03-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Free Member

Hi all

New to this site and the process of doing good quality conversions of vhs tapes to dvd.
I am trying to build a reasonable setup on a budget and so wanted some advice on a listing i saw on ebay.
So far i have a pentium 4 pc 3,2ghz with 2gb ram and agp slot. I was looking at getting a capture card and wondered weather the price charged for this well known card is reasonable. Ill also be paying $30 dollars postage on top of this , to get it to CT, South Africa.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200619817909...ht_2592wt_1130

I am based in south africa which uses the pal video system , so i assume i can only get a card that is pal based , although i am not entirely sure if that applies if my only purpose for the card is to convert old vhs tapes recorded in pal system.

Sorry one last question . I currently have a pretty simple entry level lg vcr , that i have hooked up to a pinnacle video capture unit , no need for computer, goes straight to flash drive. Was just wondering what quality difference would be like on the setup im building above , as the copies done on the pinnacle video capture unit didn't come out great , everything looked a bit wavy.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by pete; 03-02-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: rephrase question
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Free Member

I also wanted to know what a reasonable price to bid on this would be ,relative to common conditions in the market as i have seen it mentioned before in threads as a good performer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-ATI-Tv-Wo...56d7e1eb4#shId
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

A good non-NLE capture card is generally priced in the $50 to $150 range. The exact price depends on condition, specific model, abilities of the card, etc. There's quite a few variables. The ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon cards were originally around $300 each, and now sell for $50 to $100. Again, exact price depends on condition, completeness (all accessories included), specific model, etc.

There is no such thing as a PAL-only or NTSC-only ATI AIW capture card. All ATI AIW cards capture both PAL and NTSC, as well as SECAM, and pretty much every sub-variation thereof, through the composite and s-video inputs. Only the now-useless TV tuner was PAL or NTSC. In the post-analog DTV era, the tuner is obsolete, unless you're trying to record a low-power local channel or your cable company still uses analog signals. Almost everything worldwide is now digital signals (DVB, DTV).

$38 + shipping for an ATI AIW 9600 is excellent. Buy It Now, don't bid. The card is honestly worth double that ($75+).

The ATI 600 USB card is worth at least $50, and routinely sells for up to $75 used. It was $100 new. Bid accordingly.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Free Member

thanks , bought the ati aiw card . Appreciate the advice thank you

Tags
capture card