Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Hello, I see all other posts of yours about Super VCRS, so thought you might be able to answer my odd question. You know plugs that people take from the UK to USA or USA to UK to use things like their laptops. Can you use those kind of plug adaptors to use say A USA VCR in the UK plus connect it to your UK TV?

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Your looking for "step-up" and "step-down" transformers. Technically, yes, you can use them. But they usually cause way too much interference in the signal to be useful, assuming you care about quality.

Most JVC PAL VCRs have 110W-240W ~ 50Hz-60Hz power supplies, meaning you can use them natively in the USA/Canada. All you need are plug shape adapters.

I've never personally tried to do this with NTSC VCRs in UK. Not sure what happens.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Free Member

I'm from Germany and I have to use a power converter (transformer) for all my NTSC VCR's.
If not, the power supply will be killed and maybe something else.