Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Free Member

Problem using installed software. when i try to run the tv wizard my p4 running xp with 3gig ram locks up and shuts off. I do not have on board video it requires a agp or pci card for video. I just bought this card to be able to record our home movies and burn them to dvd. Plus i wish to watch Netflix on the 65 inch big screen. Do you have any suggestions.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Which software are you trying to install?
Be sure to only use ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC). Refer to this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

To watch Netflix on the big HDTV, I'd suggest using a Blu-ray player with a Netflix app. The Samsung BD-D5700 is excellent and low-cost.
It's currently $115 + free shipping + no tax from Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004N85YB0
At this point in time, you don't want to watch Netflix streaming on a HDTV via a non-HD card.
Great capture card for recording videos, but not really ideal for computer output to watch on a big-screen TV with modern apps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Free Member

i am trying to install ati catalyst software cd# 180-v01060-100 but when i try to run tv wizard my pc shuts off and restarts runs fine after restart until i try to run software. My 65inch is a older model projection with no apps or not even hd. cable personnel could not bring cable to my television's location due the brain dead people at the cable company. I have internet from them, and i know it does not make sense. so this is my cheapest route but may not be feasible. wireless router cannot go threw the fire break in the ceiling oh did i tell ya they placed my wired router in the basement Morons. lol

Last edited by pbd2012; 03-21-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: forgot to place cd number
03-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

The computer reset issue is likely separate from the ATI card. Verify that the heat sink (with thermal paste!) is properly secured to the CPU. What you describe is a common problem with overheating.

Bad RAM can also be to blame.

XP SP3 is also not good. Use non-SP (original release of XP), SP1 or SP2 -- SP2 is suggested. SP3 is sometimes responsible for bad reboots.
__

I meant that the Blu-ray player would have apps -- not the TV. I'm assuming you have a widescreen 65" TV. There's really no way to use an ATI AIW card to stream video in 16x9. It will only output 4x3 as far as I know. Therefore you'd have to "zoom" on the SD quality image with the TV, or watch as a postage stamp (black bars both on top/bottom and left/right). Again, great capture card, but from a different era -- the era before streaming video (Netflix, MLB, Hulu, etc).

If your TV is an old-fashioned 4x3 (not widescreen) picture, then the ATI AIW will be fine. A lot of your video will be matted to widescreen (black bars on top/bottom), or cropped, however. I don't recall all the math off-hand, but matted widescreen from 65" 4x3 is about 47" 16x9 image.
__

Strong wifi signals should be able to pass through most residential structures, including concrete and wood. The problem may actually be with the router, or the communication type (wireless B instead of G or N). Remember that it's just radio waves.

03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Free Member

is there a better card that i could purchase to do the job i want it to do my tv is a rca 65 inch full screen projection tv. That I have worked on many times i got it just before i became disabled. I could always sell the current card and purchase something that will run on xp sp3, or vitsa, or windows 7, all are 32 bit os, i have 2 toshiba laptops, 2 compaq laptops, and the p4 tower with xp sp3. I really want to burn our families home vcr movies to dvd.
Now you say it is a pc issue but the pc does not shut off any other time using any other software app. Many people have problems with thier pc shutting off while watching netflix but mine does not which leads me to think that it is a software issue. Please feel free to correct me if I am not right. watching Streaming video would shut off pc if I had bad ram or the cpu was over heating right? I bought this card a week ago new online. I had no idea it was outdated.
04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

The ATI card likely strains the system harder than streaming Netflix does (most of which can be GPU intensive, not CPU intensive), so there's still a chance that the RAM or CPU is faulty on the computer.

There's not really a "better" card, no.
You could also try the ATI 600 USB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00138EOH8
Be sure it's complete (main "stick" + composite/s-video input wires; the antenna and remote are unnecessary for converting tapes).
The "600 USB" is almost as good as the older ATI AIW Radeon series cards.