digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Some help chosing between two S-VHS(C) camera models? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4362-chosing-between-two.html)

Kereellis 07-13-2012 01:48 PM

Some help chosing between two S-VHS(C) camera models?

Hello again. I've been looking around for a good playback camera for transferring some old S-VHS-C tapes, and right now I have the choice between two models:

The JVC S-VHS GR-SX1 and the GR-SX90. Both are supposedly only incidentally used and about the same price. Judging from the model numbers I'd say the latter is more recent, and if that means these are anything like the jvc S-VHS recorders, more likely to give better results. Judging from the pictures the GR-SX90 is also the model that I once filmed these tapes with, so from the surface this seems like the safest choice. However I literally can't find a single source that can provide me with any relevant information about these models that can help me decide, so I thought it would be best to turn to this forum for some expert feedback before i do so.

As always I'd be very thankful for your advice.

Is there anything known about these models? I suppose both are fine choices though.

____

Edit: Correction, the GR-SX90 turns out to be an GR-SX9. Rather sloppy mistake from the seller, but then again, I already had my reasons to reconsider buying from him. I think I'll have to settle for the GR-SX1 for these reasons.

volksjager 07-14-2012 06:15 PM

i wouldnt use a camcorder for VHS-C or S-VHS-C
get a good Panasonic AG-1980 and the JVC VHS-C adapter
the AG-1970 is also supposedly good with the compact tapes and tends to be cheaper than the AG-1980.

NJRoadfan 07-15-2012 01:51 AM

The later JVC units from the early 00s are what you want. They should be the GR-SXM200 and GR-SXM300 series (might be a few SXM400/500 series out there, never really checked) models, along with the final SVHS-C camcorder ever released, the GR-SXM37. All of these models have a TBC function, and chroma noise reduction circuit. Not quite the level of Digipure found on the full SVHS/DVHS decks, but better then nothing. They usually can be found on ebay for less then $50 with light use. I have a GR-SXM260 here for SVHS-C use when the tapes don't cooperate in the adapter. Keep in mind that they only support linear track audio playback, not Hi-Fi stereo, but it looks like that won't be an issue with your tapes.

JVC did release a few high end SVHS-C camcorders with Hi-Fi stereo audio recording in the 1990s (the GR-SZx series), but few people bought them compared to Sony's Hi-8 camcorders.

Kereellis 07-15-2012 02:29 AM

I have a good working HR-S9600, but I'm anxious about using tape adapters, since they are said to increase the likelihood of eating tapes. The Panasonic may have better mechanics, but I should mention it's only for four tapes, and I'm afraid these classic models (as far as I could track one down) would cost me a bit more than the cameras I've found so far.

I'll keep an eye out for the newer models mentioned. Are these all PAL cameras though?

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that the only adapters I've been able to track down are third party (HQ) ones, no official ones from JVC so far. No sign of any the mentioned SXM-series cameras either :(

volksjager 07-15-2012 08:27 AM

DO NOT USE ANY ADAPTER OTHER THAN THE JVC!!!!
DO NOT PUT COMPACT TAPES IN A JVC DECK!!!

use only the JVC adapter in a Panasonic deck - this is a proven good combo
the AG-1980 will do a better job on the tapes than any cam.

JVC decks eat compact tapes
the Panny decks play them good

on my personal compact tapes i went a step further and disassembled them and transferred the tape inside into full size VHS shells - now i can play them in my JVC decks too.

Kereellis 07-15-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks for the warning, I kind of figured that would be the case (in spite of how one would logically assume the JVC holder to work best in a JVC machine). Too bad I can't even find the JVC tape adapter for the time being though.

I'll go with the cheaper GR-SX1 solution for now, just so I can check if these tapes are worth more investments and patience, and simply because it's the only sound option I'm able to go with right now that I have the time. In any case, I'll make sure to keep this thread bookmarked for later reference.

volksjager 07-15-2012 12:17 PM

just keep an eye on ebay
there are no genuine JVC's at this second
but several recently sold and i imagine more will get listed

lordsmurf 07-19-2012 02:39 AM

Only use the JVC S-VHS-C/VHS-C adapters.
Only stick them into Panasonic S-VHS VCRs, and the 1980P is known to be safe. If PAL, then one of the 1980-comparable PAL models.

Anything else is a risk. I've lost several tapes though the years. :mad:

VHS-C (and S-VHS-C) are really flimsy and crappy -- more so than VHS tapes were. I wish I'd have used Hi8 instead.

I have a pair of GR-SXM920 cameras, with the CP7U adapters. Video quality was good -- just the format/tapes that sucked.

Kereellis 07-19-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 21843)
VHS-C (and S-VHS-C) are really flimsy and crappy -- more so than VHS tapes were. I wish I'd have used Hi8 instead.

I have a pair of GR-SXM920 cameras, with the CP7U adapters. Video quality was good -- just the format/tapes that sucked.

Could this serve as a explanation as to why the originals I've watched so far tend to have more damage/noise in the tape than the vhs copies I made? There specifically tends to be a bar of noise toward the bottom. I could post a screen of that later.

Because I've found some before uncopied material among my S-VHS-C collection, I'd also be interested in a better playback camera (I expect the high-end Panasonic vcr's to be too hard to track down, especially if there's a difference between the NTSC and PAL models), but so far no luck with finding sellers of the PAL models of the GR-SXM series. Just to make sure, there were indeed models of this series released in Europe, weren't there?

lordsmurf 07-19-2012 03:36 AM

- I don't know much about JVC S-VHS-C cameras in PAL. I wasn't doing much with PAL back in 1999-2000.
- S-VHS-C tapes don't appear to age well, and they get ruined with every play. It's like VHS flaws on steroids.
- The suggested VCR list shows all the PAL Panasonic models (I think). If not, I need to add them sometime. I have a list. It's actually quite long.