Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Free Member

I never messed with the CD. I just downloaded the Vista 64-bit drivers from AMD. They can be found here or you can use the ones Lord Smurf posted.
The following users thank Tuco for this useful post: newkt (05-15-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
then you don't even have to bother installing ATI CMC;.
I still use ATI CMC for preview of audio + video, because VirtualDub is really inferior for live preview. I'll use ATI CMC to get the hardware all set (proc amp, audio settings in VCR + external mixer, etc), and to queue up the tape to the proper start point. Then when I'm ready, I close ATI CMC, and set up VirtualDub for the Huffyuv AVI capturing.

Trying to do live preview corrections is frustrating in VirtualDub.

And then if you ever want MPEG captures, you're all set with minimal effort -- it will already be installed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: newkt (05-16-2011)
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I still use ATI CMC for preview of audio + video, because VirtualDub is really inferior for live preview. I'll use ATI CMC to get the hardware all set (proc amp, audio settings in VCR + external mixer, etc), and to queue up the tape to the proper start point. Then when I'm ready, I close ATI CMC, and set up VirtualDub for the Huffyuv AVI capturing.

Trying to do live preview corrections is frustrating in VirtualDub.

And then if you ever want MPEG captures, you're all set with minimal effort -- it will already be installed.
Thanks, lordsmurf! So, should I install both the USB driver and CMC straight from the ATI 600 CD? I believe you said that you found that to work for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit?

Kevin
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Just do what I did, yes.

05-25-2011, 03:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Note that I have added the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB installation CD to the forum.
Download it here: ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: newkt (05-25-2011)
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Free Member

Thanks again, lordsmurf!

I just posted to your new thread above, but perhaps I should've posted that here instead ...

Kevin
05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Free Member

OK, I've decided that I should really be posting in this thread about my experience with my (alleged) ATI 600 USB CD-ROM, so I've "moved" my post to here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkt
Thanks, lordsmurf!

I just got my "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card yesterday -- shrink-wrapped box and sealed plastic bags, from an eBay seller -- only to discover that it came without ATI CMC (which the listing specifically said it included) and instead came with "ArcSoft TotalMedia" -- a different CD-ROM altogether! Heck, I don't know whether the drivers on the CD-ROM are even the same -- or whether they even work!

But now, thanks to your post, I can uninstall that stuff and re-install with the real CD-ROM!

Kevin
I think, after re-reading the following post by lordsmurf, I've figured out what must have happened:

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, lordsmurf.
As I said on a thread, I don't mind spending some extra money to find a better quality device (as you and others state that Canopus use old technology).
You mentioned the TV Wonder 600. Do you have any idea if this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
would have the same quality?
It's probably a newer version of the 600 series.
As it's not expensive, I may buy it to try.
Purely guessing, I would imagine so. At least for VirtualDub use (AVI captures), I'd bet it would work the same. However, my question comes in the way of supplied MPEG capturing software. If it comes with ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC), then you'll be fine. This is the part I don't know.

ATI released a lot of cards, internal and external, in the 500-, 600- and 700-series numbers. Diamond had what appear to be their own versions of ATI powered capture devices, too. I've never been entirely clear on which versions of which cards shared hardware, nor what software comes stock. There can also be issues on Windows XP vs Vista vs Win7.

After AMD bought ATI, some things got more complicated. It's no longer easy to discern product lines, as it was from 2000-2006, when the classic well-known cards were out -- the cards that made ATI a name in video capture. Back then, you have Radeon AIW cards, and all came with ATI MMC (not CMC, but MMC). And then there were the lower-end TV Wonder cards. Now it's less clear.

I also lost some of my ATI contacts, so I don't have as much information as I had 5 years ago.

The difference between "good" and "crap" has long been the software ATI supplies (or doesn't supply) with their hardware. I would be wary of any card that does not come with ATI CMC, or does not work with ATI CMC, in the current generations of cards. There are some cards that were released with third-party software that just doesn't work well. It's PVR software, and it's buggy. (Most PVR software is buggy, so that's not saying much.)

Reading some reviews online, it appears this card comes with ArcSoft PVR software -- and there are many complaints. So it may not have the best MPEG recording/capturing experience.

I'd opt for the 600 USB card, if I were you. I know it works.
OK, very solid advice! But I did, in fact, order that "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card (that I mentioned above) from a seller on eBay -- who shall remain nameless, until I resolve this with him -- and it actually came in that shrink-wrapped ATI 600 USB box, but the box had all references to the ATI CMC CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER, and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above -- instead of the
"normal" (and expected, and promised) ATI CMC!!!

So this is just to warn folks that someone out there -- I don't know exactly who (yet!) -- has apparently been re-packaging ATI 600 USB hardware with "ArcSoft PVR software" and trying to pass it off as the real deal!!! Heck, even the Quick Start Guide in the box refers to the ATI CMC -- which isn't there!!!

Kevin
05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER
How lame. This is good to know. Thanks for sharing your findings.

Quote:
and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above
Would you mind ripping that CD to an ISO file? I can provide you with some FTP login space. I'd really like to get a good look at that disc, and also see how well it may or may not interact with ATI cards on several Windows versions. From what I gather, it's a really lousy software encoder that doesn't really function with ATI hardware. But I'd like to have in-person confirmation.

Just PM me, if you would.

05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkt View Post
But I did, in fact, order that "brand-new" ATI 600 USB card (that I mentioned above) from a seller on eBay -- who shall remain nameless, until I resolve this with him -- and it actually came in that shrink-wrapped ATI 600 USB box, but the box had all references to the ATI CMC CROSSED OUT WITH A BLACK MARKER, and inside was a CD-ROM with the "ArcSoft PVR software" apparently referred to above -- instead of the
"normal" (and expected, and promised) ATI CMC!!!
Now I have some photos of this mess to post ...

First, here's what I was expecting for a *NEW* (emphasis is the seller's) ATI 600 USB card ... Two things to note here:

1. the left side of the expected retail box
2. the expected CD-ROM (180-V01122-200), which includes the ATI CMC

TVWONDER_TVW600USB_retail_box.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

TVWONDER_TVW600USB_CD-ROM.jpg

And now, here's what I actually got ... All of the expected hardware was present -- in sealed plastic bags -- and the Quick Install Guide was there, and the box was indeed shrink-wrapped, but check out the side and back of the box (higher-resolution photo attached at the end of this post), and check out the CD-ROM ...

All references on the box to "ATI Catalyst Media Center" -- both in English and in French -- have been crossed out with a black marker (twice on the back, twice on each side), and the white CD-ROM actually includes "ArcSoft TotalMedia" instead ...

Oh, and BTW -- THE LISTING EXPLICITLY STATES THAT "ATI Catalyst Media Center" IS INCLUDED!!!

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

TVWONDER_TVW600USB.JPG

Attached Files
File Type: zip _ATI_600_USB_eBay_2_HIRES.zip (548.3 KB, 6 downloads)
The following users thank newkt for this useful post: satellite15 (09-27-2012)
05-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Free Member

After posting those pix above, this occurred to me -- WHY didn't they use a bright red marker on the SIDE of the box?
06-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Free Member

thanks for the instructions. when I first received the unit, i tried just throwing the CD in the drive and letting it self install, then I posted. running the vista64 installer worked. stupid and lazy miss on my part. sorry I posted before fully engaging my brain, i'm was just uber frustrated.

BTW, media center installed without having to run a separate installer
06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
BTW, media center installed without having to run a separate installer
Yeah, that was my experience, too, using the burned ATI CD (from ISO) provided by lordsmurf above ...
06-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Free Member

Just curious...

Does the USB version of this device allow you access to ProcAmp settings in Windows 7?
06-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Just curious...
Does the USB version of this device allow you access to ProcAmp settings in Windows 7?
See my post here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post16189

Quote:
It's not the hardware that includes the proc amp, but the software. If using VirtualDub for capture, you have proc amp abilities. If using ATI CMC, you do not. (Catalyst Media Center is really nothing more than a limited and dumbed-down version of ATI MMC.) ATI CMC is fine for capturing NTSC MPEG-2, but for any filter work or lossless/uncompressed capturing you'll want to use VirtualDub. In all honesty, if you want proc amp controls, use external proc amp hardware, like a SignVideo PA-100 or an Elite Video BVP-4.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Free Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its always difficult to decide whether to do that or start a new thread (and look as though you have not read the forums). I have a freshly installed Win7 -64 Ultimate system. I downloaded the Vista driver installation file from the AMD site for the ATI 60 USB stick. When I run the installation it shows which components it is going to install. If I just run it, the file installs some compnents, BUT NOT THE ATI 600 USB drivers. If I run the installation file in Vista compatibility mode, the ATI device drivers show up as an installable option. LS, Did you have to run in Vista compatibility mode for driver installation?

Last edited by Spektre; 06-24-2012 at 11:33 PM.
06-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but its always difficult to decide whether to do that or start a new thread (and look as though you have not read the forums).
Sometimes it's good to add to an old thread if it comes up high in searches, yet never really answered the question in full. You can expand on it, and make it an even better FAQ resource. (That's why I reversed your "nevermind" edit to show your question again.)

Quote:
I have a freshly installed Win7 -64 Ultimate system. I downloaded the Vista driver installation file from the AMD site for the ATI 60 USB stick. When I run the installation it shows which components it is going to install. If I just run it, the file installs some compnents, BUT NOT THE ATI 600 USB drivers. If I run the installation file in Vista compatibility mode, the ATI device drivers show up as an installable option. LS, Did you have to run in Vista compatibility mode for driver installation?
Use the CD ISO image found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html
That works best.

If you have issues installing it, reply in that thread.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I just installed the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB stick driver and Catalyst Media Center without any problem. It works flawlessly on a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate dual-core Intel. I did it twice, in fact.

This comes to three total times that I've installed this exact card on a Windows 7 system (all the same computer):
  1. Windows 7 x64 MSDN beta - just inserted the disc, installed it. That was a long time ago, back in 2009 sometime.
  2. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, same computer hardware as attempt #1, but with post-beta retail version now installed. Again, I just inserted the disc, and it worked fine. I did this tonight ...err.... this morning. (It's about 4 a.m. now)
  3. Uninstalled all of it, ran CCleaner to purge as much ATI goodness as I could. Manually downloaded the Vista 64 drivers (Note: Attached to this post), and then installed after right-clicking and changing to Vista SP2 compatibility mode. Then I installed ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC) manually from the XP install folder on the disc that came with the 600 USB card. No right-click or compat change, since it was run off the CD. It works, too.
My test capture was a video that I cannot share (video belongs to a client, some family event), off a higher-end Hi8 Sony camera. No TBC was used or needed (the cam puts out a stable signal).

No dropped frames.
Interlace is fine.
I captured to MPEG-2 @8000kbps, 256k MP2 audio, in ATI CMC.

Next, I tried to capture AVI in VirtualDub. It didn't work -- black screen, no video or audio. (Note: False result!)
DScaler worked for video, no audio. (Run as XP SP3 compatibility, or it crashes Win7 with BSOD.)
AMcap worked for video, no audio.
Bypassing audio to line in on computer did not work (Note: That might just be this specific computer's issue.)
Several other tools from 2001-2004 failed to work, or even install. Compat mode did not matter.

I was just about to turn off the computer, when I tried VirtualDub again.
It worked fine. Captures audio and video.
Huffyuv AVI capture, interlaced video, PCM 48kHz audio.

So ATI TV Wonder USB 600 card on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate? Yep, it works great.

I took a ton of screen caps to write a guide, as I promised so long ago over at Videohelp. I'll look to write it next week, after my current project is finished. (Honestly, I shouldn't have even taken an hour for this test like I did, but I was obsessed with proving it was not an issue for Win7x64 + USB600. And I wanted to reassure you that the ATI stick was going to work.)

At worst, your stick is bad.
At best, you just need to purge the system of existing ATI softwares, and reinstall.
Then pick some proper settings, as per my soon-to-be guide.

If needed: ATI 600 USB video capture card drivers + Catalyst Media Center [DOWNLOAD]
THIS DOESN'T WORK!!!!

I've installed this, and the device continues to sit in my device manager with no driver!

Why are you cramming the internet with misinformation? Please stop wasting everyone's time!
04-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
THIS DOESN'T WORK!!!!
I've installed this, and the device continues to sit in my device manager with no driver!
Why are you cramming the internet with misinformation? Please stop wasting everyone's time!
Well that should certainly endear you to getting helped.
04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Free Member

I'm not looking for help. I spent hours battling that device, and it plain and simple won't work with windows 7 64 bit, at all! I'm just trying to help others that are wasting their time and trying to clear up all this misinformation online that costs people hours of their time trying to do things that won't work.
04-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

I've installed the ATI 600 USB card over and over again on multiple Windows 7 x64 systems without any issue.

You're simply not doing something correctly.

If you need/want help, you've come to the right place. We can help.

Heck, I can install it again, as I have a virgin Windows 7 x64 system here.