Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Can the quality of a capture be judged purely on the number of frames dropped or does it require viewing of the file to get an idea of quality?
I assume the ideal is zero dropped frames but how often is this achieveable and does this even mean the capture is good?
Is there a point during a capture that the number of dropped frames makes it pointless to continue?
Is it feasible to capture "blind" return after and hour or two and make a judgement, based on the information the capture software provides, on whether it worth keeping the file based on dropped frame information?
Finally is there anything that must be done at the capture stage, assuming the recommended settings from the site guides are applied (for say mpeg2), that can't be corrected later in software?

Any advice appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but I'd say you have to watch the file to get an idea of the quality. You of course want 0 dropped frames, I've never had any so I can't say how it effects the video but I assume it does to some point. Even if it is 1 or 3.
07-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleaye View Post
Can the quality of a capture be judged purely on the number of frames dropped
Yes. The file may be jerky if it more than 2-3 per hour.

Quote:
I assume the ideal is zero dropped frames but how often is this achieveable and does this even mean the capture is good?
I almost never get dropped frames.
It may be the computer, the audio card, the capture card, the software, or the competing running programs pulling on the CPU.
I need to know more about the system to guess/troubleshoot.

Quote:
Is there a point during a capture that the number of dropped frames makes it pointless to continue?
I stop mine if it's more than 2-3, or if it isn't dropping because of an obvious bad spot on the tape. I have a stack of tape hat I'm just going to redo next week. Had to rebuild the computer. It started to drop frames after many years of use. The CPU was toast, I think, so into the trash it went.

Quote:
Is it feasible to capture "blind" return after and hour or two and make a judgement
I check every 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
Finally is there anything that must be done at the capture stage, assuming the recommended settings from the site guides are applied (for say mpeg2), that can't be corrected later in software?
Depends on what it is. Some yes, some no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSeven View Post
I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but I'd say you have to watch the file to get an idea of the quality. You of course want 0 dropped frames, I've never had any so I can't say how it effects the video but I assume it does to some point. Even if it is 1 or 3.
A few frames won;t really affect it. ATI MMC drops audio with video, so there won't be skew. (Assuming that the card in use. Not sure. I'm guessing.) VirtualDub will skew.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs