Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
As far as the Ion part, I have the Ion2PC, and the USB mpeg2 capture device is probably the same hardware. Because it compresses, some quality is lost, especially noticeable as blocky video. Also by default, it's fairly blurry (probably in an attempt to reduce noise which reduces blockiness). However there's a way to get better quality from this device, but there's a bit of procedure to it (not just a program or clicking a button). If you want to follow this procedure, you can get noticeably better quality.
Hey, I've also got the ION VIDEO 2 PC and would like to know how you got better quality from the device. Any and all advice would be appreciated, I'm currently using the ION EZ Video Converter software. Is there some better software out there which can be used with the device?

After reading this site the past few days (great site btw) I do realise that the quality will not be anything near what could be achieved with the proper hardware. However, I would still like to transfer a few tapes while I ponder which professional transfer service to use.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kachi; 12-05-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Hey, I've also got the ION VIDEO 2 PC and would like to know how you got better quality from the device.
Honestly, using something else would probably work best. The aforementioned ATI 600 card, or even the right DVD recorder -- ION devices are pretty much bottom-barrel for anything they make: the lousy scanners, those record/LP turntables, or their video gear. It's just junky Chinese made stuff with about $5 in parts. They're massively overpriced.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Honestly, using something else would probably work best. The aforementioned ATI 600 card, or even the right DVD recorder -- ION devices are pretty much bottom-barrel for anything they make: the lousy scanners, those record/LP turntables, or their video gear. It's just junky Chinese made stuff with about $5 in parts. They're massively overpriced.
I know, I know, but considering I only have 8 tapes that I *really* need to convert and 5 additional tapes which are only somewhat important, putting in the money and time to get the proper equipment and do the conversion seems to be a waste. I might as well get a professional service to do a proper conversion. It would probably cost me much less and get me better results.

Until then, I've already got hold of the ION device and might as well use it to the best of its ability. If jmac698 has got some tricks up his sleeve I would be glad to hear them.
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachi View Post
I might as well get a professional service to do a proper conversion. It would probably cost me much less and get me better results.
Very true.

Generally speaking, if you have less than 50 tapes -- especially if you have less than 25 tapes -- it makes more sense to simply use a quality transfer service. Preferably one that will also make the converted DVDs look better than the tapes did. (That's how we operate.)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Free Member

>If jmac698 has got some tricks up his sleeve I would be glad to hear them.
Hi,
The problem with quality here is you are forced to use the Ion application, because Virtualdub doesn't work. The problem with that, is it only lets you save compressed video.

You can try this in Virtualdub, File->Capture AVI,
Device->VCR2PC (Directshow)
Video->Capture Filter, Video Proc Amp tab,
you can adjust sharpness here and other settings, and see them in the preview window.
Here's the problem. If you capture, it will playback as pure green. Only the preview is working, and Avery refuses to add a way to capture directly off the preview pin. In other words, you can't capture what you see, and what is captured is corrupted.

So, you want to capture off the preview pin (what that means I explain in a sec), so that you can get the raw, uncompressed video. I only know how to do this in graphedit.

Get graphedit. Graph->Insert Filters. WDM Streaming Crossbar Devices, VCR2PC Crossbar, click Insert Filter.
WDM Streaming Capture Devices, VCR2PC Capture, click Insert Filter.
Directshow Filters, Video Mixing Render 9, Insert Filter.
Arrange the blocks in order. Connect VCR2PC Video Decoder Out to Analog Video In, VCR2PC Audio Decoder Out to Analog Audio in, then VCR2PC Preview to VMR Input0. Click Play.
You should see an ActiveMovie window, which may display a signal. Right-click VCR2PC Crossbar and select Filter Properties. Choose Video Composite In for Input. Click OK.
Right-click VCR2PC Capture, choose Filter Properties. Select Video Proc Amp tab. Adjust your video levels here. Click ok.

All you need to do now is be able to save. Do this by adding an avi file filter. It will capture when you hit the play button (triangle).
I crashed at this point, will have to continue later.
The avi format will be raw YUY2 (4:2:2).

The quality I get with this process is virtually the same as any other capture card; I don't see capture cards as having much difference*, or minor things that can be processed away.

*sample alignment, noise, dot-crawl processing, antialias filter, capture window, ADC characteristics (bit-depth, linearity etc.), levels

Last edited by jmac698; 12-16-2011 at 07:50 AM.
12-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Many thanks jmac698.

I downloaded GraphEdit and set it up as you suggested (I think), however the playback is pure green, the same problem you had in VirtualDub. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? My GraphEdit setup is attached.

Further questions, if you have the time;
1. The file size is huge, around 0.5GB per minute. This is normal, I suppose?
2. In the properties of the VCR2PC filter there are two checkboxes, "VCR Input" and "Output Enable", are they supposed to be checked? It doesn't seem to make any difference if checked or not.
3. In the properties of the AVI Mux filter, there is an interleaving option. Should I set it to "Full" or "Capture" or...?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graph.jpg (37.2 KB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by Kachi; 12-17-2011 at 10:39 AM.
12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Free Member

Good, you figured out Graphedit quite well, only use the Preview pin to capture, not the capture pin.
If you want to preview at the same time,use infinite tee which will duplicate the pin.
12-19-2011, 05:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
Good, you figured out Graphedit quite well, only use the Preview pin to capture, not the capture pin.
If you want to preview at the same time,use infinite tee which will duplicate the pin.
Didn't work, got an error. Check out attached...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grapherror.jpg (43.1 KB, 4 downloads)
01-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Free Member

Sorry I don't know about that error, the only thing I could suggest is using an mpeg decoder after the raw input. It appears your equipment is different than mine after all.