Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-20-2012, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Hello:
I am trying to figure out how to use the firewire connection from my JVC unit to burn Segments from VHS Tapes to load onto youtube etc. What is the best computer equipment as well as video processing software for a guy that is not that intuitive! Any help or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

Chris

Should I upgrade to Windows 7 Core i7?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Free Member

you can use WinDV or scenalyzer

however i would recommend not using the firewire output at all
if you do you wont be able to use a proper TBC..

instead use the S-video out to a good TBC and capture card
11-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

He should be OK with the Firewire output, the TBC in the HM-DH40000U is pretty good. The output is a MPEG2 Transport Stream not DV, so you have to use a program like DVHSCap or HDVSplit to capture video. Audio is MPEG1 Layer 2 format.
11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Thank you for answering NJROADFAN and VOLKSJAGER: I will be purchasing a new computer as part of thie project, and was wondering if you could steer me in the right direction, or a certain spec i should look for. Also I was considering if this same feature would work with an Apple product, and make something using I Movie. I continue to appreciate the help from this board in preserving my tapes. If I were to buy a new computer with a capture card, any suggestions volksjager?

Happy thanksgiving all!

Chris
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Free Member

apples are generally not suggested for capture.

if you are running Windows 7 use a ATI600USB
if you have an XP computer with an AGP slot get an ATI AIW

for a TBC the TBC-1000 and AVT8710 are very well regarded here.

i have a Keywest BVTBC-10 i picked up cheap that seems to work good to i would like to test it against one of the others but i dont own either.
i also just scored a For-A FA-125 on ebay, but have not got it yet.
11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
apples are generally not suggested for capture. if you are running Windows 7 use a ATI600USB. if you have an XP computer with an AGP slot get an ATI AIW. for a TBC the TBC-1000 and AVT8710 are very well regarded here. i have a Keywest BVTBC-10 i picked up cheap that seems to work good to i would like to test it against one of the others but i dont own either. i also just scored a For-A FA-125 on ebay, but have not got it yet.
I appreciate your feedback... I was actually looking for a solution that i could go firewire out of the dh4000 to a firwire connection on either a desktop or laptop, but the usb solution does look interesting.... If I buy a dedicated windows 7 unit 64 bit, will the dh4000 be recognized and i will be able to imports vhs snipits and longer. I will also look into the TBC's after i get a solution that works. I just dont want to spend money, to discover a big disappointmnet of not being able to import from the jvc into a new computer. hope you had a great thanksgiving, and i appreciate your help in getting me going on this porject.

All the best

Chris
11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Free Member

you can capture either way.
i guess it just matters if you are after the very best picture quality or not.

ive had a 40000 and well as a an SR-VS20 SVHS/DV combo decks and did not like the captures i got using direct to PC firewire.
11-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
you can capture either way.
i guess it just matters if you are after the very best picture quality or not.

ive had a 40000 and well as a an SR-VS20 SVHS/DV combo decks and did not like the captures i got using direct to PC firewire.
So i thought that the firewire would deliver the better quality, thanks for clearing that up, i guess it doesant. so you are sold on the ATI USB Product. only got 2 stars on amazon... If i had a custom machine built, any suggestions for a capture card. I have many memories that i would like to preserve and money is really not an issue. thanks again!
11-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Free Member

dont go by amazon ratings.
half are left by idiots that have no idea what they are doing.
if the ATI600USB is good enough to get LordSmurfs' approval then it is good enough for me.

the problem with firewire is: you cant use an external TBC and you cant capture lossless

please read: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html

and http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Tags
capture, hm-dh4000, ilink, jvc