digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Canopus ADVC110 troubles, dropped frames (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4284-canopus-advc110-troubles.html)

Jpass992 06-19-2012 10:03 AM

Canopus ADVC110 troubles, dropped frames

Hey everyone! Just received my ADVC110 in the mail, brand new, and I got it hooked up to my Dell Dimension XPS Gen 1 via firewire. I'm trying to import video through Roxio Media import, but I can't get the device to recognize the analog inputs. I got it to work with the firewire input with my JVC GR D870US mini DV camcorder.

Right now I have my JVC HM DH30000U connected to the analog inputs in the front via S Video and analog audio.

Roxio Media Capture recognizes it as a "AVC Compliant DV Device" and when I try to get it to recognize the analog outputs, it comes up with "Failed to setup system component for showing picture or sound." The details say
Template manager returned an error
Failed to detect with capture qualities are available for this device
Failed to detect which capture qualities are available for this device.

I have all of the dip switches set right and have the input select on analog. Also, sometimes, both the Digital in and the Analog in are lit up on the device. What does this mean? What am I doing wrong here. I tried it on another computer, and the same problem happened. Trying to see if I have a defective product here. Any help will be greatly appreciative!!!

lordsmurf 06-19-2012 11:34 AM

- Roxio is lousy at everything.
- Use WinDV for recording DV footage -- search the forum for the download.
- Scenalyzer is another option; again, search the forum for that one.

That should do it. :)

Jpass992 06-20-2012 08:25 AM

Lordsmurf, I tried what you said with the WinDV and it worked! However, now I've run into another problem. While capturing a tape into the computer, I'm getting alot of dropped frames. Could it be because of the hard drive (It does show low disk space), or could it be the ADVC110 or the captoturing program?

Also, I've been noticing when I play tapes back through the JVC HM DH30000U (aka 9911U), I notice the picture can get pretty jumpy, even with the 3DNR on. Is there any machines that don't have the head switching noise at the bottom of the image?

volksjager 06-20-2012 10:48 AM

the HM-DH30000U is NOT a 9911U
they may look similar, but the 30000 is a crappy D-VHS and the 9911 is a very good S-VHS
ive had both of those model
it you want a good D-vhs get a HM-DH40000U

lordsmurf 06-20-2012 11:58 AM

Low disk space also infers heavy fragmentation.

You really do want to capture to a dedicated capture hard drive (not the same drive where the OS is loaded), and make sure the drive is defragmented between uses. Note that I don't really approve of defragging a drive while it has large video files on it, as I've seen the files get corrupted by the defrag utilities in the past.

The built-in Windows defrag tool is awful. Diskeeper and Raxco PerfectDisk are much better.

Raxco gives out coupons from time to time. FD40OFF just expired on Monday. We'll probably get a new one emailed to us at the next promotion. Vendors love sending us their sales, ads and coupons. (Edit: Our auto links to Diskeeper and PerfectDisk are not working. Hmm.... must fix that.)

I know several people that have been happy with their HM-DH30000U units -- seasoned users, too. But the 40000 is also regarded as better. The 30000 is D-VHS, while the 9911 is an entirely different S-VHS VCR.