digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   No picture when capturing.. (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/355-picture-capturing.html)

Superstar 01-19-2009 12:38 AM

No picture when capturing..

I'm capturing with Hauppage WinTV32 & I just ran into a problem. I have no picture, the sound has come up, but no picture is showing. I have the S-Video plug in..when I have that in, I don't need to use the yellow video cord right?
What could be the problem?
I also noticed that after I changed my sound card a few weeks ago, the sound is kinda echoey..even if I click something with my mouse, the clicking sound is an echoey type sound, that's really the best way I can describe it because that's what it sounds like..I played back the few min. of video I did try to capture, it still has no picture, but the sound is also echoey, why would it be like this? The sound card is the Diamond Extreme Sound 7.1

lordsmurf 01-19-2009 05:08 PM

What happens is you try to use the yellow composite cable from the VCR to the capture card? Any change?

We do NOT want to use composite for capturing in the long-run, but it will help troubleshoot for now.

Superstar 01-19-2009 05:14 PM

I can't even get the yellow cord in...the yellow cord plug has white blockers or something inside of it...I've never seen that before, it looks like a smaller plug inside of the actual video plug, and I can't get it out, so I can't even use the 2 video plugs because they both have that inside if them..
I checked the plug in the s-video and in my computer and I have them in as far as they can go, so the connection isn't loose or anything like that.

lordsmurf 01-19-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

I checked the connections and made sure I had the S-Video cord in all the way and it is in both the VCR and computer (i dont have the yellow cord in tho, I noticed the video plug in the back is weird, theres like, white blockers inside the actual plug and I cant even get the yellow cord in even if I wanted to, Ive never seen that before, I'm sure yours is the same way too)
The AG-1980P has BNC connectors, not composite, if I remember correctly. I've got composite adapters on mine, it came that way.

For this troubleshooting, let's set aside the VCR too.

Get another VCR, any VCR, or a DVD player. Whatever you have in the house. Plug it into the capture card (play a non-important tape, not your wrestling tapes -- or a DVD of some kind).

Let's see if the card works. Feed it a signal, from composite, from something.

Superstar 01-19-2009 05:20 PM

Video picture shows up with the other VCR that I was using prior to buying the the AG-1980P..the picture comes up from the Yellow cord, I don't have S-Video on that VCR, so I can't test that.
I even tried changing channels on the AG-1980P, and that didn't work. Do I need to have a coax cable hooked up from the VCR to my card? I didn't think that would matter because I didn't have one hooked up with the other VCR, and because the sound still plays, but no picture, the screen stays black.

Superstar 01-19-2009 07:58 PM

I honestly don't know what it could be. Is there maybe a setting on the VCR that I need to change to make it show up, or a certain channel on the VCR it needs to be set to? I had it on the different "A" channels, channel 3, and none of them worked.
Should I use a coax cable and hook that from the VCR to the computer? I didn't do that with the other VCR..I'm just grasping at straws here, I don't know what it would be, it's very frustrating to say the least

admin 01-19-2009 08:51 PM

Did you install all of the Hauppauge drivers? I was suppose to get a card a couple of months ago, but the donor never sent one my way, so I'm unable to provide the detailed guides as I had wanted to do for this card.

The card could always be bad, if it cannot get any signal at all. It may be wrong settings in the WinTV software, but I don't readily know how that software functions.

I might see if I can find a card somewhere.

Superstar 01-19-2009 09:11 PM

I wouldnt think it would be the drivers only because it worked fine with the other VCR..

Superstar 01-19-2009 09:23 PM

I just updated the drivers on their website, but unfortunately that didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

admin 01-19-2009 09:51 PM

Are there any input settings on the WinTV software, and if so, what input is it looking to record from?

Another issue may reside in your computer graphics card. Video is typically shown in the overlay layer of computer "video" (graphics). What kind of video card do you have? Or does it use the motherboard? Are the drivers for it fully and properly installed?

What happens if you try to capture the "blank" video, and then open the video file inside of Womble's software (which does NOT display the video content in overlay). Maybe you can record, but just cannot see it live, due to issues on the rest of the computer.

It may be worth testing this card in another computer, too, to remove the computer itself from the list of possible problems (or clearly show that the card itself is defective).

Superstar 01-19-2009 11:27 PM

Input settings? I don't believe so..I have the settings and hookups that I used with my last VCR, and it worked fine...I captured many videos on it.
I'm not sure about the video card, but if I view a video on YouTube or something, they play fine. I don't know if that means anything or not.
I just tried to open it in Womble, and the sound plays fine, but there's no picture still.

admin 01-19-2009 11:51 PM

1. So you have captured with this Hauppauge card before?
2. Assuming Question 1 was answered, "yes", then --- And it worked fine with another VCR?

Superstar 01-20-2009 06:05 AM

Yes to both questions.

admin 01-20-2009 06:13 AM

It does not sound like the capture card, in that case.

Two more questions:
1. Do you still have that other VCR?
2. If so, can you still capture from that VCR, plugged into the Hauppauge card?

Superstar 01-20-2009 10:45 AM

Yes I can..

lordsmurf 01-20-2009 11:01 AM

There are only a few options that I can see at this moment:

1. The Hauppauge s-video input does not work, or some setting in the software is not set correctly (it's looking for video on composite instead).

2. The Panasonic AG-1980P s-video output does not work.

3. The s-video wire is bad.

We need to figure out which one it is.

Superstar 01-20-2009 11:22 AM

hmm..well, i did get the vcr on ebay and the guy said it was guaranteed to work, and i just bought the s-video cord (i know that doesnt guaranteed it works though) what setting do you suggest i look for in hauppauge? do you tihnk theres any one of those 3 options u gave that we can eliminate?

lordsmurf 01-20-2009 11:24 AM

The easy one is to try another s-video cable.
Next you can see if the AG-1980P outputs a video signal from its coaxial connection (RF screw-in wire) to a tv set.

Superstar 01-20-2009 12:24 PM

I tried another S-Video cord, and that didn't work. So I assume that eliminates that possibility. The S-Video and audio cables are hooked into the output on the VCR, right? I know it is, but just double checking..lol
I hooked the VCR up to the tv and it seemed to work, I have a lot of stuff hooked up in the area of the tv so I couldnt hook it up fully but it seemed to get a signal from the tv..so I guess that worked also..

Superstar 01-20-2009 12:28 PM

I also hooked a coax cable from the VCR to the computer along with the s-video cord and that didn't work either. Is there a specific channel or setting on the VCR maybe that it needs to be set to?
Or...should I make uninstall hauppauge and reinstall it? I'm just grasping at straws..