digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Laserdisc Player Recommendation (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/543-laserdisc-player-recommendation.html)

lordgoat666 08-06-2005 03:51 PM

Laserdisc Player Recommendation

I have a few laserdiscs that I want to transfer onto DVD. Can anyone please recommend a few good brands and/or models that would be ideal to do this? Thanks.

lordsmurf 08-06-2005 09:48 PM

Pioneer is probably the best brand.
As far as models, ask markatisu.

markatisu 08-07-2005 02:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well it depends where are you looking to buy from?

Pioneer is the best brand but there are a number of models so it depends on what you want

-Do you want it to auto flip sides or not, editing the result in MPGVCR does not require you to autoflip since you can just record as one big dvd recording and edit down to the frame from when it flips

-What laserdiscs are you intending to play, a lot of imports, etc?

I would personally stay away from Sony as their lasers tend to suck. Greg (Tekken1701) might also have some player recommendations as he I think has 2-3

I use the CLD-M301, its an older one side at a time machine by Pioneer but it did an incredible transfer of Exosquad as seen here

Attachment 243
Attachment 244
Attachment 245

lordgoat666 08-07-2005 12:39 PM

LS and Mark, thanks for the fast responses.

Mark,
I have only US laserdiscs, no imports. I would prefer auto reverse, but it doesn't have to be. I have no clue about laserdiscs, I just bought them because the movies/music specials are all OOP and I want a better source than VHS to transfer to DVD. Can you recommend to me where I can find players to purchase, other than eBay? Thanks for your help.

BTW, nice transfers, that's what I'm looking for.

markatisu 08-07-2005 12:53 PM

Well with the exception of about 3-4 laserdisc specific stores the laserdisc market in the US is dead, any laserdisc players in retail now are hybrid dvd and laserdisc (there are 1-2 models that I know of and I think Sony makes them both)

Your best and cheapest bet is to go via ebay or try to find a used electronics store or a pawn shop. A LOT of pawn shops sell these LD units cheap

But the most variety is going to sadly be on ebay which means shipping is going to be outrageous since more and more ebayers are charging a huge $$$ for "handling"

Pretty much any Pioneer will do, the specs should say whether it auto flips or not. Want to make sure though you get one that can play CAV and CLD, some of the early ones only played one or the other and some OOP things like Disney's Cinderella were CAV and would not work on older players correctly

The PIONEER DVL-700 LASERDISC/ DVD COMBO PLAYER is the hybrid I was talking about and that would probably be one of the better ones since it would have the most up to date specs.

Here is an ebay link grouping them all

http://search.ebay.com/pioneer-laser...jsZ1QQfromZR40

You can get them for as little as $10 to as high as $1000 depending on which version you want and what it comes with (some are no manual, some come with LD, and some are dual cd/ld players, etc)

On the flip side if you only have a few OOP LD's and want them transferred I can do it for you for a small fee mainly to cover the materials (blank discs, shipping) or some other deal we can work out, in the long run it might be cheaper than buying a LD outright, its just an option if you dont want to invest the money into a machine you may not use more than a few times.

lordsmurf 08-07-2005 03:03 PM

I asked my "LD expert" what he thought. Here's his answer:

Quote:

quote:The Pioneer CLD-D704 is considered the best non-Elite laserdisc player ever made for the US market. The earlier CLD-D703 is identical to the 704, except it does not have a factory installed AC-3 RF output (which doesn't matter for capturing anyway)

Some videophiles really like the Pioneer LD-V8000, which was a $4000 industrial model that was frequently used in theme park attractions before digitally stored video came along. They are built like battleships, weigh about 35 pounds, and don't have the "both side" play feature. They generally are much more affordable on the used market than a 703 or 704, and would make a great unit for capturing LD's.

The only units with a better playback picture than the ones I mentioned would maybe be the Pioneer Elite CLD-97 or CLD-99, primarily because they have better Y/C separation filters than the 703/704 does. However, because laserdisc is a native composite video format, it is better to use the composite output on LD players and let the DVD recorder do the Y/C splitting. Today's multi-line, motion adaptive Y/C filters that are in the name brand DVD recorders are far superior to what was in even the most expensive laserdisc players from 10 years ago.

markatisu 08-07-2005 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah its no joke about the weight (which is why I mentioned that ebay is going to be anywhere from $25-50 s/h)

The going rate on ebay for the 704 seems to be right around $75-150 depending, a lot of them dont come with remotes (not a real issue) or manuals (again not a real issue) but you want to be VERY weary of the ones that are AS-IS and not tested or no return policy

Here is my player, its built like a tank and I would hate to have to ship it

Attachment 246

The one LS friend speaks of goes for around $45-80 and then usually $25 s/h

So if you decide to get an LD you should not have to spend much more than $100-150 at the VERY most, I would say you could get one for around $50 if you look carefully, the one I have just ended for $9.99 and s/h was $30

lordgoat666 08-07-2005 04:06 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

battle7 08-08-2005 08:22 AM

markatisu isn't joking about the weight, I had the Pioneer DVL-909 and it easliy weighed a good 20lbs. It was a sweet machine. Had the auot flip and all. It was replaced by the DVL-919 which was DTS capable. Whatever route you take, get insurance.

tobal2 08-12-2005 01:05 AM

In reference to battle7's post above, I have his old unit from a trade we did and it works GREAT.
I'd been looking for one on Ebay as well but I had a hard time jusitfying the shipping/handling that everyone charges (even though they do we a ton!!).
From the little research I'd done, I was convinced that Pioneer was the way to go based on reliability and overall performance vs. Sony and others.

Luckily he lives close enough that we just met up one day and swapped :)

tek 08-13-2005 09:31 AM

I have a Pioneer DVL-909 and also 2 RCA ones. I use the Pioneer one the most and have transferred many LD to dvd and even VHS with excellent results. I agree with Mark however in that it would be easier to send him the LD to transfer rather than buy a machine you would only use once or twice. I have about 150 LD, mostly scifi and horror movies...many not even available on DVD.

lordgoat666 08-14-2005 09:00 AM

I just purchased my first laserdisc player from ebay, the CLD-M301. It cost me $72 w/ shipping from Florida to Hawaii. Not bad, and it also came with 18 movie laserdiscs. Thank you to all that helped me out.