07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

I'm finally getting some time to fine-tune my Capture settings in MMC,(pre-sets) on XP Capture computer,MMC 8.x,AIW 9600XT,Pentium 2.60 GHz,with separate "recording" drive. Pre-Set to MPEG2-DVD 4.0 MB/s Target Setting looks as good as the original tape.Then I tried 4.8 MB/s and that looked good too,(VBR) Because my Steam Engine footage has a lot of detail and some fast action. Then on file playback I used the Zoom feature on MMC video player,and the Macro-blocking in both cases looked a lot less, than my first attempt did 1 year ago!! My goal is to preserve as much detail as possible,and still have to test capture w/o AVTOOLBOX to see if it is softening the original video or not. I have been reading and re-reading your Capture guides for a few years now and I think It's finally sinking in!! So how much is too much for 352x480 ?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Not sure I understand the post-ending question.
352x480 is inadequate to capture full detail from Hi8, S-VHS, or DV. (Only listing typical consumer formats here.)
It's perfect for Video8 (8mm), VHS, and SD analog broadcasts.

Increasing bitrates suppresses macroblock edge artifact noise. Correct.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-20-2012)
07-24-2012, 02:17 AM
Premium Member

It,s VHS tape capture,played in a Mitsubishi HS-HD200U,TBC ON of course

-- merged --

So even though more MB/s Bitrate setting makes a larger file,It's still smaller than AVI,So Dare I go any Higher than 5000 MB/s for VHS 352x480 capture setting in ATI MMC Presets???
07-25-2012, 01:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You should go higher than 5Mbps just to see for yourself.

But if you want my notes...

There is a point of diminishing returns with MPEG bitrates. It's based on several variables, weighted heavily by the source format (and its inherent flaws) and the content itself. For a 352x480 video, coming from standard consumer sources, assuming non-specialty content, you'll gain minimal benefits by increasing bitrate.

The sources that benefit most from higher bitrates are sources and content with higher motion, complex images, and finite details. At 352x480, or from VHS/TV sources, there's not much fine detail. Complex images are out, unless it's some sort of teaching video with diagrams, crowd shots at sports events, or high art with tons of nuanced colors. Fast motion can be movies, but is often sports. The most common "fast motion" is camera shake on home movies.

Wrestling is easily one of the most complex types of content, because of the pans and wide shots that include crowds with camera flashes. That's just hell on an MPEG encoder, and it need any bitrate you can spare.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-25-2012)