Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Hi, I read the AIW thread with all the driver links. Very interesting.

I have an AIW 9600 AGP with all the original stuff that I want to use for analog video capture. I got a freebie computer with a messy install of XP and no installer disk to match what looks like an upgrade license code. I tried to clean it up and install the AIW drivers. Everything works except the capture drivers, of which there seem to be five. Three show yellow flags in Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling, deleting ATI files, purging the registry, removing drivers in safe mode, all to no avail.

I have a couple of options. I could swap in a board/CPU combo, actually a somewhat better package, for which I have the XP/SP2 OEM installer disk.

Option 2 would be to reformat the hdd in the existing machine and install Windows 2000, following a process I found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1589...-professional/

I would modify this process by installing the AGP and ATI drivers after I have .NET and DirectX 9 squared away.

I'm interested in opinions. Which is a better option? Or is there something I can do with the current setup that I have overlooked?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Free Member

Hmmm. I have now installed this card over clean installs of Win2k and XP with the ATI drivers from this site as well as the ones that came with the card - four separate installs starting from a bare hard drive. I read everything I could find and followed the instructions carefully. I cannot get the capture drivers to work. Everything else works fine.

I notice quite a few people have had this problem, and nobody seems to have a solution. A couple of people remember having the problem and solving it, but they can't remember how. I am fresh out of ideas. It's an obsolete card, but it would be useful to me, if I could get it to work. Oh well... I have a USB capture board that works well enough, I guess.
05-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Free Member

ATI software is tricky to install.
i just built a nice tower with a 9200AIW and the 1st try at installation was a failure.
i then followed instructions i found in a post here and it works perfect now.
i think it was either KPmedia or Admins post
i would stay with XP
05-08-2013, 03:44 AM
Free Member

Congratulations on your success.

I read everything I could find before I started this project, including all the material on this site. I followed the instructions carefully. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I'm not really surprised, because ATI apparently couldn't help people solve this problem back when the card was being sold. But some people can get it to work, others can't, and I'm curious what the secret is.
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

I usually just end up uninstalling, reinstalling then rebooting. Depending on how that goes I may need to reinstall after the reboot.

I usually end up doing this almost everytime I plan on using my AIW9600 to capture. It's a real PITA but it eventually works. Since it such a pain, I usually wait until I have several items to capture/transfer.
05-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Some tools you may find useful.
- 2006 - ATI Removal Utility
- 2013 - AMD (ATI) Catalyst Uninstall Utility

I'd use the older one first.

Attached Files
File Type: rar amd_cleanup_util_1.2.1.0.rar (457.9 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: rar AtiCimUn.rar (29.1 KB, 6 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Site Staff / Media Consultant

What current board CPU is being used?

Never use Win2000 with ATI cards... only use Win XP SP2 or SP3.

ATI used to send people to this site with their questions/problems. (That was actually unexpected and caused this site to crash the first month. A new web host had to be found that supported the extra volume of inquiries.)

The AIW 9600 is not an obsolete card. It may need older hardware to run, but it's not going to become obsolete until all the VHS tapes are gone and no one has them anymore (and that's not going happen for a long, long time).

@volksjager & lantern

Good job in sticking with it, because the ATI AIW is one of the best.

Yep.
05-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Free Member

I have tried two boards. I have an OEM license and installer for XP/SP3 (I incorrectly said SP2 above) for one of them. It's an MSI K8N with an Athlon 64 3000+

I tried to install the card twice from a bare, formatted drive. Everything works except the capture drivers.

Capturing VHS tapes is exactly what I want to do. I have a JVC hr-s7800u VCR and an Honestech USB capture board that work pretty well with VirtualDub, but I'd be interested to see if I can get a better result with the AIW, if I can get it to work.
05-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Site Staff / Media Consultant

Try again. Go to the following link: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

Use the ATI driver removal utility in between attempts.

Post 1 has a 6168 drivers. Post 20 has an ISO. Try them both because they almost always work.

Yep.
05-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Free Member

OK, I'll hook the XP board back into my case and try it again. This time I'll make an xxclone of the pre-driver OS install, so it will be easier to experiment. I'll post a report and maybe some questions.

Crazy.