09-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Free Member

hii

i new in this world ..im trying to capture my old VHS cassete to a AVI file...(im using virtual dub)
But I have a problem with one of the cassette..until now my cassete formt was a PAL....
But if I choose PAL when I try to capture one of my caste I see nothing in virtualdub capture mode (on the preview) i tryed to change tht video filter to NTSC and i can see the movie but without colors (B&W)...i tryed the other formats ( pal_m...) but the only time i can see a video is when i chose NTSC but B&W..how can i add color?what i need to do to see the colors?

help
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Free Member

what are you using for a VCR?
you cant use an NTSC tape in a PAL VCR.
also what capture card are you using?
09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
what are you using for a VCR?
you cant use an NTSC tape in a PAL VCR.
also what capture card are you using?
Hi

I'm using a eseycap USB capture device..and I'm using a JVC VCR(HR-J82MS)-on the front of the VCR there is a label "pal/mesecam/NTSC 3.58/4.43 -NTSC playback on pal TV"

So I think the VCR is multisystem ...I don't know how to choose the format on the VCR (I don't have the remote control)

How I can solve the problem?

BTW when i connect the VCR to my TV (CRT) i see the video with colors

Thanks
09-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Free Member

both the VCR and the capture card are no good.
the VCR is a low end consumer grade unit and the easyCRAP is about the worst capture device made.
you need to upgrade your hardware big time if you want good captures.
if you only have a few tape it would make more sense to send to a pro service
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-29-2013)
09-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Free Member

Even with high-end gear it's not usually possible to capture NTSC-on-PAL with colors. You need native NTSC VCR for that.
The following users thank juhok for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-29-2013)
09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
old VHS cassete to a AVI file...(im using virtual dub)
i tryed to change tht video filter to NTSC and i can see the movie but without colors (B&W)
Using VirtualDub is a good choice. Be sure you set all of the capture options properly, however. It's easy to miss some. Even I do this from time to time, and I've been working with VirtualDub for more than 10 years now.

Quote:
I'm using a eseycap USB capture device..
This is a terrible capture card. It outputs low quality, and has many flaws. volksjager was correct.

Quote:
and I'm using a JVC VCR(HR-J82MS)-on the front of the VCR there is a label "pal/mesecam/NTSC 3.58/4.43 -NTSC playback on pal TV"
So I think the VCR is multisystem ...I don't know how to choose the format on the VCR (I don't have the remote control)
I'm not yet convinced this was a multo0system VCR. I see lots of sites online that list it as a plain VHS VCR, not multisystem. But then I see some sites (most copy/paste sites) that says it's multisystem. Where the original documentation on it? That would help solve this riddle.

juhok was also correct. The only good way to capture tapes is with native VCRs for the format. That's why I imported PAL VCRs from UK in years past. Those have less issues than the so-called multiformat machines.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs