Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Free Member

hi, new here, just ran into this forum,
because i have one of the S-VHS VCRs mentioned in the thread this link leads to;

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...c-s10000u.html

and was drawn here to this forum because of it.

this VCR in question is my custom mod of the classic 1988 JVC HR-S8000U;

HR-S8000UJOHN5-4-111.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

HR-S8000UJOHN5-4-112.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

HR-S8000U6.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...OHN5-4-111.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...OHN5-4-112.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...HR-S8000U6.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...HR-S8000U7.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...IIsolators.jpg

as you can see, it has heavy (about 1lb. each) solid die-cast isolator feet taken from the 1987 DENON DCD-1500II CD player, and cassette slot door panel taken from the VHS-only model directly below the 8000U, the HR-D630U, which is, bizarrely enough, an HR-S8000U in it's complete entirety, save for a different overall cosmetic finish, lack of fake wood side panels and, of course S-VHS. fairly strange marketing strategy, IMO.

anyway, i bought a rare HR-D630U off EBAY for that door panel, and i never took a picture of that exceedingly rare VCR before putting it in storage, so here's the EBAY seller's pic;

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...U/HR-D630U.jpg

as you might have already guessed, i'm in LOVE with this ancient VCR (HR-S8000U) and i have done my level best in the last couple years i've owned my copy to hunt down as many of it's original accessories as i can find. for example;

HR-S8000U7.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...HR-S8000U9.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...000USM1988.jpg

what i have here is pretty much everything that pertains to this incredible machine, SAVE for it's original shipping carton and 1987/1988 1st.Ed. JVC S-T120 S-VHS cassette.

if there is anybody out there that can possibly give me a lead on either,
i would deeply appreciate it if you could help me out there...

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Hi Tasuke, welcome to the site.

As a quick note, see this: How to Upload/View/Download Images+Attachments. Image sharing sites like photobucket don't keep images forever, so we try to attach everything to forum posts. (I've edited the above post, to attach images.)

Anyway...

Adding your own feet to a VCR is a very wise move! If nothing else, it gives it good cooling airflow under the unit. All gear here is modified in some way, for that same reason. A common suggestion you'll find on this forum is to buy those rubber "doorknob protectors" that keep a doorknob from bashing a hole in the wall. Home Depot and Lowe's both carry various colors (like clear, white and brown), styles and sizes. Many of them come with self-adhesive tape.

You may be hard-pressed to find an old cardboard box.

And then I doubt you'll find an unused S-VHS tape from that era, given the costs. I still have blank S-VHS tapes I bought in the late 1990s, which ran a very cheap $7 each at that time. The only reason I still have those is because I over-bought.

But good luck, all the same! You never know what fellow collector (or yard sale scavenger) may find this thread with something to offer.

And definitely stick around, there's quite a few threads here related to VCRs, and many S-VHS VCR owners of various brands and eras.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Free Member

Hey there. I have considered buying the JVC HR S8000U, however, I believed that there were specific design flaws with the unit. While reading old threads back from the late 1980's and early 90's, I read that this machine had an infamous hi-fi dropout problem in which the hi-fi would switch back and forth to norm while the tape was playing in the machine. Does your 8000U that you have encounter that problem? It seems to me that the construction of that machine is superb, compared to the newer JVC SVHS machines. I actually own the JVC HR S6900U SVHS VCR from 1993/1994 and like you, I have the original box for the machine and all of the original accessories for the machine as well. To be honest, I actually have two 6900U's, but sadly, one is dead and it had an ejection problem. So, I am interested in hearing more about the 8000U as it seems to be a beautiful piece of equipment, however, I just don't like what I've heard about the hi fi audio problem, which to me sounds alot better than the 6900U's infamous white streak problem.
The following users thank Jpass992 for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpass992 View Post
it had an ejection problem.
This may be easy to repair, only requiring a new belt.

I've been reading quite a bit of JVC repair information lately, for quite a few models. I have a few VCRs here that need repair, and suffer from similar problems. From what I've seen in older manuals, the belt is often to blame for this.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Hey there. I have considered buying the JVC HR S8000U, however, I believed that there were specific design flaws with the unit. While reading old threads back from the late 1980's and early 90's, I read that this machine had an infamous hi-fi dropout problem in which the hi-fi would switch back and forth to norm while the tape was playing in the machine...

yes, my copy has that "problem" only very occasionally, though.

it seems to be some sort of MUTING system that's designed to blank out audio artifacts such as the occasional brief static pop audio effect that Hi-Fi VHS VCRs can sometimes have.

my 8000U only occasionally does this, so i think the blank-out system generally works as it was intended to.

regardless, the system obviously wasn't well received, as it was apparently dropped form future JVC VCR models, as far as i know...

05-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

partstore seems to have the S-VHS tape and a few other parts.

http://www.partstore.com/Model/Matsu...earchTerm=True

Good luck!!
The following users thank dad2 for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Free Member

the copies they have are the mid-late 1990's editions of JVC ST-120, unfortunately.

i'm looking for the 1987/1988 1st edition;

NOS or used, i'll take one any way that it might come to me,
so long as it is in reasonably good shape.

thanks kindly anyway...

05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Free Member

Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know that I won a virtually new in box JVC HR S8000U off of ebay. It came in the original box, came with all the original accessories, and the remote for $390.00!! Machine looks really nice.
05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
It seems like a LOT of money to me, for a model of that age.

But hey, if it's what you really wanted, I'm happy for you! I know it's a great feeling when I find something I really wanted, like a rare action figure, or even a set of obscure speakers. Especially if it's complete, like new, and/or less than I expected to pay!

Enjoy the new toy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf, I thought it was alot of money too.... but the guy had said that the VCR had never been used before. This Sunday, a new JVC HR S9500U went for $300 dollars. Also, there is a Mitsubishi HS U82 on ebay new in box right now for $1,499 dollars!!! I figured if one wanted the best playback quality out of their tapes or recording, it is best to get a machine that is new. The only question I got for everyone out there, including Lordsmurf is about those no return policies. The guy had posted in the auction that the unit was 100% working. I would believe that if the machine didn't meet the description of the auction, one could argue with ebay in order to get the money back. Has anyone had any scenarios like this before? If you don't mind, I'd like to know what happened.
05-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Free Member

i myself was eyeing that!! i was going to pick it up for the box alone, and whichever 8000U was in better overall condition
was to be my primary, and the other for backup/parts.

congrats!! you should have the seller double box it to protect the original carton from the rigors of shipping.

also once you get it, you should either take it immediately to a service shop for a standard VCR tune up, or perform that work yourself.

it is easy to lube the mechanism; just pick up a tube of WHITE LITHIUM grease at HOME DEPOT for a couple bucks,
and apply some to all the gearwork if the transport, from above AND from below. that means removing
the top bonnet and wood side panels (completely fake, hollow plastic, for SHAME, JVC!!!)
-as well as the four plastic pedestal type isolator feet and the bottom panel.

this gives you immediate access to everything that needs lubrication.

your unit MAY also need new rubber as well.

i say MAY, because my 8000U, as far as i can tell, is still running off the little original
rubber in it's mecha (two belts and a idler tire) to this day quite healthily, and yours might fare the same.

you made an excellent choice. take care of this baby, and she'll take care of you. she may not be the absolute last word
for VHS to DVD archival work, but for all other purposes, the HR-S8000U should be the best and last VCR you ever own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It seems like a LOT of money to me, for a model of that age.
But hey, if it's what you really wanted, I'm happy for you! I know it's a great feeling when I find something I really wanted, like a rare action figure, or even a set of obscure speakers. Especially if it's complete, like new, and/or less than I expected to pay!
Enjoy the new toy.
it may seem a princely sum, but it's truly a penance for a prime-condition example of a VCR as majestic as this. one really has to experience it in the flesh to fully appreciate it.

as i stated above, outside of serious archival work, one simply cannot find a more well-made and classy looking VHS VCR to own.

this is JVC and it's VHS video tech at it's 1980's JPN Bubble Economy finest, and for all general,
average use, is virtually impossible to beat.

if, for instance, like me, one happens to have a rather sentimental attachment to the video format that carried them through childhood and the teenage years, and happens to not be overtly bothered by the native resolution and artifacts of the VHS format, then, like i said, this is THE VCR to own. seriously.

to my eyes and fingers, at least, it truly looks and feels like a million bucks...

Last edited by Tasuke; 05-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
the copies they have are the mid-late 1990's editions of JVC ST-120, unfortunately.

i'm looking for the 1987/1988 1st edition;

NOS or used, i'll take one any way that it might come to me,
so long as it is in reasonably good shape.

thanks kindly anyway...
Hey Tasuke,

I just found this forum a couple days ago, and I just joined a couple of minutes ago in order to answer your question here (as well as to ask a few questions about the AVT-8710 from B&H and where to find the best JVC S-VHS VCR online) ... In fact, on the advice of this forum, I ordered an ATI 600 USB card yesterday for my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system,
and now I need the other two pieces for my (S-)VHS-to-PC transfers ...

Anyway, back in early 1989 (I think), I bought a JVC HR-S7000U for $700+, which I now realize was the original S-VHS VCR ... I still have it -- along with the original box, packaging, accessories, etc. -- and I'd be willing to pass it on to someone who values "classic S-VHS" more than I do ...
It probably needs servicing for eject/tape-motion issues, but I'd bet that the heads (possibly dirty) and electronics are working fine -- I literally have not touched it in years ...

But more to the point, way back when I first got it, I acquired a number of S-VHS tapes, both blank and pre-recorded (4 movies), as well as several high-end S-VHS head-cleaning (dry) and "perfect-picture" (adjustment) tapes ... So I just now checked my stash for the first time in years, and it looks like I have exactly ONE JVC ST-120 S-VHS tape from that era ...
(The rest are Scotch/3-M "Black Watch 5516" ST-120 S-VHS tapes) ...

The fact that I have just one "classic S-VHS" tape from JVC makes me wonder if it came with the HR-S7000U (?) or whether I just bought it at the same place (a local dealer) ... For a while there, I was getting S-VHS tapes (both blank and pre-recorded) from an outfit in California called "Super Source Video" or something like that, which is surely in
another line of business by now, if not defunct ...

Anyway. the "classic S-VHS" tape that I have looks exactly like the one in that photo above, and I'm pretty sure that it's been stored on its EDGE for 20+ years, not FLAT, because very early on, I read about the dangers of videotape-buckling over time ... What I DON'T know (yet) is whether it's ever been USED! I didn't put a label on it, or write anything on its package -- in fact, it still has the unmarred label sheet, unmarred B&W wrapper, and the original plastic case, all in near-perfect condition ... (I'm somewhat obsessive about keeping my nice stuff -- "nice") ...

In short, if it weren't for the shrink-wrap missing, I'd say it was brand-new -- BUT I'm afraid to put it into my HR-S7000U to find out whether I used it ... If I DID use it, I'd need to archive the contents of it somehow before passing it on to anyone ...

Anyway, I think this tape could be just what you're looking for ... (And if you or anyone else happens to be interested in the HR-S7000U, I would be willing to try to get it fixed/serviced at a JVC service center first -- and provide proof of that -- so that I could pass it on in "known-good" condition ... Cosmetically, it's near-perfect -- or maybe even "perfect") ...

Kevin

P.S. Ah, my memory is good! I just Google'd for "Super Source Video" and this was one of the first links:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...o-s-vhs-format

Last edited by newkt; 05-13-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added P.S
The following users thank newkt for this useful post: Tasuke (05-13-2011)
05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Its funny to read that even with JVC's backing, prerecorded DVHS content failed for the same reasons SVHS did.

The only "nice work of art" VCRs I own is a 1988 Sony SL-HF860D Betamax and a circa 1992 SLV-595HF VHS deck. High quality pieces, although only the Betamax is actually worth anything. The 595HF while "top end" at the time was nothing special and it was an unreliable machine. Sadly I don't recall Panasonic making any "masterpiece" decks during the time period. Unlike Sony and JVC, they built a tank of a VCR.
05-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Free Member

Well, I gotta admit, I am a bit concerned about you mentioning that the unit might be lubricant. I mean I checked on the original posting and the guy said that the unit was 100%. As a matter of fact, I think that the unit is brand new. Secondly, I personally wrote to the guy myself and he said that everything was perfect. I gotta admit, if this machine is new, I'd rather not go and take off the wooden side panels and top cover. Btw, does the 8000U have the same mechanics as the 7000U? My Dad actually still might have his original 7000U somewhere, but last time I checked, the keys were missing on it.

And yea, I know what you mean by getting sentimental to some of this stuff sometimes. The first machine I can remember in my house was a 6900U. The sticker on that unit always appealed to me for some reason. Also, I liked the red and blue VU meters on the VCR that they later removed on later machines. After the 6900U, he had a 9400U and I recently got one of those off ebay which I had to return, and when I looked inside of the unit, it was made of really cheap parts compared to the 6900U. So, I really hope that the 8000U is made of some good quality parts and not some cheap parts. Lastly, if a machine has no returns, and when you get the machine and if it isn't as it is described in the auction, do you guys think that one has a right to try to get a refund regardless of the no returns policy? Let me know.
The following users thank Jpass992 for this useful post: Tasuke (05-16-2011)
05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkt View Post
Hey Tasuke,
PMed ya. thanks kindly...

05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Well, I gotta admit, I am a bit concerned about you mentioning that the unit might be lubricant. I mean I checked on the original posting and the guy said that the unit was 100%. As a matter of fact, I think that the unit is brand new. Secondly, I personally wrote to the guy myself and he said that everything was perfect. I gotta admit, if this machine is new, I'd rather not go and take off the wooden side panels and top cover. Btw, does the 8000U have the same mechanics as the 7000U? My Dad actually still might have his original 7000U somewhere, but last time I checked, the keys were missing on it.

And yea, I know what you mean by getting sentimental to some of this stuff sometimes. The first machine I can remember in my house was a 6900U. The sticker on that unit always appealed to me for some reason. Also, I liked the red and blue VU meters on the VCR that they later removed on later machines. After the 6900U, he had a 9400U and I recently got one of those off ebay which I had to return, and when I looked inside of the unit, it was made of really cheap parts compared to the 6900U. So, I really hope that the 8000U is made of some good quality parts and not some cheap parts. Lastly, if a machine has no returns, and when you get the machine and if it isn't as it is described in the auction, do you guys think that one has a right to try to get a refund regardless of the no returns policy? Let me know.
not to worry. i've been all over inside my 8000U, and i can assure you, it is ANYTHING but cheap. in fact, the fake oak side-panels were the ONLY thing that JVC cheaped out on. this VCR, for all intents and purposes, is a TANK, through and through.

for instance, the cassette loading cage is assembled of HEAVY GAUGE STEEL, not the thin, flexible pressed sheet metal
that VCR loading mechanisms are usually made of.

that my friend, is just the start. you are in for a serious treat, this baby exudes quality. trust me on this.

finally, i strongly recommend that you lube the mechanism when you receive this beauty. i'll tell you why;

this machine is, as it goes without saying, an electromechanical device, with the big emphasis on "mechanical"

that said, this unit may have not seen use for many years. indeed, if it truly is "new old stock" than it has seen
LITTLE to NO use in it's 21+ years of existence.

complex mechanics need lubrication. indeed, they need something to allow the many moving parts to gel and flow through their travel with minimum friction and maximum ease. they also need occasional exercise, lest they may seize up.

what this all means for your coming 8000U is, quite possibly, many years, perhaps even a machine's lifetime worth
of idle non-usage, and that will mean that your machine will surely NEED a fresh overall lube of it's transport in order
to function at it's full nominal optimum capability.

just remember, this is an OLD VCR. a little preventative maintenance will go a long way. lubricate, overside and under, then insert a disposable cassette that you won't mind if it by chance ends up getting ruined, and exercise the VCR through it's operation modes, LOAD/EJECT about 10 cycles, and about the same for PLAY/STOP and FF/REW.

that should "wake up" the VCR's mechanism, and distribute the fresh lube evenly throughout the travel of the mechanism that you just lubed.

i would also recommend lubing the tracks that the guide arms that pull the tape around the video drum travel along during LOAD-PLAY/UNLOAD-EJECT, but i'd ONLY recommend that you did that yourself if you were certain that you had steady hands, to ease a STANDARD screwdriver loaded with a bead of grease down to those tracks WITHOUT touching the Video drum.

that is IMPORTANT, as the drum contains VERY DELICATE video heads. the drum must be touched/cleaned properly, or the heads can very easily be destroyed.

if you are certain that you can get grease to those tracks WITHOUT touching that drum, then i heartily recommend
that you do so when you receive your 8000U. otherwise, leave it to a professional.

outside of that, lubing the mech. couldn't be easier, and is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for a VCR of this vintage, with this much of a possibility of long-term non-use...

05-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
The only question I got for everyone out there, including Lordsmurf is about those no return policies. The guy had posted in the auction that the unit was 100% working. I would believe that if the machine didn't meet the description of the auction, one could argue with ebay in order to get the money back. Has anyone had any scenarios like this before? If you don't mind, I'd like to know what happened.
Quote:
Lastly, if a machine has no returns, and when you get the machine and if it isn't as it is described in the auction, do you guys think that one has a right to try to get a refund regardless of the no returns policy? Let me know.
First request a refund.
Then if that goes ignored, you may need to demand one.
eBay protects you, supposedly, from this sort of BS. Read up on eBay return policies.

Another option is to request a partial refund, to cover repair costs.

"As is" is fine if it's being sold as broken, unknown condition, etc. But if it's stated to be in working condition, and it's not, then there are supposed to be consequences. (This assumes it's really the fault of the item, too, and not user error.)

I've not had to deal with something like this in a long, long time. But I know others who have. I'll email one of them, and see if she'll be kind enough to post her experience here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
First request a refund. Then if that goes ignored, you may need to demand one. eBay protects you, supposedly, from this sort of BS. Read up on eBay return policies.
I just made my first 2 eBay purchases over the weekend -- an SR-V10U and a CTB-100 -- and both are supposedly covered "automatically" (i.e., no cost) by "eBay Buyer Protection":
http://pages.ebay.com/coverage/index.html

Kevin

P.S. Both of those listings had stated return times, though, so I don't know whether this particular eBay "protection" coverage also applies to items listed with "no returns" ... Look for the multi-colored eBay "shield" in the listing ...

P.P.S. Also, both of those listings were for "Buy Now" items ...

Last edited by newkt; 05-16-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added P.S. and P.P.S.
05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Free Member

Here ya go from LordSmurf's "person who has dealt with this."

It's always good to deal only with sellers who WILL accept returns. It shows a level of good customer service. However, many sellers are gun-shy about this, and there are as many sellers who have gotten burnt by buyers as the reverse. So I've noticed a lot of them have become "no returns."

HOWEVER--that doesn't really matter, as far as eBay is concerned. As eBay states on virtually every item page, they will cover your purchase price in case of a problem. It's called a "not as described" claim. Basically, if you receive a VCR and it's "not as described" in the original ad, you can open a dispute. eBay will LIKELY rule in your favor and you will receive a refund.

In these situations, I've found that the best thing to do is to contact the seller as soon as you receive the item and find a problem. Don't be confrontational. Just say, "We may have a small problem...the fast-forward button is missing (or whatever). Your ad described the VCR as being in perfect condition and did not mention this flaw. Is there a way we can resolve this?"

You will probably need to take photos of the problem, or maybe even a short video (if it's a playback issue, for example).

See what the seller says and the vibe you get. If he seems willing to work with you, ask him if he would be open to a partial refund to cover the repair cost for the problem. (You may or may not get enough money for the actual repair.)

If he replies and says "Sorry--not my problem--the ad was 'no returns,'" then you'll have to make a decision. You can file a claim with eBay, and if eBay rules in your favor, you will need to send the item back and will receive a refund.

If you want to keep the unit, however, you're stuck, as eBay's policy does not include partial refunds. Partial refunds are something that are informally negotiated between seller and buyer. It enables the buyer to keep the flawed item for a lower price, while the seller can still receive good feedback.

So make sure you read every ad carefully. If the seller never actually says that the unit works (plays, ejects, etc.) then you might be screwed. "Not as described" literally means: when you receive the unit, does it match the description in the ad? If not, then yes, you have recourse with eBay. Just try to work with the seller first.
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Free Member

I just wanted to say yesterday that I got the JVC HR S8000U. The machine came in its original box and looked wonderful. There was not one scratch on the unit and the remote even had the original plastics on it. I tried the unit and all of the transport functions seemed to produce a picture. The VHS playback of the unit was excellent, and I am very impressed with the flip down control panel of the unit. However, I am very unimpressed with the Super VHS playback. I did a test timer recording with the Doctor Oz show today. When I played back the tape, the unit had the infamous white streaks. I am completely mortified. I looked all over the internet and no where did anyone say anything about this unit having a white streak problem. Just to describe it to everyone, they are these little comets that show up in various places on the image, only in Super VHS playback. The problem looks the same as my JVC HR S6900U. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I've been thinking about it, and I might complain to ebay about this, as this unit apparently isn't in 100% working order as the guy described.

Quote:
JVC HR-S8000 Super VHS VCR , one of the finest ever made , still in factory box , never used but tested 100% perfect , complete with high-tech remote plus new batteries , with all cables/accessories, new tape, and instruction manual. Has all features you'll ever need , an attractive design with drop-down control panel , wood side panels and shock absorbing feet. Super VHS tapes still available in stores . This is the last of the breed. Note: Ships to USA address only .
This is actually what the auction had said. I believe that if I can't solve this white streak problem, I have reason to demand a refund of this unit. The unit is immaculate in every other way though, and it looks better than any other machine that I bought off ebay. The unit is also very heavy, and although those wood side panels are fake, they look alot better than my JVC HR S6900U. So, what do you guys think I should do. Just to recap, the unit rewinds and fastforwards ok, VHS playback is great, but Super VHS playback produces white streaks. I have tried a handful of tapes already as well and all except part of one had produced white streaks. One other thing, this unit doesn't like tapes recorded on other VCR's, I have to adjust the tracking for virtually every tape except prerecorded VHS tapes. Tasuke, have you had any problems like this?