Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You can install Hydravision, but it won't matter -- you won't use it. (And it won't mess up anything.)
Feel free to leave it or remove it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mejnour (02-20-2012), royjones9 (02-09-2013)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Free Member

Guys:

I've just started having problems with my All-in-Wonder Radeon (7200) AGP card. I originally used Windows 2000 and upgraded to XP (and added Ubuntu) a couple of years later. I've used this thing for watching TV/cable, VHS, games, graphics, Office, Facebook, Youtube, Skype. You name it. It has worked great for all these years. Now I'm starting to have problems with things that seem to be related to flash-video, like Youtube and Skype. I'm thinking I may need to roll-back some of the software updates.

I remember the removal tool and install sequence mentioned by Lord Smurf, but it has been a while since I've needed to use them. I still have two of the old ATI setup CDs. The first CD, I originally used with Windows 2000 is labeled 180-V01036-100. The 2nd CD, I ordered when I upgraded to XP is labeled 180-G01445-100.

I should probably wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows XP, but I want to be sure I use the best setup for this card. So I'm wondering if I should use the 2nd CD or download from the files listed above. Which versions work best with this AGP AIW Radeon card and Windows XP?

Good to see you guys have kept this information alive! Thanks, -Mike
The following users thank MemphisMike for this useful post: admin (03-05-2012)
02-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You can install Hydravision, but it won't matter -- you won't use it. (And it won't mess up anything.)
Feel free to leave it or remove it.
To anybody that know this below...

When I choose personalize installation with ATI CD I get "check" under

1.WDM NSP Drivers
2.ATI control Panel
3.ATI decoder
4.Direct X
5.Catalyst Control Center (this one I know that I have to uncheck)
6.Mutimedia Center 9.X
7.AuthorsScript
8.ATI Remote Wonder ( I doubt that I will have to use the remote!?)
9.GuidePlus+

Can you give me what I don't need! I don't want install stuff that risk to create problem. This computer will be strictly dedicated to capture...

I have Windows XP pro SP2.

Thanks
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
...Can you give me what I don't need! I don't want install stuff that risk to create problem. This computer will be strictly dedicated to capture...
Mejnour: Here's what I know about 2 of them...

(7) AuthorScript -- I believe was supposed to be an easy way to burn a disc of video that you had captured to your library. Not sure if it is still useful these days.

(9) GuidePlus+ -- was a TV-Guide type of service. It worked pretty well back in the analog TV days. Not sure if that would work at all today.

I personally would not install either of these.

...hope this helps.
The following users thank MemphisMike for this useful post: admin (03-05-2012)
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMike View Post
Mejnour: Here's what I know about 2 of them...

(7) AuthorScript -- I believe was supposed to be an easy way to burn a disc of video that you had captured to your library. Not sure if it is still useful these days.

(9) GuidePlus+ -- was a TV-Guide type of service. It worked pretty well back in the analog TV days. Not sure if that would work at all today.

I personally would not install either of these.

...hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Mike!

I guess I can remove those one from my list. I am doing of lot of computer stuff recently on parallel projects and got headhaches with hardware, I don't wanna have some more by installing unwanted drivers...
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Free Member

Bump!

The pros seem busy!
03-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yep, bit of a delay in answering some posts.

Also, thanks for your posts, MemphisMike.

Install:
1. WDM drivers
2. ATI control panel
5. Catalyst Control Center
6. Mutimedia Center 9

Don't Install:
3. ATI decoder
4. DirectX
7. AuthorsScript
8. ATI Remote Wonder ( I doubt that I will have to use the remote!?)
9. GuidePlus+

Going off memory, ATI decoder is for the DVD player software -- unnecessary.
GuidePlus useless in post-analog era.
Remote Wonder doesn't matter if not using a remote, which most VHS>digital users will not.
AuthorScript is for something -- I forget, not important
DirectX is likely already at version 9 or better on a Windows XP SP1-SP2 computer anyway. So this is redundant.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: Mejnour (03-05-2012)
03-05-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisMike View Post
All-in-Wonder Radeon (7200) AGP card. ...
So I'm wondering if I should use the 2nd CD or download from the files listed above. Which versions work best with this AGP AIW Radeon card and Windows XP?
Use the files -- specifically the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/etc "in order" 6168 drivers.
The first post is 7200-8500 cards. The latter CD ISO images are for the various 9000 series cards.

03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Free Member

Hi Again,

ATI MULTIMEDIA CENTER contains many functions, wich one I need to install (check)

1-CD AUDIO
2-GALLERY
3-TV
4-VIDEO CD
5-LAUNCH PAD
6-FILE PLAYER
7-MEDIA LIBRARY
8-DVD
9-FM RADIO
10-EASYSHARE
03-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Install:
3-TV

Don't Install:
1-CD AUDIO
2-GALLERY
4-VIDEO CD
5-LAUNCH PAD
6-FILE PLAYER
7-MEDIA LIBRARY
8-DVD
10-EASYSHARE

Optional:
9-FM RADIO

I leave the radio because I'll sometimes listen to NPR or the classical music station while doing non-capture work on the computer.
It's a nifty extra feature, if the card has the hardware for it.

03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Free Member

thanks I am going to install it right now...don't go too far
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
don't go too far
Thanks to the upgrades made to the servers and site in December, we never are.

We see posts almost immediately. Though sometimes it takes a few days to get around to answering.
And then prioritized between Free and Premium, of course.
Some of us even have phone alerts!

03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Free Member

Okay Huffy codecs are in

Looking at capturing guides...

Do you suggest VirtualDub or ATI AIW dock to capture with the X800XT?

Thanks
03-08-2012, 10:05 PM

- VirtualDub for AVI.
- ATI MMC for MPEG-2.

Guides are listed here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/video.htm

03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Well, I just got done doing battle with ATI AIW drivers, I haven't done this in at least 8 years now.

Anyway, here is the deal. The drivers that come built into Windows XP for the AIW 9600XT actually work fine for capture in VirtualDub surprisingly enough. As for the latest drivers on AMD's site, they seem to work too, just not with MMC 8.8 (you can view, but not capture). They seem to allow direct audio capture from the Theater 200 chip as opposed to the soundcard loop-through in VirtualDub, which could be handy and possibly avoid audio sync issues. The capture portion appears to Windows completely differently with the Catalyst 10.4 drivers... only one device called "T200 Streamer" vs. the half dozen devices of the older driver. I think the later PCIe cards use the same drivers and capture without the sound card loop back.

Right now I'm running the drivers off of the MMC 8.8 CD that was posted here. It seems to be working well, no complaints. I'll play with the newer drivers again tomorrow and report back. What version of MMC dropped VideoSoap? I might try a newer version and see if they behave with the newer AIW drivers.
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
They seem to allow direct audio capture from the Theater 200 chip as opposed to the soundcard loop-through
The Theatre 200 chipset, as far as I'm aware, doesn't encode audio. There's also the underlying issue of actually getting the audio signal into it, which I don't think happens. The analog audio input is immediately routed to an audio card when input to the computer via the breakout box (purple/domino ATI input wire). Audio never passes into or through the Theatre chipsets.

Are you sure the audio isn't just wired internally?
Refer to this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html

03-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

The audio isn't wired internally, as I just built this machine. I don't think the AIW 9600XT even has the internal audio header like my original AIW had (edit: yes it does, I missed that). I was surprised to see the "Capture Device" audio input option in VirtualDub when using the newer "T200 Unified Streamer" driver. I might have time to play with it tomorrow, I'm certainly curious if the Theater 200 could do audio. In the end, I will likely be bypassing the AIW loop-thru as I think my audio output cable has a flaky plug... that or the SB Live I picked out of a Dell I have sitting here has a troublesome input jack. Hopefully I don't run into audio sync issues with this rig... I'll be pretty ticked off. At least it doesn't drop any frames... even when capturing to the old tech 120GB PATA hard drive thats in the machine now using HuffYUV.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-01-2012)
04-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

For some ATI AIW card, externally wired loopback is the only option -- an internal wiring isn't available. You may need to test this, too, and don't just assume the audio works because VirtualDub reports it as available. VirtualDub (and lots of other capturing programs) can be wrong. I've seen ATI cards that refuse to work in VirtualDub at all, but it's a confused computer -- not actually the fault of VirtualDub. It's the drivers reporting bad information, or the OS.

Even if it does audio, it may be limited to coax input, for the intended analog TV reception. It may not work on composite or s-video.

Definitely test it, and report back. I know I'm curious.

09-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Added by request: ATI MMC 9.10

To my knowledge, this is the last ATI MMC compatible with the AGP Radeon cards. Latter 9.1.x were for the PCI-E cards.
Downloads for ATI MMC 9.14 and 9.16 are on page 3 of this thread, in post #48.

Again, as per earlier posts, ATI MMC 8.7, 8.8 and 9.02 are the most suggested ATI MMC versions, for most PCI and AGP cards.
For the PCI-E cards, use ATI MMC 9.16.
This version is being added purely due to requests for testing purposes.

Attached Files
File Type: rar ATI-MMC-9.1.0.rar (26.43 MB, 125 downloads)

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Free Member

Hi! Great thread here, spent two days googling for something with information like this >_<

I have come upon an ATI AIW 9700 Pro 128M card. I tried installing it on my own (lol...) and it seems the card works, but it is having some issues. After reading a lot of information over the past couple days, half of which I got here in the last hour, I have a few questions:

The card is 9700 Pro, and I saw a list you had earlier in the thread that this is a PAL card, I want to make sure this will not cause a conflict for me 'out of the box'.

Second, I have none of the wires for this as you have described, I have only the card itself, and again I want to make sure this will not cause a conflict for me 'out of the box'.

Third, When I installed, I went to support.amd.com I believe, and used their auto detector to configure, which it told me to use catalyst 10.2 blah blah I installed it, then I noticed I had 'sketchy' graphics when I moved a window around etc. then I noticed I still had an unknown device in device manager. I dl'ed the wdm drivers 10.2 after that, and it seemed to fix the problem. Only 10-15 minutes later (give or take) the screen started freezing, and then appeared to reset, as it turned black for a second, and then came back and seemed fine until it repeated 30-45 seconds later. It did this a few times and rebooted itself. At this point I uninstalled it and re-installed my radeon 9550se and went back to google. And now I am here. And if you haven't laughed your arse out of your seat by now, maybe you can help inform me on my 10 year old card!

I will start by dl'ing the 180 iso you have for it, and seeing if there is a manual! I can't believe after 2 days I cant even find a manual online for this thing... it's like ATI/AMD made it so this thing never existed...

PS: I have P4 2.26Ghz on a MS-6788 board w/ 865pe chipset with 1.5GB pc3200 and the card is AGP on WinXP SP3

Last edited by Dravial; 09-21-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: cpu info...