Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDinOR View Post
Thank you, thank you and thank you again. Finally got picture, only had sound. Nice work man.
If you need more help, just ask.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Free Member

I am having an issue with my ATI TV wonder 600......
12-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut_ter View Post
I am having an issue with my ATI TV wonder 600......
in order to help you we need a lot more info, what kind of issues are you having?
The following users thank DeeSeven for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-14-2013)
12-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Free Member

I have installed the driver from this thread and am trying to use it with VirtualDub. It is working, but the audio appears to be clipping slightly in places and I have been trying to find a way to adjust the volume in a Windows 7 installation. Is there a simple way to adjust the input volume? I have seen instructions for other ATI capture devices using the "Video -> Capture Filter" in VirtualDub but the ATI USB 600 has no option for volume there.
12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Free Member

There's a value hidden in the registry to adjust it, but I never really spent enough time to figure out how it worked.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; remember that dwords are hex, not decimal
; exact registry location will differ by hardware install

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0009\settings\DecoderProperties]
"VCRMask"=dword:00000000      ; # of lines masked out [equal top and bottom]
"MaskColor"=dword:00000000    ; 0=Gray, 1=Black

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0009\settings\OEMSettings]
"AC97VolumeLN"=dword:00000040 ; Line IN AC97 source balance adjustments -  valid range 0..127 [Default 64, but 127 seems to actually lower volume]

; there are a bunch of other settings here that do nothing, including entire blocks copied from eMPIA's webcam drivers
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-18-2013)
12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Free Member

Thanks! That registry setting was what I needed. The AC97VolumeLN key wasn't originally present in the registry, but adding it did work. From what I noticed, "0" sets the volume around three times the default volume, and "127" is about one third the default volume.
The following users thank videoarchive248 for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-18-2013)
02-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Free Member

Does anybody know where to find the right registry key/directory under Windows 10? I searched in some places, but no luck, must be different compared to Windows 7.
06-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Free Member

Also very interested in learning how to do this in windows 10. Tried searching in the registry but no luck. Tried searching for the 4D36.... string as well as any AC97V strings and no success. Anyone else had success or have tricks to find the appropriate registry entry?
07-28-2019, 02:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCaldwell View Post
Also very interested in learning how to do this in windows 10. Tried searching in the registry but no luck. Tried searching for the 4D36.... string as well as any AC97V strings and no success. Anyone else had success or have tricks to find the appropriate registry entry?
I found it here in Windows 10

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0015\settings\OEMSettings
The following users thank requiem_46 for this useful post: KingBuZZo (08-07-2019)
08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem_46 View Post
I found it here in Windows 10

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0015\settings\OEMSettings
Okay, this isn't the right place on my machine, BUT I found a good solution:

Search your registry for the key "AMDEMOD" and into each directory you find this key in, put the "AC97VolumeLN" key with your desired value (I use 295 decimal, which lowers the volume by roughly 10dB). This does the trick for me and should do the trick for anyone else too.
The following users thank KingBuZZo for this useful post: originalsboy11 (05-14-2020)
06-07-2020, 10:25 PM
Free Member

I'm replying here because I was referred to this posting. I tried using the CD that came with the ATI 600 USB and I couldn't get it to be recognized in XP. I also tried the link below from msgohan http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...sb-ati-600-usb
I ran the setup.exe file from that but still the ATI600 wasn't recognized. I then attempted to "update driver" which searched among that same folder from msgohan but it never turned up any drivers that it was looking for. So now I am trying to put together these rar files and can't figure out how to do that either. It's not something I'm familiar with.
Editing this post. Apparently 7zip was having a problem unpacking that. Now trying winrar and waiting to see how it goes after cd is burned.

-- merged --

OK. Got the iso burned on a CD. Ran xp/setup.exe. XP still wouldn't recognize ATI 600.In attachments one window remained open after software said it was finished installing. The other attachment showed failure when I plugged the ATI 600 in after the install.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg error iso.jpg (19.1 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg ati2 fail.jpg (45.0 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg window remained opened after catalyst said it was installed.jpg (66.0 KB, 4 downloads)
06-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohank View Post
XP still wouldn't recognize ATI 600.
Your computer may have an error. Either the OS install, or the USB ports.
- Is this a random old XP computer? Not one with a fresh XP install?
- Are you sure these are USB2 ports? Not USB1. And I've also read where some USB3 can be weird with USB2 devices -- though extremely uncommon.

"Hardware Update Wizard" should not be run at all. Where did that come from?

On that Modify/Repair/Remove option, try Repair.

Remember: Only AIW requires XP. The 600 USB card will work fine with Vista/7. And even 8/10 will usually work (for a while) before updates bork it.

06-08-2020, 04:33 PM
Free Member

It's a Dell e1705 Inspiron Laptop.I looked at the manual and it has only usb2 ports. It's still running the same XP that it came with. That suits me as if I reinstalled XP there are several programs that might be very difficult to find and reinstall.

Eureka. I went to the burned CD and clicked install/xp. setup. This time I did the advanced setup and avoided setting up Catalyst. It went through (without that window asking if I wanted to modify, remove etc). It said it was finished. I turned off the laptop. It has 2 usb ports on the side and 4 on the back. Previously I had the ATI600 in the port on the side. This time I put it in the back. It went through an install procedure for the ATI600 and didn't show an error and, for the 1st time, when I opened device manager no yellow triangle! Right now the only program I have on the laptop that can capture is Catalyst. It seemed to tax the laptop pretty heavily but could capture the ATI. The last time I tried Virtualdub it really taxed my much more powerful Win10 laptop. I was still trying to find the right configuration last time I used it. So if someone could point me to the best version and capture settings for this XP laptop that would be appreciated. Also, I did plug the ATI 600 into the win10 yesterday as I was floundering around trying to make something work and it didn't automatically install correctly. It said it finished automatically installing but in device manager it showed an error. If it's possible to use it on the win10 PC that would be great as it's much more powerful. I stopped the windows updates last year and so far they haven't forced me to resume them. So a tip on how to install it on Win10 also much appreciated.

PS: Oh no, after restarting now the ATI600 has the yellow triangle again in device manager. I guess I'll try the setup again....
...Did the setup and also choose "repair" . restarted and the yellow triangle is gone. Not sure what happened there? So if I could get some tips on the right Vdub for XP and possible Win10 install that would be a big help. Thanks

-- merged --

I downloaded Vdub 1.10.4. It looked like it was capturing but when I played the file there was no video and the audio was sped up. This is what the videos properties were (in attachment). I guess I've got a lot of adjusting to do in Vdub.

-- merged --

I guess getting vdub to work is getting off the subject so I'll start another topic on that. I'd still appreciate some tips on trying to get the ATI 600 to be recognized in win10. Thanks

-- merged --

ATI600 has the yellow triangle again in device manager. I'll try the setup again. I wonder why it won't stay recognized? I'm not doing anything else with this laptop besides this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1705 xp and specs.jpg (12.9 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 1st vdub cap ati600 no vid, sped up audio.jpg (47.3 KB, 6 downloads)
06-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

I really have no idea what you're doing.

For example, what does a screen cap of "smplayer" have to do with anything?

For VirtualDub, you need to read posts in the forum. v1.10.x is not suggested, the v1.9.x linked is. And then Preview mode is required, and further tweaks may be needed (following sanlyn's guide here in the forum -- but also reading the entire thread, including my comments).

ATI 600 USB on Win10 can be fiddly, as there is no single OS of "Win10". There are many versions of Win10, and some will outright refuse to install capture cards. Some cards are more resilient than others, but the 600 USB isn't one. Ironically, the 600 USB clones are, using the generic eMPIA drivers.

06-09-2020, 06:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I really have no idea what you're doing.
Smplayer is the player I use when playing videos. I was just trying to show what Vdub captured.
OK. I started working my way through sanlyns guide. A fair amount of the discussion on this thread is over my head but I'm trying to get the settings going. Thanks
06-10-2020, 11:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

@Ohank, your off-topic VirtualDub conversation was moved here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ati-600-a.html
Continue VirtualDub discussion there.

06-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Free Member

I went through this procedure 3 times at the start then it went 2 times without needing to reinstall. Today it's again unrecognized. I still haven't managed a usable capture yet but that seems to be between me and Vdub but I'd like to figure out if it's possible to keep it recognized without reinstalling (repairing) from the CD. Thanks.
06-13-2020, 11:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohank View Post
I went through this procedure 3 times at the start then it went 2 times without needing to reinstall. Today it's again unrecognized. I still haven't managed a usable capture yet but that seems to be between me and Vdub but I'd like to figure out if it's possible to keep it recognized without reinstalling (repairing) from the CD. Thanks.
Something has to be wrong with your OS install, or the hard drive. I've never had this issue in XP, nor read about it with anybody.

It is common with Win10, some Win8 reports, but that's it.

06-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Something has to be wrong with your OS install, or the hard drive. I've never had this issue in XP, nor read about it with anybody.

It is common with Win10, some Win8 reports, but that's it.
No clue about that. I'm a newbie in both video capturing and the inner workings of computer operating systems although I may be getting my advanced newbie degree by the time I get these 8mm camcorder tapes archived. The laptop has behaved pretty well in general considering it's age. Sometimes I'll turn the laptop on and the ATI is recognized. Sometimes not. Just now I'm doing an experiment. I seem to have noticed an error message on startup that, if my memory serves me correctly, is when the ATI600 is recognized. This morning I turned it on and the ATI600 was not recognized. I reinstalled, repaired and restarted. Then I got the message "Seagate Seagate disc wizard is stopped. scheduler has been stopped". The ATI600 was recognized. Just now I uninstalled "Seagate Disc Wizard". Now I'll see if there is a correlation.
I restarted once and so far the ATI600 is recognized. So we'll see. Now to see if I can capture something.

-- merged --

Maybe made some progress on this today. BTW uninstalling Seagate Disc Utulity didn't help. Today though the ATI 600 was again not recognized. I thought to try unplugging it and plugging in again. This time I got the message "The ATI 600is a high speed usb device and will function at a reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port. " Then it said I should click the message to see the ports. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the diagram that came up but I just started plugging it into different USB ports. There are 4 usb ports on the back and two on the side. The ATI600 was originally in one of the 2 rows of two on the back. I tried it on the side usb ports but still unrecognized in device manager. Then I plugged it into the other row of two on the back and it was recognized. I'm attaching the picture of what I saw before replugging. I was still looking at this window after replugging but didn't see it change but the ATI 600 was recognized so I'll keep my fingers crossed I won't have to reinstall.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi speed usb2 port.jpg (57.9 KB, 3 downloads)
06-17-2020, 02:35 AM
Site Staff | Video

You have OS and/or USB port issues. Seen that before.

Every so often, my dev system balks (where I test cards), must reboot it. Then it sorts itself.

One other possible problem is too many USB devices in the registry.
Clean up your system with USBDeview : https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html. After I do that, everything is fine.
My dev/test system has so many USB in/outs that it's a whore.

Not all ports are equal. The problem pair may be off-board ports. I know lots of desktop cases have lousy ports compared to the motherboard ports.