Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone! I've been doing some research on here over the last couple of weeks in preparation for a VHS -> DVD project I'm starting for my parents. I'm a total newbie when it comes to the capturing and conversion process, but so far I've managed to gather quite a bit of useful knowledge thanks to the experts on this forum.

To begin, I'm converting a batch of 3 or 4 two hour VHS tapes that were originally 8mm and converted to VHS for my folks back in the day. Unfortunately, since each tape has 25 or 30 different back-to-back scenes/events covering a span of several years, I'll have to cut the massive capture HufYUV file into smaller chunks and edit each one separately. There's just no way to provide the same cleanup filters to the entire capture so I anticipate this will take quite some time.

I've purchased the following equipment over the last week and am waiting for it all to arrive:

JVC HR-S7800U S-VHS ET VCR with TBC
AVT-8710 Multi-Standard Time Base Corrector
Several S-Video Cables
ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB Capture Device

I plan to use Virtualdub and AVISynth for most of this stuff, and then most likely Sony Vegas, Adobe Premier, or TMPGEnc Authoring Works to create the DVD with menus. My capture system is a Windows 8.1 box using the 1st gen Core i7 980x (hexacore) with 12GB of memory and a 6TB drive.

Any good advice to start? I should mention that the VCR did NOT come with a remote - are all functions I need available without it?

I appreciate everyone's input and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve into this new world!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
To begin, I'm converting a batch of 3 or 4 two hour VHS tapes that were originally 8mm and converted to VHS for my folks back in the day. Unfortunately, since each tape has 25 or 30 different back-to-back scenes/events covering a span of several years, I'll have to cut the massive capture HufYUV file into smaller chunks and edit each one separately. There's just no way to provide the same cleanup filters to the entire capture so I anticipate this will take quite some time.
It's tedious, but that's the correct way.

Quote:
I've purchased the following equipment over the last week and am waiting for it all to arrive:
JVC HR-S7800U S-VHS ET VCR with TBC
AVT-8710 Multi-Standard Time Base Corrector
Several S-Video Cables
ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB Capture Device
That's all good equipment. Hopefully it has no flaws. That specific TBC can have issues, depending on age. So watch for it. I realize it's hard to see flaws when you don't know what they look like. But anything that seems odd, ask. And provide a sample clip.

Quote:
My capture system is a Windows 8.1
Good luck. That OS is terrible for video.

Quote:
I should mention that the VCR did NOT come with a remote - are all functions I need available without it?
No remote is fine. If you want one, you can find one of eBay for under $20. I've seen them as low as $1 plus shipping. There's a post here, on this forum, with images and more details on JVC remotes. The same base model has many model numbers, and 3-4 designs.

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's input and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve into this new world!
Undoubtedly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs