digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Need instruction to capture Hi8 and 8mm using ATI 600? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5010-instruction-capture-hi8.html)

kcmom 03-10-2013 12:10 AM

Need instruction to capture Hi8 and 8mm using ATI 600?

I have been reading and looking for guides to help understand how to capture Hi8 and 8mm tapes played with Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV120 Video Camera using ATI 600. From what I have read it seems like I should use VirtualDub to capture AVI so that I can later edit out unwanted footage. It sounds as though there are guides on this site, please direct me to the most detailed instructions and settings available. I know there are people who know where to find everything on this great site! I reallly need your assistance!

I have attemped a couple of trials, but end up getting lost in all of the settings. I do not know if both Hi8 and 8mm would need same settings or different. I am no video expert, I just want to transfer our family videos in the best way possible. We have so many that I must figure out how to do it myself because the cost would prohibit us from having it done professionally, but I don't want to make a mess of it. I would like to end up with good quality DVDs and possibly some way to keep the AVI files stored for the future.

thecoalman 03-10-2013 11:53 AM

Anything that was recorded on that camcorder or other D8 camcorder is already digital and should be transferred over firewire as DV AVI. What software you use to do that is irrelevant as long as it supports DV AVI. This is a bit for bit copy of what is on the tape, you're just copying what is on the tape to your hard drive. The only settings for DV transfer is type 1 or type 2 and that is that is only relevant to how the audio is stored in the file. You can choose either becsue any editor will support both.

If those tapes were originally recorded on an analog hi8/8mm camcorder and that Sony camcorder supports it then it will do the conversion to DV and you can transfer over firewire. If it will play them then it should do the conversion too....

---------edit-------

Looking over the specs on that camcorder it appears it does support that feature. You don't need anything but a firewire cable(sony calls it a ilink cable) and and firewire port on your computer.

While on the topic it also supports pass through which means you can hook other analog devices to it like a VCR and convert the signal to DV to send over firewire.

In case you're unaware that camcorder has some value.;) Digital 8's aren't exactly common and you have one with two great features.

kcmom 03-10-2013 02:17 PM

Thank you for the info. The cameras we used to to create the videos quit working years ago and the tapes sat in the closet for years. I just happened on this one when I advertised on a local radio program. I can get a firewire cable on amazon, but none of our computers have the firewire port. I have usb and hdmi. Is there any kind of adapter or a way to add firewire?

thecoalman 03-10-2013 11:13 PM

you can get a firewire card cheap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...re+pci&x=0&y=0

kpmedia 03-10-2013 11:15 PM

What thecoalman says is spot on. :congrats:

thecoalman 03-11-2013 10:31 AM

FYI if you look some come with the cable included, this one is $12 with the cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815265002

kcmom 03-15-2013 06:45 PM

It seems that I cannot add firewire card to current laptop. :( I will have to consider options.

thecoalman 03-15-2013 10:23 PM

I don't know what to suggest, the only thing I can tell you is transfer over firewire is as easy as it gets.

It's an absolute must for material already recorded as digital if you want the absolute original video and it's also very favorable method for analog conversions if they are analog hi8/8mm.

kcmom 03-18-2013 11:15 PM

I have been unable to find a computer with firewire port or capability to add firewire card. I now have the ATI 600 USB device, have installed it successfully (finally), along with virtualdub, Catalyst Media Center and HuffYUV. I read the guide on how to capture AVI in VirtualDub, but could not follow some of the steps. The images of virtualdub in the guide I found showed version 1.5.1. The version I have is 1.9.8. I know I did something wrong because the audio sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk when I played it with VLC player. Also, I could not find anywhere to make certain it was interlaced as instructed.

Can anyone give me a hand with the video and audio settings?

I am trying to capture both 8mm and Hi8 video tapes that were recorded on a camera that no longer works and on one that was stolen. The camera we have now is a Sony Digital8 DCR-TRV120. It has firewire (but computer does not), s-video, and composite video out. TBC and DNR can be turned on through the camera's menu.

Or...should I just wait until I find a way to connect with the firewire cable?

kpmedia 03-18-2013 11:33 PM

We're making multiple ATI 600 in a few days. I have the card on my desk, and it'll go from install to MPEG (NTSC) to AVI (NTSC, PAL).
We also have new versions of VirtualDub to share.

It's way, way overdue, but the time has finally come! :eek:

kcmom 03-18-2013 11:40 PM

Thanks so much for all you do to help others out! :) Finally figured out how to get everything installed in Windows 7 Home Premium and looking forward to the updates!

kcmom 06-02-2013 07:17 PM

I am back searching though posts after an absence of a couple of months. Are the ATI600 guides mentioned above still in the works, or have they been completed and I missed them somewhere?:hmm: Just wondering.:)

admin 06-04-2013 05:12 AM

We have 4 large projects right now.
When done, we're going to take a break. During that time, the break, the new guides will be released. :)

Look for those around July 15.

kcmom 11-11-2013 11:25 PM

Can you please help me find this guide? I can't seem to find where it is.

kcmom 03-28-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoalman (Post 25512)
Anything that was recorded on that camcorder or other D8 camcorder is already digital and should be transferred over firewire as DV AVI. What software you use to do that is irrelevant as long as it supports DV AVI. This is a bit for bit copy of what is on the tape, you're just copying what is on the tape to your hard drive. The only settings for DV transfer is type 1 or type 2 and that is that is only relevant to how the audio is stored in the file. You can choose either becsue any editor will support both.

If those tapes were originally recorded on an analog hi8/8mm camcorder and that Sony camcorder supports it then it will do the conversion to DV and you can transfer over firewire. If it will play them then it should do the conversion too....

---------edit-------

Looking over the specs on that camcorder it appears it does support that feature. You don't need anything but a firewire cable(sony calls it a ilink cable) and and firewire port on your computer.

While on the topic it also supports pass through which means you can hook other analog devices to it like a VCR and convert the signal to DV to send over firewire.

In case you're unaware that camcorder has some value.;) Digital 8's aren't exactly common and you have one with two great features.

I have returned to some old posts with information I was given 5 or 6 years in the past because I am once again wanting to get some video from hi8 and 8mm tapes in to a computer in order to keep short clips of some rather long recordings. I now have a MacBook Air with thunderbolt port and still have the Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV120 Video Camera referred to in the quote above.

1. I see amazon has thunderbolt to firewire adapters. Do these really work?
2 If so, and I play the tapes in the digital camera connected to the MacBook, what software would I need?

*If I shouldn't be posting on this old thread, please let me know.

-- merged --

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to edit previous post.
I really need instruction to capture/transfer (don't know correct term) hi8 and 8mm using firewire to thunderbolt not the ATI 600 as in thread title.

---Just found the following on sony support site. Do you think this will work well?

If your computer has a Thunderbolt port, use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter with a compatible i.LINK cable.

Cue the tape in the camcorder to the position where you want to begin importing the video.
In the iMovie window, click the IMPORT button.
When finished, click the IMPORT button again to stop.

hodgey 03-29-2019 06:43 AM

Yeah you can use firewire on a mac using a thunderbolt adapter cable. Just be aware that the adapters may be firewire-800, while the camera uses the older firewire 400 (they have different plugs), so you may need a firewire 400 to firewire 800 adapter as well.

kcmom 03-29-2019 12:25 PM

Thank you so much! I will order both. :)

kcmom 04-16-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgey (Post 60502)
Yeah you can use firewire on a mac using a thunderbolt adapter cable. Just be aware that the adapters may be firewire-800, while the camera uses the older firewire 400 (they have different plugs), so you may need a firewire 400 to firewire 800 adapter as well.

When I have the correct cables to go from camera's firewire to MacBook's thunderbolt port, is there a particular software that is better to use and file type to save? Quicktime, iMovie, or something better (but not expensive)?

Goal:
-Get video from tapes saved to external hard drives so will have digital back up.
-Do simple editing to keep short clips of videos to share with family. (rather than entire little league games, school programs, etc.)