Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Free Member

I purchased a ATI 9600 AIW Radeon Card off of fleabay and I think it's defective. I get the code 10 error messages in device manager. I have followed suggestions from this forum and elsewhere but to no avail. I installed the card into two different computers and received the same same message (XP machine and WIN2K) I noticed this forum has very detailed information on the ATI cards. The CD that came with my card is the Catalyst version of the installer. If I'm reading everything correctly, this version of the installer will install everything in the correct sequence? Shouldn't everything I need to make the card work be on the original CD?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

It might be helpful to post more information about the machines you are using. Code 10 could be from a chipset problem or AGP issues. The 9600 is a AGP 8X board, although its keyed for 1.5v AGP slots, there are some motherboards that are incorrectly keyed (only work with 3.3v cards, but keyed to take 1.5v). It should work on AGP 4X and 8X boards otherwise. XP should auto install generic display drivers on without a CD on the 9600 cards. Also try installing the card on a machine with a clean installation of Windows to rule out other conflicts.
09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply NJ. I will indeed have to look at my M/B. It could very well be that I don't have the right AGP slot. I did some more reading on this forum and I saw someone suggest that this card will only work on a 8x slot. I see the 7500 will work on 2x/4x. I did do a clean install of WIN2K and it didn't help any. (Too bad I didn't burn Service Pack 4 first because I almost didn't find it online) I might try and conjure up a 7500. I'm completely dug into this project now. Even though it has given me a beat down at every turn I'm going to do high quality captures even if it drives me nuts (insert Woody Woodpecker laugh WAV here). After all, I'm from Missouri and the official animal is a Mule. Long live mules!
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Well, looks like you were right. My slot is a 4x AGP. Doh! I really wanted the ATI PCI version card but I've not been able to locate one. This forum has been really bad for my self esteem.
09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

The card should work fine in an AGP4X slot. What model motherboard does the machine have? Boards with VIA chipsets tend to cause all sorts of weird error headaches.
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Yes, I believe it's a VIA chipset. I believe the motherboard is a Asus A7V266. Is there a way to make this card work with this board?
09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

There are many variants of the A7V266, its best to check whats actually printed on the board. If its an early board with the VIA KT266 chipset, I'll lean towards finding another board as that chipset was pretty lousy. VIA fixed the problems with the KT266A chipset(found on the Asus A7V266-E). AGP problems are not surprising on these boards. They can sometimes be fixed by installing VIA's Hyperion chipset drivers, formerly known as the "4-in-1" package. Even if you get AGP working, I'm going to advise against it being used as a capture rig. These boards can have problems with keeping audio in sync thanks to PCI bus issues.
09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Free Member

Well I actually checked the Motherboard and it's a Asus A7S333 with the SIS 745 Chipset. Not sure if this makes any difference. I downloaded and installed the newest SIS AGP drivers but it didn't help with the code 10 error.
09-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

I getting flashbacks of having to support this era of hardware.... it wasn't pretty. What BIOS revision is this board running? You can get the revision and date off of the POST screen when the machine first starts. It seems quite a few bugs were fixed in the later revisions, and it may fix the AGP issue indirectly.

The latest BIOS+update utility can be found here: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...S333&p=1&os=17

The SiS AGP drivers (at least an old version of them) is there under the "VGA" category as well. You have to create a DOS boot disk and update the BIOS that way. No friendly Windows flashers for these old boards.
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Free Member

Okay, I used some canned air and blowed out my FDD and was able to make a DOS boot disk. How do I update my BIOS? Do I download the Asus BIOS utility onto my boot disk? Do I need to make a new disc with the BIOS utility and updated BIOS?
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Create an MS-DOS boot disk. Copy the aflash.exe program along with the BIOS image (AS331006.AWD) to the disk. Boot off of the floppy, once at the A:\> prompt, type "aflash.exe". The program should pop up with several options. Back up your current BIOS, then flash the new BIOS, you will be prompted for the file name (AS331006.AWD), so make sure you make a note of it before you start.
09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

If a floppy is not available, sometimes a CD or DVD works.
Follow the official instructions from the manufacturer, when it comes to performing BIOS upgrades.

Some do require floppy -- and only floppy -- so you may have to hunt down a drive and a disk.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Free Member

I flashed the BIOS but I'm still having the same code 10 error message in Device Manager. I still also get the same message when I try and run the ATI program. It says that the WDM capture drivers are not in the registry or something like that. Do you think a clean install of XP would help or do you think it's just a defective card?
09-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Let me put it to you like this: If anything at all works, then the card can be installed.
I've never seen a situation where AGP problems allowed the card to even pass video, much less get as far along to have driver problems.
AGP issues, to my knowledge, entirely prevent the hardware from even working. That doesn't sound like your problem.

I'm assuming you're seeing the error code 10 problems with the ATI as the active graphics card? (Though likely with low-grade 640x480 type resolution.)

Please confirm.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Free Member

This is the only video card installed. I get the code 10 error message in device manager. In device manager I have three yellow flags: ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio, ATI WDM Rage Theater Video, ATI WDM Audio Crossbar. When I try and run "TV" from the ATI menu that is along the right side of my screen it gives me a message that it is unable to start. When I run the "test" it says that I need to install the WDM capture drivers. I have installed the WDM capture drivers both from the installation CD and also I have tried to install them from device manager by pointing them to the installation CD. VirtualDub does not recognize any capture devices so I got a big bucket o' barnacles right now. I don't have any resolution problems, I can pick any that I want.
09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
All is not lost yet.

I've been waiting for this to be finished: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...intenance.html ...
So that I can create guides for doing this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...aiw-vista.html ...
Which would use the same techniques for forcing an install into XP.

So if you're not in a rush, give me another week, and you'll have all the required info to make it happen.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Thanks lordsmurf. I can wait. I'm still waiting on my HM-DH5U to arrive anyway. However, I did purchase an AIW 7500 from fleabay. I did a another format on my WIN2K machine and burned an AIW setup disc using the ISO files provided from this site. Everything was going great until I realized that I didn't have a DVI to VGA adapter. I felt like I just opened a present from Jokey Smurf. Good grief.