09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

WELL,AS CLOSE TO ORIGINAL ANALOG -VIEWED VHS AS POSSIBLE ANYWAY!!!!....Converted to Digital!!!...After almost TWO YEARS of RESEARCH and Pouring over this website,And Accepting the fact that YES,I HAVE TO BUILD A 3rd COMPUTER(XP) FOR VHS CAPTURE ONLY,(ABOUT $650.00 and then some!!!)...I finally Got some fruits from the labor,THIS HERE VHS VIDEO CAPTURE-TO-DIGITAL THING IS NOT EASY!!!....After Discovering a BAD "PREMIUM" S-Video Cable,we wre off and running to the races!!!....Then I Set up my AIW MPEG2-DVD, according to YOUR GUIDE, With VIDEO SOAP ON an XP MACHINE and BURNED A DVD With ROXIO(sonic solutions)and It LOOKED FANTASTIC!!!(AS GOOD AS ORIGINAL,BUT ON DIGITAL FORMAT!!!)....WAY BETTER THAN ANY OTHER FUTILE ATTEMPTS I TRIED BEFORE!!(ON WIN 7 With Only Jerky Video Before even attempting to Record something!!!)....I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT CRAP!!!!.....The Commentary I have to say is...Whether it is Video,or Audio, or Both,After working with Auido, and now Video,THE MEMORIES EXIST IN OUR MINDS ARE SUPER-DIGITAL..AND NO MEDIUM,CAN PERFECTLY REPLICATE THAT MEMORY,BUT WE CAN COME AWFUL CLOSE!!!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
BURNED A DVD With ROXIO(sonic solutions)
This may be a weak link in your method. Depending on what Roxio is doing, you may be able to get even better quality. Can you take screenshots and/or explain the full process of what you're doing in Roxio's software to author/burn your video to DVD. You've gotten the ATI capturing part down, and maybe are skipping the editing (because it's not always needed anyway). But let's be sure you're truly 100% where you need to be. Let's not put up a "Mission Accomplished" banner just yet (ZING! Take that Bushy!).

I also don't have time for "crap", yet I run into a lot of it -- especially when testing new methods. The pay-off, however, comes by way of learning that folks like you are able to avoid further hassles, because of the hassles I've dealt with. Living vicariously, if you will. Your success is my success, even if indirectly.

So let's pour over your method one last time with a fine-toothed comb, and then we'll pop the champagne cork after one last review.

Also consider posting a tiny clip of one of your MPEG videos -- something less than 16MB in size (and attached to the forum), or something larger submitted via Dropbox or local FTP. You'll need to PM user "admin" for FTP login information, should you want to take advantage of that (something extended to Premium Members only).

Aside from that, it's good to hear everything is working better than it had in the past. And that you located the bad cable, as per other recent past posts. Do like I do -- throw it in the trash, so you never accidentally use it again. Or return it to the store, if new enough. Or put it in the garage or storage shed, to be used for outdoor needs -- like tying up tree limbs for garbage day!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanks KP!,from OFNC54 (Old Fart-New Comer,54 yrs old) this Project Has been VERY IMPORTANT to me,For many Years Now,(Along with the other Audio/Music Recording and Cassette Tape-Transfer-to-Digital Projects Too!)...I have Popped the Champagne Cork with Audio Cassette(more later),But only Beer with Video!!!...(BTW I Have a pegboard with hangers in the closet with Many years worth of audio and specailty music-gear cables and connectors,And Audio Recording Gear,And an Audio Computer/Software that I,m Still trying to figure out!!).....ANYWAY, I have a Win7 Computer,I got for Video Capture and Editing,which is now only for Editing,and happens to have Roxio and Imgburn.... Roxio was the Quickest way I had to make a DVD from the ATI file From My XP Capture Computer, To test for Reverse-Interlace Error, Still Un-familiar with IMGBURN!...,THE XP Computer is only for capturing,then I transfer the ATI-VCR/MPEG File to Win7 computer, for editing/burning,I'm trying to keep "XP CAPTURE COMPUTER" Free from any-other software and off-line as much as possible!(Just like the Vendor of my Music PC says!!!)...I am working with VHS Masters of Steam Train footage, from a consumer-grade VHS camera made in (1989?)with Mono sound.The fastest action is probably the 1991-'92-93 Actual Steam Footage,... Puffing out of the Smokestacks of the Steam Engines...(at Microseconds Per Min.),with Railroad Tracks,...and then Mountains in the background,Just like a Sergio Leones Movie!!!But I think I was trying to force too much out of a consumer grade camera at the time!!!...The other important footage of the time is of Us Standing Around Playing Music!!!!......So Far The XP computer with 9600 Card has yeilded the best results as far as VHS to DVD Transfer,and i will submit a thumbnail soon!!!!
09-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

I hope this gets through of 1st tesy from BAKENVIDS
09-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Here's a clip from AIW test; Played From DVHS (TBC on), to AVToolbox (factory settings), to 9600XT, and MMC preset to: MPEG2DVD,.4.0MB/s,..352x480, and NO VIDEOSOAP, Camera used was (and is with all my tapes) a Panisonic(?) from about 1988 or so,Mono sound,Basic consumer-grade VHS Camera, But this particular tape is S-vhs grade,,filmed in 1993..,Hope I uploaded the file correctly!!,It's About 7MB, .wmv,Edited on Win Live Movie Maker On Win7 dual core

Attached Files
File Type: wmv 2Bakenvids test ATI .wmv (6.23 MB, 11 downloads)

Last edited by rocko; 09-09-2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: wrong enntry
09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

There's been some quality loss by converting the capture to WMV format, including deinterlacing.

But looking at other aspects of the video, it seems fine. Maybe a tad soft/blurry, but I'll assume that's native to the tape (or rather, the original consumer-grade VHS camera), and not a byproduct of something you done. Do be sure the VCR is not on "Soft" mode, however.

I don't hear anything in need of restoration. It's probably low and minimal, if noise exists.

Everything looks good from here, accounting for everything I've noted.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: rocko (09-12-2011)
09-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

I checked the "play perfect tape" settings on Mitsubishi HS-HD 2000U, it was on "auto" setting,so who knows if it was playing soft or sharp!!!!,so I changed to "normal" setting,should be off now,!!(I forgot about that soft/sharp playback setting until you mentioned it,So Thanks Again!!...The main camera lens was probably average grade sharpness,in fact all components were probably average,but was all I had to work with at the time,for all my filming,(1987-2005, or so)But I learned (from audio experience) to use High-grade vhs tapes for anything important!!(usually TDK V-HG or HDX-PRO),and kept the heads clean!...So that is what my most important work is on,to try and capture and "improve" as much as possible,but at the same time,I do need to keep the "silk purse from a sow's ear" theory in mind! The biggest battle with the camera was making sure the Auto-Iris was off!!But the shotgun-mike really helped the sound a lot!..SO I will re-capture with new setting and send a clip or two. I did notice some Stair-Stepping along the top of the train cars and steam engine,and always on shots of railroad tracks too!!Don't worry,I'll find something wrong with My set-up or settings or something,somehow!!! BTW, what program can I use to edit and send a MPEG(?) ,or un-recompressed file?, I have several that I'm still un-familiar with,Like Virtualdub,ImgBurn,Roxio,Handbrake,Vobedit06,and Windows Live Movie Maker was the one Quickest to use Last time,And am planning to purchase or trial Womble and TMPEnc soon!!(BTW,one of those two used(?) to have a neat little demo web page of each video filter, with b-4 and after split/screen shots,did they remove it? Enough for now!! Thanks!!
09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
it was on "auto" setting,so who knows if it was playing soft or sharp!!!!
I'm reminded of one of those 70s-80s commercials ... I forget which one ... "The world will never know."
And that's the truth.
Ideally, you never want to let software or a computer just do whatever it wants. You're the operator -- you control it!

Quote:
But I learned (from audio experience) to use High-grade vhs tapes for anything important!!(usually TDK V-HG or HDX-PRO),and kept the heads clean!
I think we all learned that the hard way. In the 1980s, I learned how cheap tapes look awful, while higher end tapes from the likes of BASF, JVC, TDK and Maxell were excellent. (Maxell tanked in quality around 1999.) I upgraded to S-VHS in the 1990s.

Quote:
I did notice some Stair-Stepping along the top of the train cars and steam engine,and always on shots of railroad tracks too!!Don't worry,I'll find something wrong with My set-up or settings or something,somehow!!!
That's an issue with deinterlacing. You never want to deinterlace video when it's going from VHS to DVD.

Quote:
BTW, what program can I use to edit and send a MPEG(?) ,or un-recompressed file?, I have several that I'm still un-familiar with,Like Virtualdub,ImgBurn,Roxio,Handbrake,Vobedit06,and Windows Live Movie Maker was the one Quickest to use Last time,And am planning to purchase or trial Womble and TMPEnc soon!!(BTW,one of those two used(?) to have a neat little demo web page of each video filter, with b-4 and after split/screen shots,did they remove it? Enough for now!! Thanks!
Womble. Definitely Womble.

See these:
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-mpeg-vcr.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...mble-mpeg.html
- Video Guides > Edit > Remove Footage with Womble MPEG-VCR

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (09-22-2011)