Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Free Member

What cables do I need?

How should I set up my workflow?

What are the best and effective connections to use on these machines?

Where do I put my tv?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm oh-so-much closer now thanks to digitalfaq and videohelp. I have thoroughly enjoyed and learned how to spend my money. Hehe...

Now I am going into the next stage of setting up the equipment I've purchased correctly.

Let's start with the playback:

For VHS NTSC signal playback: JVC SR-W5U, Panasonic AG-1980
For VHS PAL signal playback: JVC HR-9700, Panasonic NV-HS1000
For BETA PAL & NTSC signal playback: Sony SL-800ME

I went ahead and stacked everything together to get some front and rear pictures so I can get the best-case scenario of what to connect on these 5 machines.

Front & Rear Pictures:

Now to signal enhancement...

In what order do I need these...and where do I put my TV? (TV has S-Vid etc inputs)

Datavideo TBC-4000
Elite Video BVP4+
Panasonic DMR-ES10

SignVideo DR1000 Image Enhancer (Still need to purchase! Can't find PAL/NTSC unit!!!)

I will go ahead and add in the AJA Kona Breakout Box with these because I've no idea what to do with this thing... There's no S-Video, RCA inputs at all!

Here's some pics:

Then the cables going from the AJA Kona Breakout Box to the AJA Kona capture card I already have.

What should I do? Since I can't find a SignVideo Image Enhancer for PAL, should I just scratch getting one? How should I set this all up and what cables should I buy and use?

-Kenneth
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

You do realize that DMR-ES10 is a PAL unit, right? SCART ports, Benning-Lee RF plugs. along with region 2 and 240VAC power give it away. The SR-W5 appears to be an imported model as well, just be mindful that it really should have a step down transformer to 100VAC to protect the power supply from burning out/overheating. As for the Kona, it just needs BNC to RCA adapters for composite video. S-Video likely requires a DIN-4 to dual RCA/BNC connected correctly to the "Y" and "C" inputs.
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
You do realize that DMR-ES10 is a PAL unit, right?
Yes, of course. It will be a great unit for pass-thru as it does both PAL & NTSC. And while it has all the connections you mentioned, it still has the trusty S-Vid and RCA jacks.

Quote:
The SR-W5 appears to be an imported model as well, just be mindful that it really should have a step down transformer to 100VAC to protect the power supply from burning out/overheating.
Truth! Got it as well as the step up converters for the other European equipment I'll be running in this room.

Quote:
As for the Kona, it just needs BNC to RCA adapters for composite video. S-Video likely requires a DIN-4 to dual RCA/BNC connected correctly to the "Y" and "C" inputs.
So then, are you recommending something like this?... Linkage

I could always go from S-Video to RCA into the KONA, I'd just hate to degrade the signal any... would what you're suggesting give me signal degradation before hitting the Kona card?

-Kenneth
04-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, and get some of those rubber doorknob stoppers. The self-adhesive clear ones are nicest. Get 4 per unit. Stick them on the bottom corners of your VCRs, DVD recorders, TBCs, proc amps, etc. Yeah, it makes the stack taller, but it also keeps everything cooler. Your current stack is a heat nightmare. And then the ES10/etc series Panasonic DVD recorders crush in easy. Not the best case build. You don't want it under a heavy VCR. Mine is warped from having an SR-V10 on it for a year, and that VCR is rather lightweight.

Stabilize before correction.
VCR, TBC/frame sync, then color correctors and detailers.
Finally, of course, capture device.

I can't see the Aja labels clearly. I do see tons of BNC connectors. You just need a BNC>composite adapter. Those run about $2 any number of places. Your AG-1980 has BNC in/out, too.

Here's a BNC six-pack for $4.50 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000G5S4JI
Look fine to me, good price.

Gold is overrated. Gold is nice for jewelry, but crappy for video connectors.
Monster made a brand name many years ago, but they just coast on it now, as an excuse to overcharge.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, and get some of those rubber doorknob stoppers. The self-adhesive clear ones are nicest. Get 4 per unit. Stick them on the bottom corners of your VCRs, DVD recorders, TBCs, proc amps, etc. Yeah, it makes the stack taller, but it also keeps everything cooler. Your current stack is a heat nightmare. And then the ES10/etc series Panasonic DVD recorders crush in easy. Not the best case build. You don't want it under a heavy VCR. Mine is warped from having an SR-V10 on it for a year, and that VCR is rather lightweight.
LOL! I just did that to take the pics. They'll each have a separate shelf. Good advice though, if I were planning on stacking equipment!

Quote:
Stabilize before correction.
VCR, TBC/frame sync, then color correctors and detailers.
Finally, of course, capture device.
Sounds good! So which of my devices can do both PAL and NTSC? Where do I connect my multisystem tv for preview? (BVP4?) Also, since I can't find a SignVideo Image Enhancer for PAL, should I just scratch getting one altogether, or do you think even just an NTSC one is worth the investment?

Quote:
I can't see the Aja labels clearly. I do see tons of BNC connectors. You just need a BNC>composite adapter. Those run about $2 any number of places. Your AG-1980 has BNC in/out, too.

Here's a BNC six-pack for $4.50 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000G5S4JI
Look fine to me, good price.

Gold is overrated. Gold is nice for jewelry, but crappy for video connectors.
Monster made a brand name many years ago, but they just coast on it now, as an excuse to overcharge.
Not bad! Thanks for the link.

I swiped 9 sets of these yesterday. Linkage. $89.91 for 9 sets, shipped, made my day.

So, also, will going from S-Video to composite hurt the signal?

-Kenneth
05-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

There are a lot of fake Monster cables on eBay, just FYI.
Not that the cables are necessarily bad, but are likely cheaply made Chinese ones.

Some devices let you swap s-video to composite without issues: JVC S-VHS VCR, for example
While some do not: Elite Video BVP-4 has a known issues with unstable luminance on a "crossover" style connection.

Most devices do PAL or NTSC, and not both. It really depends on the exact piece of gear in question.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Free Member

Cool. I wanted to wait to reply until my Monster cables came in and I can confirm that the seller on ebay I used is 100% legitimate. They came packed in a Monster box with all the right markings and it happened to be the box with the pallet tag on it. Really surprised that I got them at the price I did and saw that the manu date was back in 4-12-06. Not really surprised now.

Right now I am working with an engineer at a company that manufactures quality gear in settling this PAL issue I have right now. I'll report back within a week to confirm what I am (or am not) working with.

Thanks for your help guys!