Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Free Member

Hey guys, I got a JVC SR V101US, its about 5 years ago, got it as a Demo item from B&H back in 2007. I even have the original box, packing materials, manual, and the remote for the machine still. First, the machine would refuse to play tapes in Hi Fi, only playing them in Normal mode, but now, the machine is out of alignment and the picture is full of grain and snow. Everything else works on it, rewind, fastfoward, etc. Should I get this unit fixed or just give up on it?

The machine always had some sort of problems with the Hi Fi audio, and I always heard some sort of hissing sound when playing tapes versus other machines I've had, but it was one of the better machines as it doesn't have the infamous JVC white streak problem. Also, the build quality of this machine is pretty poor with just a plastic box as housing. The mechanism is similar to the HR S29xx series of machines.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpass992 View Post
Should I get this unit fixed or just give up on it?
Fix it.

Quote:
the infamous JVC white streak problem.
I've been a JVC user for about 15 years now, owned dozens of models, and have no idea what you're referring to.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Free Member

if you decide not to fix it i would be interested in buying it for parts.

yes - the build quality is nowhere as good as the older ones
they are basically flimsy plastic pieces of s**t with a great TBC
06-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Free Member

The JVC white streak problem is little white comets that streak across the picture in either VHS or Super VHS mode. They started from the HR S4900U/6900U models. The streaks are in random places across the picture. Sometimes they stay in the same place, sometimes they move. This is due to a static discharge in the drum brush. Even some of the later machines, AKA HR S7500U, and HR S9400U have it. Believe it or not, even my supposedly "new" HR S8000U had the streaks. If I decide not to fix this deck, can anyone recommend any machines that are better? This is just me, but I think that most machines after the 4900U/6900U/5100U/7100U JVC models had inferior build quality. Again, its just from the looks of them.
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Free Member

see Lordsmurfs list for the best VCR's
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

the HR-S9600U is probably the best of the bunch - it is the last of the Japan-built units
06-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Free Member

I've checked the list over, and since I'll be converting over people's tapes, my question is, how many machines would you say are necessary to have if your converting over others tapes? I know the JVC 7000 and 9000 series are in high regard, as well as the Panasonic AG 1980. I mean my SR V101US was a good machine, but I need something with a rugged mechanism, as that was really a flimsly unit in my opinion.
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Free Member

you are probably going to need at least an AG-1980 and a good JVC

unfortunately rugged VCR's with good TBC's are few and far between the JVC's (even the 9600) have less than stellar build quality - but they have the TBC the old tanks do not.

the AG-1980 has a very good transport, but is plagued with bad caps.
also many AG-1980's have a ton of use and where used by non-video people that didnt take care of them.
ive seen alot of them come from schools - mainly the sports programs
so try to find a unit that is low hours or has recently been serviced
06-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
but is plagued with bad caps
Understatement of the year.

We recently had two decks services by Jots. One had 70+ caps replaced. The other has had 100 caps replaced, and still counting -- the unit is still exhibiting playback issues.

Yet not having these units on hand feels like we're operating with a handicap. There's just no alternative the the Panasonic AG-1980P S-VHS VCR in certain situations. Even for hobby use, you'll want to budget a couple of thousand dollars. For professional use, you're easily looking at $10k get all the right hardware into place, and that's with a minimalist configuration as two racks.

So many people underestimate the equipment needed, and costs involved. I've not yet added up the entire recent repair bill, but I'd imagine it starting to reflect $500 altogether just for repairs and maintenance on a few units. And it's not something you can do at home.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Free Member

what type cap does Jots use to replace the bad one?
i was wondering if the s****y electrolytic caps could be replaced with modern Japanese solid caps?
06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
Understatement of the year.

We recently had two decks services by Jots. One had 70+ caps replaced. The other has had 100 caps replaced, and still counting -- the unit is still exhibiting playback issues.
Hopefully they were replaced with higher quality caps (higher temperature rating, etc.)! Solid or Tantalum caps would be better replacements too if they are available. Asking around I was able to find out that Panasonic's weak point is underspec caps on the "Hybrid I/C" boards of their VCRs starting around 1988 until the present.

The JVC "white streak" problem in their earlier VCRs is likely due to the fact that the drum isn't properly grounded to prevent static build up. Later VCRs have a small ground strip that runs from the center of the drum spindle to prevent static build up. Sony Betamax VCRs have the same issue and can be modified to add the grounding strip to fix the problem.

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vc...tml#VCRFAQ_016
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_vc...tml#VCRFAQ_023
06-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I'll ask next time I speak with them.
I trust that it'll be a quality method -- they're not prone to taking shortcuts or cheaping out on anything.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Free Member

Believe it or not, the HR S6900U has that "ground strip" on the video drum. It's just that the static brush gets worn out, causing the white streaks to fire across the screen. Has anyone here used the 6900U at all?

For quite some time, I've been considering the AG 1980. The machine seems to be more ruggedly built than the last few JVC's. How would you compare the JVC SR V101US against the Panasonic AG 1980? Are those units more problematic than the SR V101US? I had a junk AG 1970 for a few weeks back in '09 but the head was shot and the connector to the FDP was busted so it went to the trash. Also, is it feasible or even possible to be able to repair these machines by oneself instead of having to ship them out for repair? Also, I'm looking for a better capture card and found the ADVC110. Is that any good? How does it stack up against other cards?
06-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Both play tapes fine. The JVC SR-V10U does better on non-SLP/EP mode tapes, while the AG-1980 is better at the longer-play tapes. It's that easy.

It's really not feasible to repair either unit without sending it out -- unless you have the tools and experience to repair VCRs.

The Canopus ADVC-110 (aka ADVC-100) is just a DV converter. Nothing special. Lossless capturing is better. DV capturing is about the same as capturing high bitrate MPEG-2.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs