12-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Free Member

So I've read all over, including this site about the problems that people have with ATI's drivers and MMC software. I have an ATI x800xt AIW. What would you guys recommend I use to capture off of a VHS/TV? I've spent alot of time just getting the software to work, and it only does so marginally.
thanks!
-teb
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Being one of the very last cards in the ATI AIW AGP Radeon series of cards, you'd want to stick to ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC) version 9.02, or ATI MMC 9.06 (if forced by the card's drivers -- some of the later cards only worked with certain 9.x versions and up). The drivers that are suggested would be whatever came on the disc with the card. Newer drivers available online would undoubtedly be "too new" for optimal performance as we suggest.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Being one of the very last cards in the ATI AIW AGP Radeon series of cards, you'd want to stick to ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC) version 9.02, or ATI MMC 9.06 (if forced by the card's drivers -- some of the later cards only worked with certain 9.x versions and up). The drivers that are suggested would be whatever came on the disc with the card. Newer drivers available online would undoubtedly be "too new" for optimal performance as we suggest.
Do you know how to tell which version of MMC is on the disc I have? In your guides the screen shots you have look like it's from a newer version than I have on the disc, but I'm not sure.
12-31-2008, 03:48 PM

Most of the ATI installers are named after the MMC version. One file on my hard drive is named "mmc-8-9-0-0.exe" and that would be ATI MMC v8.9 setup file. Look around on the disc.

Otherwise, you'd have to install it. Early in the install process, it probably says what version it is.

It might even be printed on the disc, sometimes it was.

12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Most of the ATI installers are named after the MMC version. One file on my hard drive is named "mmc-8-9-0-0.exe" and that would be ATI MMC v8.9 setup file. Look around on the disc.

Otherwise, you'd have to install it. Early in the install process, it probably says what version it is.

It might even be printed on the disc, sometimes it was.
Ok thanks,
i'll look around. What's irritating is that I got it to work last year, then the pc was in storage for a while and when i fired it back up the drivers for the capture device were gone. Now when i try to use it with new drivers it drops about 40% of the frames. sigh lol
01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Free Member

ok 9.03 is what's on the disk for mmc. I'll give that a shot.
01-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Yeah, give that a try.

The other major issue with capturing is to disable other software, especially anything running "TSR" down by the clock. That would be firewalls, anti-virus, etc. See the "avoid dropped frames" guide on the main digitalFAQ.com site for more details and a larger list.