Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Free Member

Hello all,

I am trying to capture VHS tapes via Virtualdub to avi, via HuffyUV.

System:

Windows 7 64 Ultimate - clean install, all known uneeded processes stopped
AMD X4 9650
8G memory
500G 5200rpm system drive
2T 7200rpm capture data drive
ATI 600 USB stick
AG-1980P
TBC-1000

Test video sources:
1. Video from HVS deck
2. colorbar test pattern from TBC

Problem statement:

When using audio preview in Virtualdub, frames are dropped. Would very much like to be able to audio preview during capture

Acceptable solutions:

1. New Virtualdub setting to try
2. Other driver/general Windows settings to try
3. Other capture software capable of capturingto AVI with the ATI device.

Not acceptable solutons:

1. Use Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
When using audio preview in Virtualdub, frames are dropped. Would very much like to be able to audio preview during capture
This is usually not an option.

The only time you can preview audio, while using VirtualDub, is when audio is routed into a sound card, and the card is fancy enough to have multicast-type features. The ATI All In Wonder card in use on my primary Windows XP capture system use a Turtle Beach card. While audio is muted in VirtualDub (line input effectively muted), the audio processor on the card still passes out to the speakers. So I can hear the audio, even while the preview is muted.

The only alternative I can think of here is to split the audio before it hits the capture card. Route one into the audio card input, and route the other into the ATI 600 connections. I do this, too, with a Tevion card setup. My "splitter" is a Behringer mixer board. A also have a DataVideo VP-299 distribution amp, and then anybody with a TBC-1000 from B&H has that same ability (since the TBC-1000 is a TBC-100 married to a VP-299).

So we can do what you want -- to hear audio while capturing -- just maybe not with a method you'd yet considered.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is usually not an option.

The only time you can preview audio, while using VirtualDub, is when audio is routed into a sound card, and the card is fancy enough to have multicast-type features. The ATI All In Wonder card in use on my primary Windows XP capture system use a Turtle Beach card. While audio is muted in VirtualDub (line input effectively muted), the audio processor on the card still passes out to the speakers. So I can hear the audio, even while the preview is muted.

The only alternative I can think of here is to split the audio before it hits the capture card. Route one into the audio card input, and route the other into the ATI 600 connections. I do this, too, with a Tevion card setup. My "splitter" is a Behringer mixer board. A also have a DataVideo VP-299 distribution amp, and then anybody with a TBC-1000 from B&H has that same ability (since the TBC-1000 is a TBC-100 married to a VP-299).

So we can do what you want -- to hear audio while capturing -- just maybe not with a method you'd yet considered.
Thanks LordSmurf.

I do have an external amp I could split the signal into and thus "hear" it. This was a poor option with my old Hauppage board as there was a noticeable video delay (presumeably so it could fill MPEG compression buffers), but may work here.

Alternately, are yo aware of any other AVI capturing programs for use with the 600USB?

Thanks again.
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Free Member

bump bump bump
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Free Member

Multimedia Center doesn't work for you?
Dscaler?
iuVCR?
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The ATI 600 card uses ATI CMC (Catalyst Media Center), not ATI MMC (Multimedia Center). And CMC lacks AVI capturing like MMC had.
VirtualDub is the only real option.
You cannot preview audio in iuVCR or Dscaler very well (or at all) either. And it'll also drop frames.

The aforementioned splitter is the best solution for this specific scenario.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.