Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Free Member

Okay i have this Conextant card running and have been using it for quite some time.
And until recently when i discovered that Dscaler had itīs own driver that worked nicely with this, i noticed that the card had a setting called White Crush. What it does is that it automaticly increases/reduces the whiteness of the picture.

Not as in Contrast/Brightness, it works on itīs own level.
So if i turn it Off, details will dissapear into the brightness, no matter if i reduce the contrast or not.
So i have to have it On, and as with all AGC, it isnīt still and perfect, it changes over time, and will either make the picture to dim, or to bright, none of which can be fixed as it changes over time (and if itīs clipped, itīs gone).

I donīt think there is a way to fix this, as itīs probably a hardware issue, so i have been looking towards other cards.

But as AGP isnīt within my reach (donīt have a slot etc), i am looking towards newer cards.

but i still want the Best quality that can be gain, and NO AGC, as i want the "Exact" picture from VHS, Video 8 or whatever i feed it, not some automatic stuff changing it.

So i thought the Black Magic Intensity Pro was something, but from what i understand, itīs very sensitive to time base errors, and i only have a Line-TBC, and donīt really need a TBC (for my current card, and probably other cards) so it seems like a waste to buy an expensive card, just to buy a TBC to it.

So i am looking towards the ATI AIW 600-650 PAL editions, which sadly i canīt find.

But how are these compared to the AGP, are they worse, identical?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I just now addressed the topic of white/black crushing here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post22912

Quote:
It's almost impossible to correct crushing problems, as the data is lost. Hence crushed. All a proc amp does is compensate for it. Black levels (IRE) isn't quite as bad of an issue, as it tends to just brighten black, as opposed to destroy shadows. But it's in the same family of errors. And it can go either way -- reparable or irreparable. Also remember that this can alter luminance, which includes green color shifting. Ideally, you want all devices to respect colorspaces properly.
Also...

Quote:
So i am looking towards the ATI AIW 600-650 PAL editions, which sadly i canīt find.
- There isn't a "PAL edition".
- Note that the ATI All-In-Wonder (AIW) series is different from the ATI 600/650 series (non-AIW) cards.
- In the ATI AIW cards, the NTSC or PAL designations were solely for the tuner -- not composite or s-video. Same for the 600/650 cards.
- The 600 card cannot capture PAL MPEG in ATI CMC, only NTSC.
- However, the ATI 600 card can capture PAL AVI in VirtualDub, and in Windows XP/Vista/7.

Driver downloads and install instructions are here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...i-600-usb.html
Guides are forthcoming. Links to them will be added to the driver download page when done.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Free Member

Okay, so, the Ati 600, can capture AVI lossless, and with the entire capture window (meaning, it doesnīt overscan, i have seen some doing that, conextant does it with the normal drivers).

And it doesnīt have White Crush AGC (White Crush isnīt Crushing white, as in a flat line, itīs lowering the "whiteness" to prevent data loss, though itīs a pretty weird AGC, i think itīs to compensate something the card doesnīt have).

I would like to not have the USB, as PCI is "always" better and often more stable, and no latency issues.

How is it with drivers and Macrovision etc?

Can you capture Without, a TBC, directly from the VCR? (The conextant can).
09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Can you capture Without, a TBC, directly from the VCR? (The conextant can).
Yes, but issues vary. The same is true of virtually all capture cards, hence the need for TBC.

Quote:
I would like to not have the USB, as PCI is "always" better and often more stable, and no latency issues.
PCI isn't always better than USB, when it comes to video capture cards. I've never run into latency or dropped frames issues.
Note: On some other types of hardware, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Free Member

What do you mean with issues vary?

As i know that many "pro" capture cards, tend to drop intensively, both sound and video, "black screen" flicker etc.

on Conextant, everything looks like, well, a complete flow. Only time i get dropped frames are when there isnīt anything on the tape (only static noise etc), or if i use the PC to much.

I am glad to here that Capture isnīt bad when it comes to the USB parts, i only think of, dunno the name now, but you now the easycap stuff.
09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

There's more than just dropped frames to consider. Luma and chroma tends to be unstable as well, when not corrected. Lots of people miss it. You have to know what to look for. It becomes more obvious when you're watching the show for enjoyment, as opposed to previewing it during capture/editing/etc.

09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Oh, i see:S

Do you have the Ati 600?

if so, could you maybe capture directly from the VCR and give me a sample if possible?