Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Free Member

On software do I need Sound Forge Pro 10.0? or Sony Architect can work? or how about Audio Studio Sound Forge 10.0?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1ero View Post
On software do I need Sound Forge Pro 10.0? or Sony Architect can work? or how about Audio Studio Sound Forge 10.0?
I have Pinnacle 14, but was checking on the site that the new version is up. To your knowledge{lordsmurf) or any other Pro, Pinnacle HD ultimate is it similar to Sound Forge?
11-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I would not buy from eBay seller "lenigmatic" because he has 6 negative feedbacks stating tape players arrived DOA.
Untested from somebody with that history? No way.

Pinnacle Studio 14 isn't even remotely the same as Sound Forge.
Pinnacle is toy software for consumers -- a supremely buggy and crappy video editor made to capture video from Pinnacle's equally crappy converter boxes.

Sound Forge is a professional audio editor. Totally different software.

Sony Architect is DVD/Blu-ray authoring software. Again, software for an entirely different task.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Free Member

Alright have to get the Sound Forge, the home edition could give me enough features to adjust sound of videos? Is it friendly? or I'd have to take a coursee for it?

Pinnacle, lol yes 14 version, you can't really do much with it, but capture the videos and equalize the images. So you wouldn't recommend getting Pinnacle 15 HD Studio Collection to restore the image? If not, then what?
11-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

There are discrepancies on the consumer "Studio" edition of Sound Forge and the full pro version properly working with the filter presets pack we offer on this site. I sometimes wonder if it's the difference between legally bought copies of SF Studio, and some badly hacked warez copy. The pro version works perfectly, and then I've seen the Studio version work perfectly, too. The complaints about Studio are still an unsolved mystery.

Don't buy anything from Pinnacle. It's all low-end low-quality stuff.

NOTE: Don't always quote every post if it's not needed. I've removed some unnecessary quotes from the thread. Thanks.
Just reply normally.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
11-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Free Member

el1ero, what kind of tapes are you working with here and what type of audio issues are you trying to fix?

Are all of your tapes linear audio or are you dealing with Hi-Fi audio tapes as well? The "out of the box" quality of linear audio tracks can vary a bit from VCR to VCR. While most of the differences can be mediated with an EQ, some VCRs have particularly muddy linear sound that is harder to correct.

Hi-Fi sound is more consistent between decks, but some decks are better than others at tracking EP tapes -- and if you have lots of EP tapes with HiFi sound (as I do) you can run into the issue where you can't maintain an optimal picture without having to deal with HiFi noise or being forced to drop down to the linear audio track. Most of the pro decks will allow you to mask this easily if the noise is predominantly coming out of one channel.
11-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
some VCRs have particularly muddy linear sound that is harder to correct. .
Some add hiss and whine.
We have samples of this in the restoration database, which will be used in various guides later this year and into next.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!