02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

I highly suggest the ATI 600 and ATI 650 cards. The comparison of video cards against test patterns doesn't really tell a complete story, when it comes to capturing video.
Hello lordsmurf and all readers,

To make a resume, I recently bought a ATI X600 PRO 256MB PCI-E. Then we (I) relealized that we have to use a dual-core to match the PCI-e. Meaning extra depense because we don't have dual-core in our PC park.

Knowing that we have a bunch Pentium IV that are close to the cimetery, I mean they are not used.
I think it would be less $$ to simply buy a PCI ATI card that will fit the P4.

When you talking about ATI 600-650 card are you reffering to USB card?
or the one that come with a S-Video input?
To be honest when I look at ebay, it seem to have so many version! For me it's not clear at all!

Are they 128 MB?

My need are:
P4 compatibility (the best for P4 )
PAL/NTSC compatible for lossless capture.
Digitalfaq compatibility guide.

Any specifics models (or link) are welcome.
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: archivarious (01-16-2021)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You'll find an overview of the All-In-Wonder (AIW) cards in post #6 here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post13441

RAM on the AIW cards ranged from 32MB to 512MB -- but that was for graphics, and does not matter for video capturing.

The main issue between AIW AGP cards is 2x/4x AGP vs later 4x/8x AGP. Motherboards only had 2x/4x AGP until around 2005/2006 or so. A few of the last post-9800 AGP models were 4x/8x. Be aware that ATI did not release cards "in order" in the 9000s. The 9200 and 9600 came after the 9800. The "2005" model is a 4x/8x, and there's only a couple of them in all.

After the AIW cards came other types of cards. Among those were the TV Wonder PCI/USB cards, starting with 500 models that were lousy.
The 600/650 models were next.

"ATI 600" and "ATI 650" cards are not AIW cards. (The X600 AIW is a PCI-express version of the 9600 AIW.)

The 600/650 cards probably work best on computers from its own generation -- dual cores or better. XP SP2 or better.
For an older Pentium 4, I'd suggest an internal ATI AIW AGP card.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
You'll find an overview of the All-In-Wonder (AIW) cards in post #6 here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post13441

RAM on the AIW cards ranged from 32MB to 512MB -- but that was for graphics, and does not matter for video capturing.

The main issue between AIW AGP cards is 2x/4x AGP vs later 4x/8x AGP. Motherboards only had 2x/4x AGP until around 2005/2006 or so. A few of the last post-9800 AGP models were 4x/8x. Be aware that ATI did not release cards "in order" in the 9000s. The 9200 and 9600 came after the 9800. The "2005" model is a 4x/8x, and there's only a couple of them in all.

After the AIW cards came other types of cards. Among those were the TV Wonder PCI/USB cards, starting with 500 models that were lousy.
The 600/650 models were next.

"ATI 600" and "ATI 650" cards are not AIW cards. (The X600 AIW is a PCI-express version of the 9600 AIW.)

The 600/650 cards probably work best on computers from its own generation -- dual cores or better. XP SP2 or better.
For an older Pentium 4, I'd suggest an internal ATI AIW AGP card.
Wow that is pretty prescious knowlege

Thanks you!

Tomorrow I will look at the P4 motherboard to know by wich kind of AGP slut I am limited!
If I am correct normally most of P4 have just 1 AGP slut!?
Meaning that you need a PCI sound card!?

I know that the guide have been written for ATI Radeon 7200 PCI and AGP...maybe that can help me in my card selection

I did some sneak search on ebay! Sapphire readeon! cool name
There is some pretty cheap "new" AIW AGP card...

What do you think about AIW card with S-video built-IN INPUT
Too old I guess! But I like the idea of pluging a S-video cable directly in the card...

It seem the the "theatre 200" is a evolution of "rage theatre"... in terme of timeframe (Pentium 4) Do I am limited to one kind of chipset?

Last edited by Mejnour; 02-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.
02-03-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
If I am correct normally most of P4 have just 1 AGP slut!?
Meaning that you need a PCI sound card!?
Yes and yes. One AGP, need a PCI sound card.

Quote:
What do you think about AIW card with S-video built-IN INPUT
Too old I guess! But I like the idea of pluging a S-video cable directly in the card...
That's just a 9200 graphics card with s-video output. It's not an ATI All In Wonder.
In fact, that's probably NOT an s-video port, but the spot for one of the ATI output cable bundles.

Quote:
It seem the the "theatre 200" is a evolution of "rage theatre"... in terme of timeframe (Pentium 4) Do I am limited to one kind of chipset?
Rage Theatre = Theatre 100. Then came Theatre 200. These perform almost identical. The 200 offloaded some more MPEG hybrid processing, but that's really it. Don't see this as a "limit". These are excellent chipsets. These chips are the reason the ATI All In Wonder cards are as good and respected as they are!

02-03-2012, 03:11 AM

I just wanted to point out a small off-topic thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
AGP slut
- A "slot" is a predetermined location where something is supposed to go. An AGP slot, for example. The slot made for graphics card.
- A "slut" is a girl/woman who sleeps around. A tramp, a harlot.

This was the basis for a joke in the 1996 Beavis & Butthead movie.

The old lady meant "slots" as in "slot machines" (in Las Vegas).
Beavis thought she meant Vegas was full of sluts -- which he took as good news, because he wanted to "score".

I believe English is your second language, so I'm not having a go at you. Just pointing it out. (Plus I'm not sure how well Google will react to the word "sluts" repeated on the site. So probably best to point it out, so that it can be avoided in the future.)

Take care.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: Mejnour (02-03-2012)
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Free Member

I went in the cimetery this morning (I never been there)

Finally I found a P4S8X-X ASUS motherboard

and inside a ATI AIW 9600 XT 128MB AGP

Creative Live Drive & Soundblaster Sound Card

It was there all the time

I just need a IPS monitor (maybe good cheap speaker!? if that exist) and I think I can FINALLY do some testing!