Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Free Member

I happen to got the same material recorded to VHS and also the original BetacamSP master. So how do they compare? Download and find out.

UTVideoCodec, converted to 4:2:0 for compatibility (Beta was sampled at 4:2:2).
http://cdn4.digitalFAQ.com/juhok/Pla...camSP_ULY0.avi

Clipboard05.png

edit: Maybe more videos later with some 'real life' material.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Ahh, VHS --- chroma shifting (color bleeding) and high frequency noise.
What surprised me the most on this clip was the identical luma resolution. Both videos seem to have equal sharpness?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Free Member

I have to disagree. Luma resolution is greater in BetaSP version.

Mouseover PNG luma comparison: http://www.siluriformes.net/videohel..._GBA_Luma.html

Aside from the blurred edges of sharp contrast objects, BetaSP has some good definition of surface texture on the game console where VHS has just noise.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.
Admin refused to unhide hidden content
nothing will help to see hidden content

Attached Images
File Type: png Play_GBA_Luma_VHS.png (238.0 KB, 21 downloads)
File Type: png Play_GBA_Luma_BetaSP.png (274.5 KB, 20 downloads)
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-05-2012)
09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
You're right. It was hard to see with the side-by-side version.
The full comparison makes it more obvious -- especially when using the forum's before/after feature.

The instructions/code for using the before/after code is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...er-images.html

Is that banding (posterizing) in the on-screen shadow an error in the source footage? Or some other byproduct?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Free Member

Seems like posterizing is in the source. It can just and just be seen in the VHS dub too. The backround might be generated in post - I don't know the details of the production.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: lordsmurf (10-05-2012)
09-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Free Member

Fun comparison!

I suppose though that it's not that hard to believe that we used to think some VHS tapes looked good. It's funny, after I've spent a few days working on VHS sources and not watching much TV, VHS starts to look really good to me, then I turn on an HD channel and it's like stepping into Oz lol.
09-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

What causes that smearing on VHS anyway? (like to the right of the "Advance" text and D-pad) Its one thing that really annoys me about VHS sources and doesn't seem easy to fix.
10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Free Member

That's an interesting question. How much is due to recording and how much is added at playback? Do certain types of magnetic tape "bleed" over time in storage? My *guess* is that it's mostly due to sub-optimal electronics and video heads at the recording stage. Full white with quick transtion to dark - sub-optimal gear will not change the signal levels fast enough and there's signal residual which quickly fades away along the video head path, from left to right.
10-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The BVP4 proc amp can cause those, on some units, on some tapes. I've seen it here. It also varies between VCRs, even on the same tape. I think it's a combination of issues both on the tape, and with the hardware. It's the frequencies and oscillations, from what I understand.

Though obnoxious, it tends to be the least harmful issue. At some point, you have to just call it good and move on to the next tape.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!