Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Free Member

Okay need some input.

I've read more on how its better to have an XP box with an AGP slot to do all the S/VHS capturing...seeing as how finding the 478 Socket motherboards are difficult, let alone the P4 processor, I can easily build a simple box for that purpose, but I would need to know what the best ATI card would be to use for the uncompressed capture. I read alot of the ATI models on the sticky thread, but I would need to find one that I can still find available. I can find the 478 refurbished boards on Newegg and the P4 processor for $16 but of course I would have to get a case, and all the related stuff to a computer build. I do have some spare parts from a former P4 build that I had.

Or, I have a laptop that a friend is giving to me soon which is an older one (ThinkPad T61) and could possibly use the ATi 600USB with it for all my captures, and yes it has XP already installed on it so that's covered. Would I be able to do effective captures with the laptop or would it be better to use a desktop for this purpose. If I could use the laptop, then I could setup a smaller table with just that and all of the SVHS decks in its own capture station to take care of all the analog captures, while the i7 workstation (once built) will take care of the HD and newer stuff, and audio needs.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
While the laptop method can work, the desktop version is far, far superior. The bigger issue with laptops is drive speed, overheating, and you'll need an external monitor to preview/correct (laptop screens are universally crappy). The desktop can run cooler, has faster drives, and will have a better monitor (even the cheap ones).

Keep your eye on some weekend postings in the Marketplace subforum of this forum -- some stuff is going to be listed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Free Member

you can use an AMD
i just recently saw some nice socket AM2 boards with 8x AGP slots
new on ebay for $28
with socket AM2 you can run a dual or even quad athlon or phenom - far faster than a crappy old P4
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
While the laptop method can work, the desktop version is far, far superior. The bigger issue with laptops is drive speed, overheating, and you'll need an external monitor to preview/correct (laptop screens are universally crappy). The desktop can run cooler, has faster drives, and will have a better monitor (even the cheap ones).

Keep your eye on some weekend postings in the Marketplace subforum of this forum -- some stuff is going to be listed.
Thanks, i'll keep an eye in the Marketplace section....looks like then I may have to build a small desktop. I still have a 18 in CRT monitor that's sitting idle so may be a good way to put it back to use. With the exception of HD based capturing, would it be a good idea to use the XP box for all analog capturing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
you can use an AMD
i just recently saw some nice socket AM2 boards with 8x AGP slots
new on ebay for $28
with socket AM2 you can run a dual or even quad athlon or phenom - far faster than a crappy old P4
Have never used AMD in my past builds since they were all Intel based but since I had built my recent unRAID server with an AMD-based system (and works well), then I suppose it would be good to build a simple cheap desktop that will serve as the capture box.

Now need to check on one of the recommended ATI cards for capture.

-- merged --

Okay, I have a short list of the main components to build the XP box. I plan to go with:

ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz 512KB L2 cache AM2 Processor

ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA Socket AM2+ Motherboard w/ AGP 8x, nForce3 250, SATA RAID

RAM and other minor stuff I can easily figure out, I just want to see if this would make the ideal box....if so then I will go ahead and spring for these parts.
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Free Member

i think that is the same board i saw.
unless the 3200+ is free or something i would go with a dual-core
ive had a 6000+ (3.0ghz dual) - it is a pretty good cpu