digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Using JVC 9600U, odd white line at top of screen (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3475-jvc-9600u-odd.html)

retartedted 09-17-2011 02:36 PM

Using JVC 9600U, odd white line at top of screen

2 Attachment(s)
It hasn't always done this, but as of late there is a white line at the top of the screen. It happens whether I am playing a tape or not. It also is present when using either composite or SVHS cables.

Anyone ever ran into this before? Any clues as to what it might be?

Thanks!

lordsmurf 09-17-2011 07:45 PM

I've looked at this post a few times today, hesitating to reply with "I don't know" -- but that's all I can come up with, unfortunately. What is the full workflow of your hardware? Which model of VCR, TBC, other video hardware, and capture card or DVD recorder? The problem has to lie somewhere along that path. You've already eliminated the tape, seeing how it appears on the VCR blue screens.

I will say this, however: At least it's small and in the overscan. You can simply mask it. (In fact, you should be masking your overscans, as it just wastes bitrate, seeing how it's often just random noise off-screen.)

retartedted 09-17-2011 08:09 PM

First off, thanks for replying!

The workflow is pretty straight forward.

JVC HR-9600U -> SVHS cable -> Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850

I have tested on my capture card with both composite and svhs output, same result. There is no TBC or anything else inline.

I have also tried plugging it into the TV and the white line is indeed just out of view in the overscan.

I have plugged other VCR's into the capture card and there are no white lines. So it appears to be the 9600 only.

It is just sort of frustrating when doing captures as I can see that there is some detail/image up there in the white.

lordsmurf 09-17-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

First off, thanks for replying!
No problem. Welcome to the site. :)

Quote:

I have also tried plugging it into the TV and the white line is indeed just out of view in the overscan.
Well, not necessarily --- that's a somewhat hasty conclusion. There's also the chance the computer or the capture card is causing the problem. In that scenario, you'd still not see the error, and you'd be eliminating the VCR and the cable as the culprit. It's too bad you don't have any full-frame viewer, like a another computer (with another capture card), or a full-frame broadcast monitor, as that would help the process of elimination for troubleshooting.

Quote:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850
I'd like to look further at this part of the equation. Specifically, the drivers in use, and the software being used.

What drivers are being used, and might Windows update have messed it up?
(Too many people let Windows Update run automatically, and it has a bad habit of screwing things up like this.)

What software?

Quote:

It hasn't always done this, but as of late
The one monkey wrench in all of this is this statement here. Something changed. It had to.

retartedted 09-17-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 17341)
What drivers are being used, and might Windows update have messed it up?

I have the most recent Hauppauge drivers installed. No funny business from Windows.

Quote:

What software?

I have used WinTV (included software), VirtualDub, and VirtualVCR. All same results.

Quote:

The one monkey wrench in all of this is this statement here. Something changed. It had to.

The odd thing is, when it first started to appear a couple of weeks ago, unplugging then plugging the power back in the VCR would sort it out.

I am really beginning to lean towards a fault on the unit itself, although I have never heard of a problem like this before. But I will keep digging. Not giving up yet :)

I may uninstall/re-install the card here in a few just to double check. Now that I think of it, I also have a DVD recorder boxed up somewhere in the basement that I can also dig out and see if the problem persists when plugged into that.

Thanks again!

lordsmurf 09-17-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retartedted (Post 17342)
Now that I think of it, I also have a DVD recorder boxed up somewhere in the basement that I can also dig out and see if the problem persists when plugged into that.

There you go! Plug the VCR into the DVD recorder, then make a recording. Open the recorded/finalized DVD in VLC on the computer. See if the error is present there. If so, then swap out the cable and try again. If not, then the error is definitely the card/computer.

If it's determined the card/computer is at fault, go ahead and try your uninstall/reinstall. I'd go so far as to suggest older drivers be used, and not the current ones. Newer isn't always better. Often times, it's actually much worse -- especially on video cards, due to the draconian DRM/anti-copy issues that video companies must deal with. Those, of course, often lead to various errors, as anti-copy is a really sloppy video hack (analog or digital).

If the error still persists, try the card on another computer, to see if the computer itself may be the culprit. It could be a problem in the graphics card overlay, for all we know right now.

retartedted 09-19-2011 04:54 PM

I am still getting the same white line on the DVD recorder. So it is definitely the JVC 9600.

What a shame, such a nice VCR :(

EDIT: to clarify, the video that was recorded straight from the JVC 9600 to the DVD recorder still had the white line on it. Completely bypassing the computer all together.

retartedted 02-26-2012 10:25 AM

Just a quick follow up...

After letting this deck sit for about 6 months, I fired it up and the white line is gone. I have gotten about a good 2+ hours of use out of it without the white line rearing its ugly head.

Very odd.

Now I am just curious as to what would have caused it? Power source (I have since purchased a different UPS)? EMI of some sort? I will probably never know but I imagine that it was something along those lines.

Again, thanks for your help lordsmurf!

lordsmurf 04-01-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retartedted (Post 19724)
Now I am just curious as to what would have caused it? Power source (I have since purchased a different UPS)? EMI of some sort? I will probably never know

All I can to that is this: Welcome to the world of video! :D

Easily one of the most frustrating lines of work there is.
Indeed, you may never know. Both of your guesses, however, and very educated (congrats!) and very likely.