digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Errors on the edges of converted VHS tapes? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4551-errors-edges-converted.html)

xyciana 09-11-2012 04:43 PM

Errors on the edges of converted VHS tapes?

I read the admin post and I am still a little confused and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I have two ways of importing my VHS tapes (Want to convert Wedding Movie to DVD)

1. Via connection through my camcorder which in turn is connected via a firewire port.
2. Using USB Roxio Video capture USB

I use Scart on the video recorder and don't laugh. I have bought a new video recorder, new cables, etc. and still get fuzziness on the bottom horizontal edge of the video file whichever method I use. On the TV (as per admin post) it works fine from the Video recorder.

However, I use Pinnacle Studio 14 to edit and convert to DVD. Problem is when DVD plays back on DVD player, the fuzziness is on the TV. :( . Same problem when I used Roxio DVD package. I only have the fuzziness on the bottom horizontal edge and can someone please guide me as to how to overcome this problem. i.e. step by step guide on what needs to be done either when importing or to the movie file once on the computer to remove the fuzziness. Something that won't cost too much.

N.B. When I import direct from my video camera tapes (mini DV) via firefire, import always works perfectly.

Help really appreciated. So much so, that once I've ported the three video tapes that I need to successfully, I'm quite happy to give both of my video recorders FOC to anyone who wished to collect them from Carmarthen, U.K.

juhok 09-11-2012 07:10 PM

Do you mean head switching noise or something else? 8-16 pixels at the bottom? If it's that, it's normal for VHS, just black it out. If you mean something else, please post a screenshot of the phenoma.

kpmedia 09-12-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juhok (Post 22823)
Do you mean head switching noise or something else? 8-16 pixels at the bottom? If it's that, it's normal for VHS, just black it out.

Correct. :thumb:

"Black it out" often means to add a matte -- DO NOT CROP IT!
Cropping makes something smaller. It would warp the picture. Interlaced video would be ruined.

Although some software mistakenly refers to matting as a "crop" when that's not exactly what's going on.
Masking is a more accurate and often-used term.
Some NLEs (mostly Adobe Premiere) have also used the term clipping in the past -- but that's wrong jargon, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juhok (Post 22823)
If you mean something else, please post a screenshot of the phenoma.

Ditto.

xyciana 09-14-2012 12:44 PM

"Do you mean head switching noise or something else? 8-16 pixels at the bottom? If it's that, it's normal for VHS, just black it out."

Yes, that's it. 8-16 pixels at the bottom.

"just black it out", "add a matte" - Sorry to sound silly but that is where I am totally stuck. I use Pinnacle 14 and I cannot find the option. Is there any easy to use software (not expensive) that will do it for me?

"DO NOT CROP IT" - Apart from the fact, I not sure how to do that either, instead of having a black line at the bottom when I play the DVD back can I not somehow remove the 8-16 pixels around all the edge pf the video so still retain the aspect ratio? Again if a possibility, is there any easy to use software (not expensive) that will do this for me?

Really appreciated.