Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

1st off, let me apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. But I have literally just signed after viewing the latest threads in the section and didn't find what I was looking for.

2ndly, I'm new to video restoration and I'm finding a solid workstation to be a bit of a struggle. I purchased a capture card from BlackMagicDesign and with a small amount of tapes, it doesn't drop any frames. But with about 95% of tapes, which are generally in poor condition.

After reading a few articles, it seems that the fix to my problem, (according to people I've discussed with but don't know their background) would be a pro deck in conjunction with a TBC.

What I'm asking I guess is what would your ultimate setup be? Or maybe what your setup be if you had about a $500 budget? All I want to do is take old tapes that are in reasonable condition, maybe do a little colour correction (I have Adobe Production Premium CS5) and then spit it out to a DVD.

Just for kicks a friend of mine lent me his "Dazzle" capture device (rca to usb) but it's not recognized in Premiere. I downloaded a trial version of the software that it was made for. On one side, it didn't drop a single frame which blew my mind (cuz I just spent over $200 on my BMD) but the quality was not very good - any opinions on that..?

Thanx in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Free Member

Intel core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Quad-Core
12 Gb Ram
5 HD's (2 RAID 0 + System Drive)
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Windows 7 64 bit
All drivers up to date

Adobe Production Premium CS5
all the latest updates are installed

BlackMagicDesign Intensity Pro
installed latest update
card stopped working
had to un-install then re-install
card works but drops many frames per second
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Dropped frames are generally an issue with loss of 100% frame sync, which is fixed by a full-frame external TBC.

Be sure to read these:
- How to Prevent Dropped Frames and Audio Sync Problems
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Another big issue is using Adobe Premiere to capture. It's a resource hog, and can itself cause dropped frames.
Yes, even with 12GB RAM, RAID drives, and quad-core CPU! It's also about the quality of the software's coding, not just the hardware specs.

I've yet to use this card. Can another tool be used for capture? (Perhaps VirtualDub or VirtualVCR?)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: fnub (02-20-2012)
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Free Member

Checked the 1st link. It says page not found. Then it says you break it you buy it. It said I gotta make a $5 or $10 donation - WHAT the...
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Try again -- it was a bad copy/paste of the link. (And you saw our humorous 404 / bad link page. )

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: fnub (02-20-2012)
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Try again -- it was a bad copy/paste of the link. (And you saw our humorous 404 / bad link page. )
ha ha ok good one...

Tags
"dropped frames", blackmagicdesign, bmd, capture, vhs