Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Free Member

Hi, I see you are the expert. I have done a lot of reading but really am not well-versed enough to even completely understand the language here. So I thought it would be simpler to just let you know what I need and hopefully, you can just give me some basic answers.

I just want to convert all my personal videos (mostly daughter performing) to dvd. I just need a very basic system, nothing extensive as this is just for me personally. I found a JVC SR-v10u on ebay and was hoping this would work well. I don't want to invest a ton of money, yet I want good quality.

I have a canopus ADVC110 and a good computer.

For years, I have used Studio Pinnacle for capture and editing of my digital video. Also, let me mention that I already have an LG LRY 517 VCR.

Is there any chance that is good enough.
Or what if I just added the tbc to this? I would love to get some of this done before Christmas.

Thanks so much for any help you can give. Jamie

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
I never understand why people wait so long to do video projects. Unless you plan to stay home for many hours this months, it's probably not going to happen. Video takes time, often 3-4x runtime of the tape. So a 2-hour SP mode tape will take 6-8 hours total to process, from the moment you hit play to capture, until the moment a DVD/Blu-ray is spit out of the computer. I'm hate to be negative, but I'm a realist.

And that's if you already know what to do!

A Canopus ADVC -- a plain DV box, late 1990s tech -- is indeed "good enough". It's not ideal, and loses half of the chroma quality. It's not suggested if you have nothing, or a budget to buy something better. If you already own it, you can work with it, assuming you just want to capture a handful of tapes. If you're going to archive a whole library of tapes, I'd say get something better.

Studio Pinnacle is terrible. Very limited and very buggy software.

Adobe Premiere Elements is better for advanced editing. And it has limited output, based on the high-quality MainConcept SDK encoder. I'd highly suggest this. You can get away with the ADVC unit, but not the Pinnacle software. Not it you want excellent quality.

The JVC SR-V10U was an excellent purchase.

You almost always need an external TBC. The VCR TBC cleans the image quality. The external TBC cleans the signal, and allows flawless capturing -- especially dropped frames prevention.

Equipment wise, it's an okay plan.
Time-wise, honestly, never going to happen. Maybe you can do 1-2 tapes in that time, if lucky.

More questions? Ask here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Free Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Just now saw it. I have read and learned a ton since I posted this question to you a few days ago. I am now about ready to do some equipment purchasing. I don't have the jvc, by the way, just questioning about it. Glad you approve, though. Thanks for the good info. I'll leave this to, hopefully, let you reply to the longer post that I put up this morning with more definitive questions. One specific question here, though....I'm ok with discarding the ADVD as I have learned in other reading that it's probably not good. (hate that since it wasn't cheap) But I was planning the get the ATI USB 600 which I have seen recommended. If I'm looking at the right thing, it's only about $50. Now I'm confused because you mentioned "affording to get something better" than the Canopus, and this is cheaper. I just want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing. Thanks!!

Last edited by mrsark87; 12-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
12-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The ATI 600 USB is better, yes.
The Canopus is more expensive (and overpriced), but the ATI 600 is still in the $50-100 range, in many cases.
Because it's only sold used now, price varies widely.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Free Member

So, (sorry) just to be clear, because I'm about to order this, it's the ati tv wonder hd 600 usb tv tuner?
12-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Yes. That's it. You've got it.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Free Member

Ok, thanks. I bought it. Found one newly listed on ebay. So, I feel like I've taken my first step. But, I know you're right, I can't really accomplish anything here by Christmas, so I'm going to switch gears and go to work on my digital video. Go back to work on the vhs after the holidays. Although, I am going to continue gathering my hardware and software. So, it's off to study the guides on transferring my dv files. I'm thinking it will be a bit simpler. So thankful for this forum. What an amazing source.