Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Free Member

I've been browsing through the forum and looking around on the way to transfer my Hi8 tapes to digital files. I'm just now clear what the best way to do this is:

When reading, some say you can purchase a Digital8 camcorder and transfer the Hi8 tapes via Firewire. The problem, some argue, is that some not all Digital8 camcorders can do this. I've read that the first Digital8 camcorders could not read the Hi8 analog tapes. Instead, Digital8 camcorders could write to the Hi8 tapes in digital. Later, it seems that the Digital8 camcorders were then able to read Hi8 tapes, but not all.

Then there is the thing about 'pass thru' and line TBC's. It sounds like if you use Firewire to transfer Hi8 tapes, you are 'NOT' using the internal TBC's? Or, perhaps when transferring a Hi8 tape via Firewire with a Digital8 camcorder, the Digtial8 camcorder always uses the TBC's?

On the other hand, I believe I've read it correctly that some argue that transferring Hi8 via Firewire doesn't result in a good quality transfer? So some instead, prefer to transfer the Hi8 tape via an S-Video connector. However, I've read too that some Digital8 camcorders no longer have S-Video connectors in order to save money in building the camcorder?

My understand is that the 'pass thru' capability with a Digital8 camcorder is for those interested in passing VHS signals through the camcorder too to use the Line TBC inside the Camera, then use a external full frame TBC, to further clean up the signal, possibly a proc amp, then to the PC capture card?

So...would I need a camcorder with the 'pass thru' capability? Or?

As of right now, I no longer have my old Sony Hi8 camcorder. So I'm going to need to purchase a used camcorder to transfer the Hi8 tapes. I just am not sure what I should make sure the camcorder has before I get one (possibly on ebay or otherwise).

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused on what's the best way to transfer Hi8 tapes.

Currently, I already own a full frame TBC (S-video connectors), proc amp, and ATI capture card if the S-Video approach is preferable. However, I like the sound of transferring via Firewire too ...but maybe the quality is not as good? So to me, it seems like the S-video way would result in a better quality transfer.

Since I'm getting a new camcorder to transfer my Hi8 tapes, I'm interested in how I can use the pass thru capability for my VHS tapes too. Or, perhaps I shouldn't bother worrying about it? Or?

How should I approach this? Perhaps someone also knows a current list of camcorders that would be good for Hi8 transfers?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Free Member

i have been unhappy with anything analog ive tried to transfer via firewire.
with firewire you cant use an external TBC.
for DV or D8 recordings firewire is probably fine.

the lesser D8 cams can not do Hi8

use one of the better Hi8 or D8 cams with a S-video out or one of the good Hi8 VCR's
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: JasonCA (12-26-2012)
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
i have been unhappy with anything analog ive tried to transfer via firewire.
with firewire you cant use an external TBC.
for DV or D8 recordings firewire is probably fine.

the lesser D8 cams can not do Hi8

use one of the better Hi8 or D8 cams with a S-video out or one of the good Hi8 VCR's
That makes good sense too. Like you said, transferring a Hi8 tape with an S-Video connection allows you the chance to use an external TBC which you can't do via the fire-wire route.

What I didn't realize or think was transferring via a good Hi8 VCR. I didn't even think they existed . Of course, those VCR's are only good for people who have Hi8 tapes. But, I'm sure they are a bit more rare. I'll look into it.

So I'm happy to go the route of transferring Hi8 via S-Video. I still need to find me a VCR or camcorder with S-Video to do the transfer.

Thanks volksjager.
12-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Free Member

the Hi8 VCR's will also play regular 8mm
the EV-S3000 and EV-S7000 have built in TBCs and are the best i know of.